Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Metric or Inches

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Metric or Inches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Metric or Inches?
metric
72%
 72%  [ 29 ]
Inches
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
PNuT wrote:
how do you do a medium gear 72 inch race in metric Confused

Get the events converted... Let's face it, it's much easier saying that you can ride an event with a 7.93m gear than a 100.3"... after all, when you know the metres needed to be covered by one revolution you can work it out with a tape measure... knowing that the tyre depth can have an impact... It's a doddle doing that than having to play with pi and then with the variables of tyre width as well...much more hit and miss with the non-metric method.

Gears are in inches, end of!

I've got gears in my head just like Legro, so no need for a tape measure. Very Happy

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
tauruswho
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ask me what gear I am on, I will always answer in inches. usually 90.6 or 91.8, don't give **** what it is in metric.

another old git I guess. Oh

Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gears in the UK are in inches... but not anywhere else (as far as I know). If my Shiraz ain't blunted my mind, the inch size is equal to the diameter of a wheel that would cover the same distance as the gear/sprocket ratio... so it needs to be multiplied by pi to work out the distance covered...

Explain that to a youngster starting and trying to get the 6.03m distance... it's ok... but if you had to give a measurement and say, multiply by 3.141592... then multiply by 2.5 to get from inches to centimetres...and divide by 100 to get to metres... grrr!!! The inch measurement is not too useful to those not brought up with it.

If there was a novice at any level, it's easier to say that this gear should cover 6.03 metres per revolution...than that it would be equal to a wheel of diameter of 70" or whatever it is...
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
Gears in the UK are in inches... but not anywhere else (as far as I know). If my Shiraz ain't blunted my mind, the inch size is equal to the diameter of a wheel that would cover the same distance as the gear/sprocket ratio... so it needs to be multiplied by pi to work out the distance covered...

Explain that to a youngster starting and trying to get the 6.03m distance... it's ok... but if you had to give a measurement and say, multiply by 3.141592... then multiply by 2.5 to get from inches to centimetres...and divide by 100 to get to metres... grrr!!! The inch measurement is not too useful to those not brought up with it.

If there was a novice at any level, it's easier to say that this gear should cover 6.03 metres per revolution...than that it would be equal to a wheel of diameter of 70" or whatever it is...

Rubbish. Very Happy

Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:

Rubbish. Very Happy

Please elaborate...
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20cm sounds bigger than 8 inches anytime in boasting mode. It's just when 8 CM is the truth.....

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using random mixed units is best. Especially when different measuring methods are used. At my local woodyard if I ask for 6ft of 2X2, the response is "Its metric now so its 5ft 10in of 50X50" Of course the 50X50 is finished planed size, whereas the imperial 2x2 was referring to the size before planing so what you get is 1&7/8in x 1&7/8in just to add to the fun.
On the Campagnolo website there is a "Gear-inch" table which calculates the answer in metric gear developement. Even more strange is a diagram suggested that you should use the rolling circumference of the front wheel to calculate gear ratios!
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:

Rubbish. Very Happy

Please elaborate...

Ok.

It's a load of rubbish. Very Happy

dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some of us who don't care what the gear is - it's always too small for ambitions and too big for fitness... It would be wonderful to be young(er) again!

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:

Rubbish. Very Happy

Please elaborate...

Ok.

Lol...

If that's the level of your justification for inches... then WOW!
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:

Rubbish. Very Happy

Please elaborate...

Ok.

Lol...

If that's the level of your justification for inches... then WOW!

Kid's don't give a flying fanjita mate. They just wanna get on and ride. If they want maths they'll concentrate at school.

Track's where it's at, and inches are what goes. So avit.

You expect too much from VR on a Sunday night. Very Happy

Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try talking inches at a French or Italian or Dutch track... and try explaining gear sizes to kids at our tracks... nah!
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Rafiki wrote:
..than that it would be equal to a wheel of diameter of 70" or whatever it is...

Rubbish. Very Happy

Leave that bong alone. A 70" wheel diameter. Still ride a Penny Farthing do you?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
Try talking inches at a French or Italian or Dutch track... and try explaining gear sizes to kids at our tracks... nah!

The kids I know have no problem with inches.

As for the foreigners, who cares?

Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids you know... well they'll be working in metric at school... perhaps they are being kind in pretending to understand an archaic system at cycling... Familiar is best! Ask them how many of them know how many inches make a foot or a yard... they might not remember their history lessons...
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rafiki wrote:
The kids you know... well they'll be working in metric at school... perhaps they are being kind in pretending to understand an archaic system at cycling... Familiar is best! Ask them how many of them know how many inches make a foot or a yard... they might not remember their history lessons...

I learnt everything in decimal at school, I was born long after decimalisation.

Just get over it, inches it is for gears. If it's lasted for 24 years since decimalisation, it'll last another 24 at least.

Anyone fancy a pint? (or is that 0.56 litres??) Wink

Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talking wine? I'd prefer a bottle... 750ml...
Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and as regards gears... the regulations are in metric... so newbies to the sport will use that. Guess you will have to modernise!

It might help if you have you have a swift 0.56 litres...

Hic! (Did that a few years ago!!!)
ray stuart
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB wrote " I learnt everything in decimal at school, I was born long after decimalisation "
I thought this thread was about metric vs imperial not about decimal. The school I went to taught us to work in any number base, although we mostly practised decimal, binary,bcd, octal and hexadecimal. Some schools though seemed to teach only decimal, possibly because that was sufficient for the expectations of the pupils.
Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ray stuart wrote:
I went to taught us to work in any number base, although we mostly practised decimal, binary,bcd, octal and hexadecimal.

Thought such approaches were only in computing... Perhaps your school was sponsored by CatEye. If not... why not?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: