Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Metric or Inches

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Metric or Inches
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Metric or Inches?
metric
72%
 72%  [ 29 ]
Inches
27%
 27%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 40

Rafiki
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
I'm converting to metric inch by inch

but you are still miles away...
Joe Royle
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked in metric since 1973 when it was introduced in the Construction Industry but I have still retained my CITB metric conversion tables because a lot of the general public still only understand feet and inches. The construction industry only uses metres and millimetres not centimetres and I have never had a problem using metric.

Despite the above my cycling computer is set to the Miles option so I guess that cyclists still prefer to talk in 'miles'. Another thing to remember is that road signs in this country still show distances in miles and carpet shops still like to advertise their goods in square yards.

Last edited by Joe Royle on Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Royle wrote:
I have worked in metric since 1973 when it was introduced in the Construction Industry but I have still retained my CITB metric conversion tables because a lot of the general public still only understand feet and inches. The comstruction industry only uses metres and millimetres not centimetres and I have never had a problem using metric.

Despite the above my cycling computer is set to the Miles option so I guess that cyclists still prefer to talk in 'miles'. Another thing to remember is that road signs in this country still show distances in miles and carpet shops still like to advertise their goods in square yards.

True, but a lot of measurements in construction are only directly converted from imperial and a lot of builders still work in imperial. Doors, for example, are still commonly quoted in inches. Storage containers are quoted in feet.

In the circus that is knows as the Rail industry the track is all measured in feet, and locations along the track are referred to by mileage and chainages. But then our Rail industry is a bit, erm, special. Wink Very Happy

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Joe Royle
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:

True, but a lot of measurements in construction are only directly converted from imperial and a lot of builders still work in imperial. Doors, for example, are still commonly quoted in inches. Storage containers are quoted in feet.

You will find that although builders may talk in imperial - 'you will need a bit of 4 by 2 there mate' you are incorrect in that measurements are converted. Surveys are always carried out in metric and Local Authorities (since the early 80's) refuse to accept drawings for either planning or building regulation drawn in imperial. In addition most materials are only available in metric sizes with the exception of certain joinery items for conversion work from companies such as Jeld-wen.

Carpets are manufactured in metric sizes but advertised in imperial sizes for the general public. It also makes them look cheaper per square yard!
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Royle wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

You will find that although builders may talk in imperial - 'you will need a bit of 4 by 2 there mate' you are incorrect in that measurements are converted. Surveys are always carried out in metric and Local Authorities (since the early 80's) refuse to accept drawings for either planning or building regulation drawn in imperial. In addition most materials are only available in metric sizes with the exception of certain joinery items for conversion work from companies such as Jeld-wen.

Carpets are manufactured in metric sizes but advertised in imperial sizes for the general public. It also makes them look cheaper per square yard!

Standard door is 1981m x 762mm (6ft 6in x 2ft 6in). I agree just about everything is metric though. Builders don't just talk imperial a lot of them work in imperial.

Just though of somewhere else imperial is used and that's property, buy a house and rooms sizes are always in feet. Most things on the railways are measures in feet too...

THis could keep me amused all day if I use my imagination

Simple things for simple minds... Very Happy

Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Joe Royle wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Standard door is 1981m x 762mm (6ft 6in x 2ft 6in). I agree just about everything is metric though. Builders don't just talk imperial a lot of them work in imperial.

Just though of somewhere else imperial is used and that's property, buy a house and rooms sizes are always in feet. Most things on the railways are measures in feet too...

Our property particulars are in metric now (with imperial comparatives) thanks to our 'friends' in Europe.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Joe Royle wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Our property particulars are in metric now (with imperial comparatives) thanks to our 'friends' in Europe.

Not on the houses I've been looking at.

Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Joe Royle wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Grass them up to Trading Standards then.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Joe Royle wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Why? They aren't doing me any harm.

Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Joe Royle wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Why? They aren't doing me any harm.

Because we have spent thousands of pounds making sure all our output is compliant and they haven't.

The law may be an ass but if we all go around disregarding the laws we don't like where would we be?

And giving an estate agent a hard time is always good. Laughing
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it should depend on the property, if it was built in imperial it should be measured in imperial Very Happy

Where do you draw the line though? What about steaks and burgers in restaurants, always in ounces. Wheels on cars, always in inches.

Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Wheels on cars, always in inches.

but a tyres width is in mm and the diameter in inches. Who works that one out?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Good point... tyre pressure is done in imperial too.

Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Megman wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

Good point... tyre pressure is done in imperial too.

bar is metric though.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that everyting is made in MM and then converted to inches for joe pubile I am pretty sure most building materials, timber etc certainly are. 3*2 is 75*50mm (ish)
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:

You measure in metric, but the girlfriend/wife in imperial. Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Joe Royle
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I think it should depend on the property, if it was built in imperial it should be measured in imperial Very Happy

Irrespective of the unit of measurement when the property was built all new work including alterations are done in the metric system or to give it the correct name 'The Systeme International d'Unites' (SI) which was adopted in 1960.

Although small builders might talk in general imperial terms when conversing with the house-owner (I do myself from time to time) most will understand metric quite happily, be ordering materials in metric quantities and be working to metric dimensioned drawings.

The Building Regulations 2000 - Approved Documents which deal with building work do not contain reference to any imperial dimensions.
Joe Royle
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
I think you will find that everyting is made in MM and then converted to inches for joe pubile I am pretty sure most building materials, timber etc certainly are. 3*2 is 75*50mm (ish)

You've hit the nail on the head. Most things are manufactured in metric sizes including carpets that I mentioned earlier but there's this view that 'joe public' want it converting to imperial.
Do you remember when we had both the price per gallon and price per litre at the petrol pumps? Now you only see it advertised in price per litre.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Royle wrote:
Do you remember when we had both the price per gallon and price per litre at the petrol pumps? Now you only see it advertised in price per litre.

People would have heart attacks if they realised what the price per gallon was these days. (Coming up to £4)
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Royle wrote:
alexc wrote:

You've hit the nail on the head. Most things are manufactured in metric sizes including carpets that I mentioned earlier but there's this view that 'joe public' want it converting to imperial.

I know try buying imperial wood in B&Q it cannot be done. Shocked even asking the plebs in the timber section to cut something to 18inches by 16 inches has them scratching their heads.
But go to a small DIY shop and they are the other way round. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: