Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - David Millar?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

David Millar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will David Millar ride for a Protour Team in 2006?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 35 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 53

Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretch armstrong wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
I've trotted out many times on here the approach I think might work better (could not work worse), which is (in summary) to target the teams' management and medical staff and punish them if their riders are caught.
how can you punish others? the athlete and solely the athlete is responsible for any substances he or she decides to take. Confused
Stretch, you are not saying that all doping is carried out without the teams' knowledge, are you? As I understand it, the vast majority is endemic and organised and supplied by the teams, semi-officially.

In any case, it's simply a question of rules. If you make it clear that the teams are responsible for the riders' condition and will be penalised for infraction, they will introduce controls better than the UCI can. And if riders know that (for instance) their prize money and/or wages will be lost if any one of them is found positive, they too will be vigilant.

Remember, I didn't say I had good ideas; just less bad (since nothing can be worse) than the regime we have now.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know if millar we be back on the bike, he always said how it was a job to him, and stopped him enjoying things like the literature he loved. But for my money there's enough riders who weren't good enough to win big races or world champs even when loaded with epo and god knows what, to suggest millar is strong enough to make it back in a team and forge a living, even if clean. He has the class, its whether the motivation's there. Frigo the burk was given a 2nd chance, and millar's squeaky in comparison.
bonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is gutting is that he won the world TT champs by such a margin the chances are he still would have won it clean.
cakeathon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What is gutting is that he won the world TT champs by such a margin the chances are he still would have won it clean.

yes it is, shame he didnt have the belief that he could ride at that level without epo.

Self belief is a much bigger performance enhancer than *CENSORED* IMHO.

"what are you talking about !" - Edna Mode
superstar kyle
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cakeathon wrote:
Quote:

yes it is, shame he didnt have the belief that he could ride at that level without epo.

wasn't it Graham Obree who said that the effects of performance enhancers are all in your head. for what it's worth i hope dave millar comes back, i think his punishment was too harsh, another rider whose punishment i think was far to harsh was Jamie Alberts, it should have been his team banned not him for supplying him with an incorrect list of banned substances.

Kyle
topskull
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: dave millar Reply with quote

I want to see Millar back on the bike that man has class. Yes he cheated himself and us. He pi$$ed me off with the lies.

But I am not too sure if he cheated the results because I could not be sure that he was the only dirty rider.

So let him get on with it!
bonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstar kyle wrote:
cakeathon wrote:
Quote:

wasn't it Graham Obree who said that the effects of performance enhancers are all in your head. for what it's worth i hope dave millar comes back, i think his punishment was too harsh, another rider whose punishment i think was far to harsh was Jamie Alberts, it should have been his team banned not him for supplying him with an incorrect list of banned substances.

Kyle
Whoever it was they were wrong.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamTranter wrote:
I thought he was going to educate school kids about *CENSORED*, I haven't been educated yet; and to my knowledge no-one else has.

Oh so he does coke, heroin, crack as well. Well versed in the subject then.
If he went to schools and talked about EPO they'd all fall asleep
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
AdamTranter wrote:
I thought he was going to educate school kids about *CENSORED*, I haven't been educated yet; and to my knowledge no-one else has.

Oh so he does coke, heroin, crack as well. Well versed in the subject then.
If he went to schools and talked about EPO they'd all fall asleep

Don't tar all kids with the same brush PH.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
cakeathon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPO will make you go faster on a bike - its not all in the head.

However for Dave Millar EPO gave him the belief that he could be on the podium for the worlds. Without it DM didnt believe he could be competitive whereas he was phyisically capable of doing it, if not mentally.

Thus my comment that self belief is a better performance enhancer than *CENSORED*. Its gets the competitor into the right mindset - the winning attitude, that makes him/her look at what he/she needs to do to achieve their goal, be it more training, more rest, better equipment etc etc etc.

"what are you talking about !" - Edna Mode
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Well said Adam

Nice post Adam, but it was Phillipe Gromont who blew the whistle on DM after he got the sack. THEN Millar admitted it.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstar kyle wrote:
cakeathon wrote:
Quote:

Kyle

Obree is totally wrong.
bonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or whoever said it was, can you hear an echo?
murder trainer
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
Lee wrote:
Well said Adam

Nice post Adam, but it was Phillipe Gromont who blew the whistle on DM after he got the sack. THEN Millar admitted it.

...........and it was Phillippe Gaumont who said in his book that DM was basically a guy who was psychologically weak!
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

murder trainer wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
Lee wrote:
Well said Adam

...........and it was Phillippe Gaumont who said in his book that DM was basically a guy who was psychologically weak!

To quote Christine Keeler. ' Well he would say that, wouldn't he?'
I read Paul Kimmage's book, and I don't like that sort of thing. The magic word is OMERTA.
An old Irish rider who I know never mentions anything about it, even though he was disgusted by the widespread use of 'stuff'. It's just chimney corner stuff for the few.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superstar kyle wrote:
cakeathon wrote:
Quote:

Kyle

i'm not sure i agree with you about alberts.

You don't accidentally take stanozolol Exclamation it's an anabolic steroid with a 3 week clearance time. The *CENSORED* of choice for pro's wanting a quick pick up, athletes who've ducked away from the out of competition, rugby players (that corrie womans brother was caught with just that in jan) in the off season and ben johnson in 1988. Stanozolol is an anabolic steroid and not something you accidnetally take because it wasn't on a banned list. You take it because you're in with a bunch of cheats but you will know it's illegal. If alberts is innocent so was ben johnson.
superstar kyle
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if thats the case then i retract my previous statement, i was not to sure exactly what it was he took, however he was only leveling the playing field same as DM.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i my view millar and alberts can be seen as similar as they were led by their culture to believe that it was a necessary step they took their chances and they both got caught.

For a period i was supported by people who believed that to move from national to world class you have to 'gear' up. If you believe everyone's on it it can be a tempting step. I race for my own reasons though. The penalty of 2 years is about right for a culture guilt, if you keep doing it though a life ban is the next step. The tammy thomas stuff, technicality after technicality, in the US was ludicrous though.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
I read Paul Kimmage's book, and I don't like that sort of thing. The magic word is OMERTA.An old Irish rider who I know never mentions anything about it, even though he was disgusted by the widespread use of 'stuff'.
The power of omerta did (and to an extent still does) support the Mafia. That it lost some of its power was a major force in convicting some of the American dons now in the clink.

Silence is certainly what Armstrong believes in, as his treatment of Bassons amongst others shows.

And newspaper stories abound of police officers, doctors and others standing together in silence to prevent one of their number being tried and convicted.

Is this the role model for professional cyclists?

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it now 'our thing'?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: