Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - David Millar?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

David Millar?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will David Millar ride for a Protour Team in 2006?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 35 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 53

Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stretch armstrong wrote:
tell you what Roy nip down to your local red light district and look at some of the poor wasted young lives that have been wrecked by heroin abuse then come back and tell me that Smack should be perfectly Legal and accesible to anyone and everyone
Please don't be patronising; I am not to you.

Are you aware of the change in the patterns of *CENSORED* abuse since it was criminalised? When hard *CENSORED* could no longer be obtained on prescription, usage started to rise. It's been rising ever since, and is now at least tenfold more (that's the lowest estimate I've seen). And people have to buy tainted *CENSORED* and share needles, instead of getting clinically pure stuff. A criminal class of user and supplier has been created.

Young people are more involved now because it's criminal. The dealers don't care who they sell to.

To me the case is utterly convincing that the cure is worse than the disease and that yes for adults, not everyone and everyone, all *CENSORED* should be obtainable. Whether it's the boozer for alcohol, the adults-only off licence for booze and fags (yes I'd toughen up that one) or the chemist for the hard stuff, all obtainable legally and controlled.

Prohibition in the states worsened their alcohol problem; prohibition of hard *CENSORED* here has worsened our *CENSORED* problem. It always worsens the problem. The war on *CENSORED* can't be won and is anyway wrong in prinicple and practice.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz

Last edited by Roy Gardiner on Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:
My views on DM have been well documented - and moderated - on here before. Turn out for to see him do the hour for sure, but lets all turn our backs on him as he rides round. Liar & cheat - good riddance.

Yeah, and what are your qualifications for your insight? You obviously have been racing mainland Europe and at David Millar, Robert Millar level as an amatuer and also on a team like cofidis where Vuelta organisers say they'll refuse the team without David Millar , you been in a Pro Tour team as well?

prat

My qualifications?

Honesty & integrity. I dont do liars or cheats.

Prat.

And yours?

In other words you know little about the job of procyclist in a pro tour team . You never done anything wrong in your life? Never lied, never cheated....you know nothing about the presure on pro cyclists...sling your hook

That a fact?

Done loads wrong in my life but never lied about it. Not much anyway.

And for your information I'm 35 now - when I was in my very early 20's I raced in belgium for a team called Albers Mazda - Zuidland (do your research if you dont believe me) and was an average 1st cat long before the days before elite. The only reason I packed up was that I had a *CENSORED* back in the UK and actually wanted to earn some money rather than living off cabbage and chips and living in a stinking 2 bed flat with 6 other cyclists. So dont get self righteous with me a$$hole - and answer the question or go f*** yourself. Better still - come say it to my face.

No need to take that inflammatory attitude. There are other posters on this site who started in similar circumstances, without a *CENSORED* no doubt. Then networked their way to better living conditions. If you had the same violent and vehement attitude then as you have now, you would never have ingratiated yourself with any decent contacts. IMO you have a big frite to cart autour tes epaules.
Pedal Pusher
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think this thread is a little off track now.
Anyone seen or heard what Mr Millar is up to now?
Sorry to be a killjoy. But Roy, please please please, Shut the F"ck up! And get back to original question.
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:

Quote:
Are you aware of the change in the patterns of *CENSORED* abuse since it was criminalised?

please don't patronise me either

Quote:
When hard *CENSORED* could no longer be obtained on prescription, usage started to rise. It's been rising ever since, and is now at least tenfold more

So this is purely down to the fact that *CENSORED* have been decriminalised and and has nothing to do with wholesale changes in the fabric of modern society, the fact that we live in a global market where the production, supply, and distribution techniques used by the *CENSORED* barons and cartels are as sophisticated (if not more so) as logistical operations run by many large legitimate multinational corporations.

Quote:
instead of getting clinically pure stuff. A criminal class of user and supplier has been created.

So overnight we decriminalise and all of a sudden every junkie and dealer becomes an honest law abiding citizen ? I don't think so

Quote:
yes for adults, not everyone and everyone, all *CENSORED* should be obtainable. Whether it's the boozer for alcohol, the adults-only off licence for booze and fags (yes I'd toughen up that one) or the chemist for the hard stuff, all obtainable legally and controlled.

I was under the impression that it was illegal for under 16s to buy fags and booze, yet by some mirracle they manage to procure the stuff. So young Johnny decides in your world he wants to get hold of some of the real grown up gear from over the counter at boots, problem is that he's only 14, but here comes your local neighbourhood smackhead completely off his face, he gets the stuff free, apply the rules of capitalism and hey presto we have a market

Quote:
Prohibition in the states worsened their alcohol problem; prohibition of hard *CENSORED* here has worsened our *CENSORED* problem

of course we don't have a problem with alcohol in our society do we, because it's freely and legally available people tend to use it in a responsible manner.

Quote:
The war on *CENSORED* can't be won and is anyway wrong in prinicple and practice

So the war currently being waged by the authorities against the people who pedal this filth is wrong in principle and practice ( shaking head in utter disbelief) Rolling Eyes

As a parent this is the one thing that scares me sh!tless. As the law stands currently it tries to provide some kind of safeguard for our children. Okay it's not perfect but it is there to try and protect us from this filth.

Finally Roy if you truly believe that a society such as ours is equipped socialy and morally to deal with Class A *CENSORED* being freely available in a responsible manner then I can only assume you spend your twilight hours barking at the moon.

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedal Pusher wrote:
But Roy, please please please, Shut the F"ck up!
stretch armstrong wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Quote:
Are you aware of the change in the patterns of *CENSORED* abuse since it was criminalised?
please don't patronise me either
Stretch, I apologise; it was not my intent.

The points you made in your reply I've addressed on here before more than once, clearly too often for some, so (to sighs of relief) no more.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Steve D-T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:
My views on DM have been well documented - and moderated - on here before. Turn out for to see him do the hour for sure, but lets all turn our backs on him as he rides round. Liar & cheat - good riddance.

Yeah, and what are your qualifications for your insight? You obviously have been racing mainland Europe and at David Millar, Robert Millar level as an amatuer and also on a team like cofidis where Vuelta organisers say they'll refuse the team without David Millar , you been in a Pro Tour team as well?

prat

My qualifications?

Prat.

And yours?

In other words you know little about the job of procyclist in a pro tour team . You never done anything wrong in your life? Never lied, never cheated....you know nothing about the presure on pro cyclists...sling your hook

That a fact?

And for your information I'm 35 now - when I was in my very early 20's I raced in belgium for a team called Albers Mazda - Zuidland (do your research if you dont believe me) and was an average 1st cat long before the days before elite. The only reason I packed up was that I had a *CENSORED* back in the UK and actually wanted to earn some money rather than living off cabbage and chips and living in a stinking 2 bed flat with 6 other cyclists. So dont get self righteous with me a$$hole - and answer the question or go f*** yourself. Better still - come say it to my face.

No need to take that inflammatory attitude. There are other posters on this site who started in similar circumstances, without a *CENSORED* no doubt. Then networked their way to better living conditions. If you had the same violent and vehement attitude then as you have now, you would never have ingratiated yourself with any decent contacts. IMO you have a big frite to cart autour tes epaules.

Great. Seems to me you are giving the *CENSORED* issue credence by your wide support for DM.

No chips on my shoulder.
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
stretch armstrong wrote:
tell you what Roy nip down to your local red light district and look at some of the poor wasted young lives that have been wrecked by heroin abuse then come back and tell me that Smack should be perfectly Legal and accesible to anyone and everyone

Are you aware of the change in the patterns of *CENSORED* abuse since it was criminalised? When hard *CENSORED* could no longer be obtained on prescription, usage started to rise. It's been rising ever since, and is now at least tenfold more (that's the lowest estimate I've seen). And people have to buy tainted *CENSORED* and share needles, instead of getting clinically pure stuff. A criminal class of user and supplier has been created.

Young people are more involved now because it's criminal. The dealers don't care who they sell to.

To me the case is utterly convincing that the cure is worse than the disease and that yes for adults, not everyone and everyone, all *CENSORED* should be obtainable. Whether it's the boozer for alcohol, the adults-only off licence for booze and fags (yes I'd toughen up that one) or the chemist for the hard stuff, all obtainable legally and controlled.

Prohibition in the states worsened their alcohol problem; prohibition of hard *CENSORED* here has worsened our *CENSORED* problem. It always worsens the problem. The war on *CENSORED* can't be won and is anyway wrong in prinicple and practice.

I don't condone the use of *CENSORED* (in any form) in sport. The user(s) should consider the affect of using the *CENSORED* on their health. If *CENSORED* (stimulents/blood doping/whatever) enable the user to push beyond their normal limits, then something surely has to give at sometime? Obviously the financial rewards will cloud the users judgement although sometimes just the desire to win regardless will be the determining factor.

The use of 'social *CENSORED*' (to stimulate the senses or to achieve relaxation) can and does lead to addiction. Use of cannabis does have serious side affects - apart from the obvious one of addiction. If somebody needs medication then treatment - and supply if need be - should be available as part of the national health.

Cigarettes are highly taxed but are still bought despite the health dangers to those who indulge and those of us who are/were obliged to indulge on a passive basis.

Alcohol and *CENSORED* both contribute to road deaths (and cigarette smoking is not too bright either).

I enjoy an occasional glass of alcohol but that is something that the ex-alcholic cannot do. Reports over the last few days on 'binge drinking' are just another example of 'social addiction' (like the young taking up tobacco smoking and cannabis.)

Whilst *CENSORED* in sport cannot be healthy to the users and the sport's image will be tarnished (and send the wrong signals to the young and other participants), 'social' addiction to alchol, *CENSORED* and tobacco, is both a health hazard to the indulgers and a direct danger to others.

Sad
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeco2 wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
stretch armstrong wrote:

I don't condone the use of *CENSORED* (in any form) in sport. The user(s) should consider the affect of using the *CENSORED* on their health. If *CENSORED* (stimulents/blood doping/whatever) enable the user to push beyond their normal limits, then something surely has to give at sometime? Obviously the financial rewards will cloud the users judgement although sometimes just the desire to win regardless will be the determining factor.

The use of 'social *CENSORED*' (to stimulate the senses or to achieve relaxation) can and does lead to addiction. Use of cannabis does have serious side affects - apart from the obvious one of addiction. If somebody needs medication then treatment - and supply if need be - should be available as part of the national health.

Cigarettes are highly taxed but are still bought despite the health dangers to those who indulge and those of us who are/were obliged to indulge on a passive basis.

Alcohol and *CENSORED* both contribute to road deaths (and cigarette smoking is not too bright either).

I enjoy an occasional glass of alcohol but that is something that the ex-alcholic cannot do. Reports over the last few days on 'binge drinking' are just another example of 'social addiction' (like the young taking up tobacco smoking and cannabis.)

Whilst *CENSORED* in sport cannot be healthy to the users and the sport's image will be tarnished (and send the wrong signals to the young and other participants), 'social' addiction to alchol, *CENSORED* and tobacco, is both a health hazard to the indulgers and a direct danger to others.

Sad

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
joxster
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeco2 wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
stretch armstrong wrote:

Sad

Stop taking the fun out of the sport. Wink

Programming is like 5ex, one mistake and you have to support it for life.
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
I read Paul Kimmage's book, and I don't like that sort of thing. The magic word is OMERTA.An old Irish rider who I know never mentions anything about it, even though he was disgusted by the widespread use of 'stuff'.
The power of omerta did (and to an extent still does) support the Mafia. That it lost some of its power was a major force in convicting some of the American dons now in the clink.

Silence is certainly what Armstrong believes in, as his treatment of Bassons amongst others shows.

And newspaper stories abound of police officers, doctors and others standing together in silence to prevent one of their number being tried and convicted.

Is this the role model for professional cyclists?

Armstrong called for Rumsas to be "banned for life" after his 2nd doping ofence. I think Armstrong's idea is to fix cycling's problems without trashing the sport all these pros make a living from...and will make much less of a living from if bitter ex pros come out blaming the system. Armstrong also wrote privately to Verbruggen about his suspicions about the use of HGH in Spain and this was in the public domain.

Kimmage set out to make a profit from his book ..what he wrote was true..but he didn't need to do it in the way he did. An alias with name changed ?
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
AdamTranter wrote:
I thought he was going to educate school kids about *CENSORED*, I haven't been educated yet; and to my knowledge no-one else has.

Oh so he does coke, heroin, crack as well. Well versed in the subject then.
If he went to schools and talked about EPO they'd all fall asleep

I presume Adam meant juniors with pro cycling..aspirations
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:

prat

My qualifications?

Prat.

And yours?

That a fact?

I dislike your extreme views re David Millar and it shows in my English.

I do believe you and well done on your efforts in Belgium. I did a similar thing in Francefor 18 months back in the 1990s and I rode a number of 1 day and stage races in France and Belgium that David Millar won before turnng pro..this gives me a large amount of respect for him, even though he's broken the rules and cheated his fans. Read up on Hampsten and Boardman's views. They know much more about this situation than you or I, wouldn't you agree?

Will you be booing DM at races?
bonger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't really liken punishment for riders that take *CENSORED* to non athleets that take recreational ilegal *CENSORED*, it's probably more accurate to compare them to cut and shut type second hand car salesmen, they are selling something that isn't within the rules or laws, in other words comitting fraud.
Steve D-T

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - and I acknowledge your views. I am only too aware of the efforts and sacrifices required to make it to a high level. I had neither the talent nor the long term interest to even ride at the average level I was at so credit to those who can go further still. As for the *CENSORED*/cheat issue I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that one. My views are the same irrespective of the rider - they know the risks and I'm left speechless at the continued stupidity of those who do.

I wont be booing Millar if he races again - I just wont turn out to spectate what I think is an utter farce.
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sXe wrote:
Agreed - and I acknowledge your views. I am only too aware of the efforts and sacrifices required to make it to a high level. I had neither the talent nor the long term interest to even ride at the average level I was at so credit to those who can go further still. As for the *CENSORED*/cheat issue I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on that one. My views are the same irrespective of the rider - they know the risks and I'm left speechless at the continued stupidity of those who do.

I wont be booing Millar if he races again - I just wont turn out to spectate what I think is an utter farce.

me too, I didn't have the anywhere near talent to do what guys like DM and VDB and other dope cheats did. When I lived in France and raced in neigbouring countries it wasn't like Drs and talent scouts were coming up and trying to recruit me. At some races you'd see RMO tam cars at the side of rd, Vendee U etc clearly watching for new talent. The impression I got was that you'd have be a fantatsic rider before a talent scout and *CENSORED* dispensing team Dr would approach you. Hence, I respect the guys who won at that level.

But anyway, we seem to have had a simialr experience but developed different opinons. I agree, we can let this one go

I was amazed at DMs progress in 1 season from junior Tour of Ireland 2nd place (mid 1990s) to top 3 in Tour of Region Wallonie stage race (1996) (an absolutely brutal stage race at the time around Flanders and Ardennes area) . DM was pure class as a teenager. It just isn't fair to treat him as only a cheat...he was a very talented bike rider. I hope he returns
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sXe wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:
Lucho wrote:
sXe wrote:

prat

My qualifications?

Prat.

And yours?

That a fact?

Great. Seems to me you are giving the *CENSORED* issue credence by your wide support for DM.

No chips on my shoulder.

I'm not condoning DM at all, or his stupidity regarding all this. When his sentence has expired he should be able to continue his career unhindered. Prisoners who have been freed after serving their sentance have paid their dues to society, and that's the end of that, and that includes murderers. You know as well as I do that there is plenty going on all the time, and it will always be thus.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
AdamTranter wrote:
I thought he was going to educate school kids about *CENSORED*, I haven't been educated yet; and to my knowledge no-one else has.

Oh so he does coke, heroin, crack as well. Well versed in the subject then.
If he went to schools and talked about EPO they'd all fall asleep

not if he phet'ed them up first Wink
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, he serves his ban and is entitled to race again, just like all the others that have been caught, and don't think for a minute he is in the minority of pros (or even british pros) that have charged up in recent years. At least he didn't say it was for his dog, mother in law, toothache etc, only thisafternoon I saw VDB racing again, now there is one *CENSORED* addled loser who should be banned for life.
adimaertens
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be some severe cases of bad memory! Two riders who are currently racing in Britain at our top level have both been positive and both been to Olympic games since! One of our top roadmen of all time got banned in 90's for positive test! Why is Millar public enemy No 1 when loads before him have done exactly the same if not more!
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: VDB no different to most Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
I don't understand, he serves his ban and is entitled to race again, just like all the others that have been caught, and don't think for a minute he is in the minority of pros (or even british pros) that have charged up in recent years. At least he didn't say it was for his dog, mother in law, toothache etc, only thisafternoon I saw VDB racing again, now there is one *CENSORED* addled loser who should be banned for life.

I raced with VDB in 1993 and he was rather a classy rider then...the difference between him and most of the bunch was huge. I'd don't think it is fair to insult him like you have. The sport was rotten with *CENSORED*, so how can you single him out???

Maybe you need to find another sport to watch? mass doping has gone on in the 1990s...wake up and stop singling out individuals and stop trying to pretend the big names weren't *CENSORED* addled losers either
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: