Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Premier Calendar Rolling Enclosures.

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Premier Calendar Rolling Enclosures.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you pay an extra £15 - £20 on your BC membership to see rolling enclosures for all Premier Calendar races?
Yes
65%
 65%  [ 23 ]
No
34%
 34%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 35

mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Premier Calendar Rolling Enclosures. Reply with quote

Bigger fields, foreign teams, bigger UK teams, television, increased exposure, increased membership, snowball effect etc etc??? I would, without doubt!
NickB
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote yes because I want to race some next year and think it would be rather nice to have a road closed, although I will probbaly be behind the road closer for most of the race Wink
mhgregor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I forget to mention safety...sorry?
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted no, not because I'm necessarily against the idea, the rolling road closures work superbly, we used to have 2 police outriders every year for our club's 2-day and they contributed enormously to the safety of the event. BUT before coming up with ideas like this we need to see how much it would actually cost, rather than just say a notional £15-£20, and I'd also rather see the cost added to the entry fee of the Premier Calendar rather than the general membership fee, but this is likely to make the entry prohibitively expensive without serious sponsorship Sad
Stuart

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would advocate sponsership for the series a la Pernod Super Cup etc
racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since in *CENSORED* we'll be paying next year for a compulsory police presence we'll know if a £30 entry fee is sustainable. I suspect not.
Cue usual comments re cost of bike versus cost of race.
bonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but i would pay that to have closed roads for the BTTC. They should make sure the whole mountain bike NPS series is UCI sanctioned before starting on anything else.
Can't they just put the entry up, i would expect to pay £50 to ride the premier series, espically if it had closed roads.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extra entry money would not generate enough income. 80 riders @ £50, would leave about £30 a rider to pay for closure, £2,400.
Which would not have covered the bill for many Premiers. If you need 6 motos and a command car, look at a total of around £400-£500 PER HOUR, with a minimum of at least 6 chargable hours (plus any preparation hours which may be deemed to be needed). This is for minimum cover, about £3,000. Add in a few static pointsmen at about £45 an hour (another £470 each), plus the NEG costs to support the police effort once the traffic gets stopped, plus temporary road closaure costs (council notices in public press), which adds another £3,000 or so.
The best estimate works out at around £7,000 per day of racing.
The add in the higher prize money which is justified at this level of racing, and all the other promotion costs, and look at about £15,000 upwards.
You would need 100 riders to pay £100 entry to even begin to cover this, and even big triathlons can't get away with this much, for much more event and free goodies (average around £50-60).

The only answer is a substantial sponsorship package for the series.
By substantial I mean about £20,000 per race, so 9 premiers and the national championship, a cool £*CENSORED*.
Any leads, anyone? I'm happy to sell/negotiate for close to nothing, if it solves the problem, as I do it for a living in a different sphere.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:
Extra entry money would not generate enough income. 80 riders @ £50, would leave about £30 a rider to pay for closure, £2,400.
Which would not have covered the bill for many Premiers. If you need 6 motos and a command car, look at a total of around £400-£500 PER HOUR, with a minimum of at least 6 chargable hours (plus any preparation hours which may be deemed to be needed). This is for minimum cover, about £3,000. Add in a few static pointsmen at about £45 an hour (another £470 each), plus the NEG costs to support the police effort once the traffic gets stopped, plus temporary road closaure costs (council notices in public press), which adds another £3,000 or so.
The best estimate works out at around £7,000 per day of racing.
The add in the higher prize money which is justified at this level of racing, and all the other promotion costs, and look at about £15,000 upwards.
You would need 100 riders to pay £100 entry to even begin to cover this, and even big triathlons can't get away with this much, for much more event and free goodies (average around £50-60).

By substantial I mean about £20,000 per race, so 9 premiers and the national championship, a cool £*CENSORED*.
Any leads, anyone? I'm happy to sell/negotiate for close to nothing, if it solves the problem, as I do it for a living in a different sphere.

You also need to take into account Doc's bar bill if you get him up there the night before Wink
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest that circa 200 riders per event should be the target. Anyone out of contention to be pulled out. Can be done, should be done. In fact, it is done in the lands where where common sense prevails. Cool
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:

Royal Dutch Shell make that much profit in about 11secs, I'm sure they can afford it. Rolling Eyes

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:

exactly the reason why BC has to make some kind of investment now in order to make the premier calendar a marketable product.

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think another £20 on membership is getting towards a figure where occasional racers are going to look at it at the start of the season and think they wont bother getting a licence/membership.
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Butcher wrote:
I think another £20 on membership is getting towards a figure where occasional racers are going to look at it at the start of the season and think they wont bother getting a licence/membership.

Agreed...it's almost there now!
The BCF tell us what value for money our licences are and how much cheaper they are than countries abroad....what they don't tell you is, if you raced in Belgium most of your entry fee is a deposit, for the number, and it costs you only a pound or two to race. In addition, you could race just about every day of the week from feb to oct if you wanted!
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be a student in september, and if it goes up, I'm gonna have to seriously consider looking for a sponsor or a sponsored club...
Mossy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Butcher wrote:

exactly. And why should an occassional/would be racer necessarily have any interest whatsoever in the premier calendar series? Charge a bigger entry fee for the spectators in the grandstands.

Politicians reckon they are all for encouraging people into sport and for promoting sport. prem calendar also potential boost for local tourism (and national tourism for that matter). Police should be told to only charge the actual extra cost of policing bike races ( as against not doing it) rather than the standard rates which include for overheads, vehicle depreciation, their insurance costs etc etc . this would reduce the cost to about one third for a kick off.

But the priority for BC should be to get occassional racers to race more often and more people to race occassionaly. Do that and sponsorship (and filled grandstands) for Prem C events might follow.

How many Prem Cal events are there? more than half a dozen is too many at the present time.
rghit pclae.
Mossy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhodopsin wrote:
Emyr42 wrote:
I'll be a student in september, and if it goes up, I'm gonna have to seriously consider looking for a sponsor or a sponsored club...

or you'll have to drink less Wink

The government should make available low interest loans to anyone taking out a BC licence to be paid back with 10% of all your prizemoney, and written off if not paid back when you reach fifty.
rghit pclae.
bonger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:

If you are good enough to get something for free why don't you do that whatever the price of membership and licence?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: