Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How long has the comic got to go?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How long has the comic got to go?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long before Cycling weekly packs up?
Less than 1 year
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Less than two years
29%
 29%  [ 12 ]
less than 5 years
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 41

Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

How long before it packs up?
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

longer than that because there's people like me hoping in vain that one day they will start sending reporters and photographers to track events
PNuT

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

track events lmfao Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Andrew R
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:
longer than that because there's people like me hoping in vain that one day they will start sending reporters and photographers to track events

Fat chance of that I'm afraid Crying or Very sad
Chr!s B.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:

Any extra race coverage beyond a few paragraphs about a Prem Cal, or 4 pages on an Obree crash would be enough for me to continue my subscription..

Race Bike of the year - up Mont Ventoux?? Well, we're all gonna race up there arent we...

I do wonder what they will fill it with, now that Lance has retired..
Probably still fill it with Lance though.
George Minion
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

Stuart wrote:

What,s this being asked for?
The comic is not as bad as some people are saying.They are moving with the times,whether some diehards like it or not Granfondo/Audax type events are the way forward.Over 650 rode the Phil and Friends,the Fred Whitton was oversubscribed,the Polkadot and Cotswold rides were well supported.The comic is covering what a majority of riders now want.
Add TONY to that and REMOVE an American(in fact ALL Americans) and the comic will have it RIGHT.

A happy subscriber
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Des

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it ain't what the majority of its readership want, hence its decline in readership figures when BC membership is rising and cycling in general is becoming more popular.
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like riding the sportif events but an account of how one of their staff got on doesn't make good reading, or maybe they just don't employ good enough writers - there's other mags for that sort of thing anyway and Cycling+ does it better.
edtog
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple, when it stops making money for IPC Country & Leisure Media.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edtog wrote:
Simple, when it stops making money for IPC Country & Leisure Media.

Good answer. So when's that?

It's a good job flights to Italy are cheap though or they'd be knackered.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Artful Dodger
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A subscription based service supplying pdf to your email address, cost .50-1.00 pound a shot, its the way of the future for print based media me thinks (including newspapers) Surprised
stevecee
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I do not have time to read it cover to cover like in the old days…
Its size and content is fine and dandy for me….
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artful Dodger wrote:
A subscription based service supplying pdf to your email address, cost .50-1.00 pound a shot, its the way of the future for print based media me thinks (including newspapers) Surprised

We get that for free from the bc website and cyclingnews. But I still like getting the comic and it would be a sad day if it disappeared.
Coggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like reading the bike reviews, because I have no idea what to buy.
Stuart

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coggy wrote:
I like reading the bike reviews, because I have no idea what to buy.

buy a bike - they're great once you get yer balance. They need to be licensed in Helvetia though
grega
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

George Minion wrote:
Stuart wrote:

The comic is not as bad as some people are saying.They are moving with the times,whether some diehards like it or not Granfondo/Audax type events are the way forward.Over 650 rode the Phil and Friends,the Fred Whitton was oversubscribed,the Polkadot and Cotswold rides were well supported.The comic is covering what a majority of riders now want.
Add TONY to that and REMOVE an American(in fact ALL Americans) and the comic will have it RIGHT.

A happy subscriber

Big Deal, 650 rode "Phil and Freinds" how about the 1000s of marshalls,tea ladies, organisers and riders who compete week in and week out.... Where`s the reporting on there efforts. I don`t want to read about the C.W staffers jolly boys outing to France......
ph
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

George Minion wrote:
Stuart wrote:

A happy subscriber

I agree, its not that bad, but they used to do their own mass rides take the 100 mile manchester one in 94 maybe a way forward for them

They give a different take on the ride even as it maybe jobs for the boys, maybe Mr Bell doing a long ride would be more enteraining!!!!!
George Minion
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

grega wrote:
George Minion wrote:
Stuart wrote:

A happy subscriber

Big Deal, 650 rode "Phil and Freinds" how about the 1000s of marshalls,tea ladies, organisers and riders who compete week in and week out.... Where`s the reporting on there efforts. I don`t want to read about the C.W staffers jolly boys outing to France......

More interesting than "what Lance ,Tyler and Stuart Dangerfield did every week" even when they are not competing.
Emma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

grega wrote:
George Minion wrote:
Stuart wrote:

A happy subscriber

What you want to read about the tea ladies, marshalls and organisers!! They could have a spot, Tea lady/ marshall of the week, a short biography, why they enjoy making tea etc etc, it's sure to shift loads of copies every week Confused
George Minion
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How long has the comic got to go? Reply with quote

Emma wrote:
grega wrote:
George Minion wrote:
Stuart wrote:

A happy subscriber

What you want to read about the tea ladies, marshalls and organisers!! They could have a spot, Tea lady/ marshall of the week, a short biography, why they enjoy making tea etc etc, it's sure to shift loads of copies every week Confused

As Jesse,s favourite tea maker I would NOT be willing to share my tea making methods with the readers of CW,thats going to remain my knowledge only. Laughing Laughing

Some cake receipies and favourite marshelling postions would be gripping reading,move over TB,why have whit when we can have s**t.
Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: