Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How long has the comic got to go?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How long has the comic got to go?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long before Cycling weekly packs up?
Less than 1 year
14%
 14%  [ 6 ]
Less than two years
29%
 29%  [ 12 ]
less than 5 years
56%
 56%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 41

mk81
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdp wrote:

"essential health check( check your cleats or your foot may pull out of the pedal)"

Priceless!

Well, actually it's not priceless. It's £2.20 for these nuggets of wisdom.

This sounds like "The Ultimate Survival Guide" revisited.

"Sore legs

Symptoms: sore legs

Possible cause: cycling too much"

I am going to rush down to WH Smith after work to get hold of a copy. My training has been missing something and it was my cleats clipping out all along.
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling, Cycling and Mopeds, Cycling, Cycling inc. Cycle Sport, Cycling, Cycling Weekly - call it what you will - always been cack and always will be. Sad

Best years were when Alan *CENSORED* was at the helm dragging out of the dark ages. Smile

Compare with the big selling MCN (Motor Cycle News), newspaper format and packed with good stuff. A weekly cycling paper like that would be worth buying. Very Happy
eh
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets face it part of the problem the comic has is due to cyclingnews and the BC site. Cyclingnews can cover the Pro tour live or at worst by the end of the day with write ups and photos. The BC do the same for domestic racing. If you were the editor of the comic would you bother doing a write up of a Premier calander event, knowing that most of your audience has already read an account on the BC site? No one wants to read about TTs since than can be summarised in "Joe Bloggs rode a 51 min time to win the RG32 dual carrageway course on sunday" ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

No the comic needs to reposition its self in the market to attract new readers who aren't into racing (yet) e.g. Etape reports, bike reviews etc. But likewise aren't interested in touring or the CTC which C+ seems to specalise in. Seems to me that Runners World is probably the type of magazine the comic would like to be for roadies i.e. articles on how to do your first crit/TT and training advice.
Matteo
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the editor, the Havant debacle was the riders own fault and it was very kind of that nice Mr Policeman to let the race continue at all. Shocked
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reckon a lot of you aren't happy unless you are moaning about something. Laughing

Nothing wrong with Cycling Weekly. I go into the local newsagents, flick through the comic, if there is something of interest to me I buy it and if not I don't, simple as that.

If anybody wants to see articles on a particular aspect of cycling that does not tend to come up in enough depth or often enough then they should perhaps use the Internet (that they are wont to use for reading results etc) to send in emails asking for other coverage. That way CW will have more of an idea what people want to read about.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
Reckon a lot of you aren't happy unless you are moaning about something. Laughing

Nothing wrong with Cycling Weekly. I go into the local newsagents, flick through the comic, if there is something of interest to me I buy it and if not I don't, simple as that.

If anybody wants to see articles on a particular aspect of cycling that does not tend to come up in enough depth or often enough then they should perhaps use the Internet (that they are wont to use for reading results etc) to send in emails asking for other coverage. That way CW will have more of an idea what people want to read about.

Emailed 'em. No response. b0ll0x to 'em.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Dave Thomas
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Grega' is absolutely spot on with his comment...
This week's comic could be my last ever.
I can no longer cope with reading about nobody
Southern cyclojournos, who have to use 39x25 to get
over a railway bridge, going on their summer holidays.

Any room for interviews with John Tanner?
Mark Lovatt? In fact ANY Premier Calendar riders?

Rant over, stay safe on the roads...........
Stuart Hallam
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At work last week, a colleague gave me 4 copies of International Cycle Sport from the seventies and early eighties.

No there was a publication! What an amazing amount of content! Plenty of stories of stars from mainland Europe and loads of class journalism from UK. One edition featured the 1974 Worlds - 12 A4 pages of copy!

How did Peter Fretwell produce such a brilliant publication?

If only CW was 1/10th as interesting!

Without being actively anti CW, I am afraid that, having bought the comic religiously from 1963 to 2002, I now buy as and when I stumble across it. I would have no interest any more in a subscription and I would not go to a second outlet especially to buy a copy.

Maybe there is a circulation message there if the editor is reading this thread. I would expect to be fired if the revenue of businesses that I have run had been in steady decline for 4 years.
mk81
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh wrote:
Lets face it part of the problem the comic has is due to cyclingnews and the BC site. Cyclingnews can cover the Pro tour live or at worst by the end of the day with write ups and photos. The BC do the same for domestic racing. If you were the editor of the comic would you bother doing a write up of a Premier calander event, knowing that most of your audience has already read an account on the BC site? No one wants to read about TTs since than can be summarised in "Joe Bloggs rode a 51 min time to win the RG32 dual carrageway course on sunday" ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

No the comic needs to reposition its self in the market to attract new readers who aren't into racing (yet) e.g. Etape reports, bike reviews etc. But likewise aren't interested in touring or the CTC which C+ seems to specalise in. Seems to me that Runners World is probably the type of magazine the comic would like to be for roadies i.e. articles on how to do your first crit/TT and training advice.

In a nutshell this is what Cycling Weekly does. Do you write for them?

I think there's a *CENSORED* in the market for a new magazine that suits racing cyclists' desires/needs and leaves the 80% nonsense out. And bear in mind not everyone is online yet so they are completely oblivious to certain results that are omitted from the magazine.

I have been vocal on this topic because I think Cycling Weekly is getting really geeky just to sell copies at a higher price. The original readership should be remembered from the days before 5 pages of training tips and 4 pages of pictures of CW posing on new bikes in sunnier climes.
RussM
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Hallam wrote:

Maybe there is a circulation message there if the editor is reading this thread. I would expect to be fired if the revenue of businesses that I have run had been in steady decline for 4 years.

I did buy it every week, up until a few weeks ago!

I'd buy it most weeks on a trip to Asda on the way home from work!

But they've stopped stocking it! Rolling Eyes

So now it's the cycling weekly hunt? Evil or Very Mad

Can't buy it anywhere in east lancashire apart from WHSMITHS (odd exception where you've got to be there first thing Thurs morning?)! Evil or Very Mad

Should stop looking for it but keep thinking it will change??? Confused Confused Confused
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
The next step along the rocky road was that they now required the stuff in QuarkXPress to conform with their paging formats.
Tony is good at this and can lay out a whole newspaper if necessary.
BTW Quark is not cheap to buy as Software as it is Industry standard, much the same as High End Photoshop. Everything you see on the shelves is done this way.

Which magazine asks for this then?
Copy can easily be pasted and formatted from anything from Simpletext to a Word file into Quark and then formatted accordingly. I see no need to ask someone to spend £800+ on software for text only and know of no-one who does this.
smithers
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only been reading CW for a few years but i reckon it's a top mag, good value. Compare it with a similar publication like Athletics Weekly and it sh*ts on it from a great height.
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athletics Weekly must be absolutely awful then!

I too have been buying CW every week from 1974 until a few weeks ago. In the last 2 years, I kept hoping that it would get better but it just keeps getting worse. Hardly any domestic racing and endless bike reviews and recycled training tips.
Ventoux110700
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuart Hallam wrote:
At work last week, a colleague gave me 4 copies of International Cycle Sport from the seventies and early eighties.

No there was a publication! What an amazing amount of content! Plenty of stories of stars from mainland Europe and loads of class journalism from UK. One edition featured the 1974 Worlds - 12 A4 pages of copy!

How did Peter Fretwell produce such a brilliant publication?

Started buying ICS at 15, it got me hooked on bike racing forever, fantastic reports on UK and Continental racing. Managed to buy earlier editions from clubmate & have every issue .... still read em' today.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paperazzi/sets/
Macbiskit
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminally spiralling down the U Bend and I still keep buying it.

Like Russ M I still beleieve it can pull up from a nose dive. Every week I read it and think it can get better only to read what captures my attention in 10 minutes.

WAKE GARBUTT
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I know I have a vested interest, and I know I've said this before, but I've been reading CW since 1969, and I've been buying it since 1982 when I left the family home (my dad used to buy it then), and yes, I still pay for it on subscription today, despite the fact that I write for the mag.
Even taking into account the aforementioned vested interests, I really don't see what the problem is, and why this is a regular MoanFest on VR.
CW has most of the RR, track and TT results from the UK every week, it has features which appeal to those who are new to cycling, it has interviews and news from the UK and international racing, and you can even buy bikes and stuff from the ads in the back. And of course, you can read my hand crafted, top quality sh1te every week.
Okay, so there might be things that we all think could be better, but face it, CW is the only weekly mag we have. And as a reader for the last 36 years, I'd hate to see it go. And of course, as a contributor who relies on it to pay the *CENSORED*, I'd really hate to see it go! Wink
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. I've just had a thought. Tell me what you'd like to see in CW that isn't already there, and I'll see if I can have a chat with the editor. And keep it clean and sensible... Shocked You can even PM me is you like. Laughing
Coggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we like to moan !
Its a Brit trait methinks. But moaning nonetheless the comic has gone downhill, I last read it in the 1980s, then started again in 2002, and was quite surprised at some of the nonsense articles. Like who chooses a bike after reading a guide in CW ? Who cares about frame angles or the length of a top tube ?
grega
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
Okay. I've just had a thought. Tell me what you'd like to see in CW that isn't already there, and I'll see if I can have a chat with the editor. And keep it clean and sensible... Shocked You can even PM me is you like. Laughing

Its the complete dis-regard of Domestic racing, recycled tranning tips, coverage of foreign racing which we can see if we want to in cycle sport, it basically reproduces cycle sport every week. And I can`t stand reading endless reviews of how all the jouno`s in the office buuger off abroad on £4000 bikes, race each other up diffrent mountains week in week out, tell us how hard it is, one review of a ride up a mountain on 39x25 is much the same as another one to me.... But its the dis-regard of British racing I can`t stand, Years ago Rolling Eyes (I know its teduious) But as a junior or your average club rider nothing beats seeing your name in the results, as a junior it gives you something to work for and to strive to achieve, and to me it appears C.W has no interest in this. Perhaps all the jouno`s were crap as racers, never got here name in C.W and are now making up for time!!!!
TW@

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
CW has most of the RR, track and TT results from the UK every week, it has features which appeal to those who are new to cycling, it has interviews and news from the UK and international racing, and you can even buy bikes and stuff from the ads in the back.

Races - no it doesn't anymore.
News from the UK - more like Keith Binghams latest rant on MPs or cars every week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: