Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should Lance Comeback?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should Lance Comeback?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Lance Comeback?
Yes
45%
 45%  [ 22 ]
No
54%
 54%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 48

www_therising_co_nr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Should Lance Comeback? Reply with quote

Here is a statement from Lance regarding his career:

"While I'm absolutely enjoying my time as a retired athlete with Sheryl and the kids, the recent smear campaign out of France has awoken my competitive side. I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances but I will no longer rule it out..." - Lance Armstrong

Should he comeback, what do you think?
I think whats done is done, he says he has retired that should be it.

Andy
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He won't do it. That's a remark for domestic (yank) consumption.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I think it will make for a far more interesting race in 06 as everyone will be waiting/hoping for him to blow and get beat. The other teams will likely be more prepared to take on the Tour after the recent shuffle of team leader types and the knowledge that Basso is secure at CSC.

Lance would win it just as easily though I reckon.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance should make it more of a race by having to ride on a tandem with Mike Tyson on the back. Would be much better.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, why not? He'd have a fine chance of winning again and, if he didn't, he'd have the option of being the world's finest team-mate and repaying some of the dedication he's received over the years.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
NickB
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh you never know he might lose Shocked Wink
ph
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be good to see him lose, but if he does ride, he wont be there to make the numbers up

Remember he has a contract till dec 06
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Lance should do TDF again. How many days a year has he raced in the last 5 years? I count roughly around 35 days a year...short one week stage races plus the TDF and the go home. His total days for 5 years will be little more than Kelly did in 1 season. he's probably not burned out his body too much, unlike Indurain and Hinault
Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
Yes. I think it will make for a far more interesting race in 06 as everyone will be waiting/hoping for him to blow and get beat. The other teams will likely be more prepared to take on the Tour after the recent shuffle of team leader types and the knowledge that Basso is secure at CSC.

isn't that what everyone has been waiting for for the last 6 years Question
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Rocket wrote:
Gary K wrote:

Pocket Rocket...are you Steve Joughin?...he was called the pocket rocket. Hope you are. I've not seen Steve Joughin in years...class cyclist and good chap as well.
Pocket Rocket
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucho wrote:
Pocket Rocket wrote:
Gary K wrote:

Pocket Rocket...are you Steve Joughin?...he was called the pocket rocket. Hope you are. I've not seen Steve Joughin in years...class cyclist and good chap as well.

no, you've asked me that before btw Rolling Eyes
Lucho
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket Rocket wrote:
Lucho wrote:
Pocket Rocket wrote:
Gary K wrote:

no, you've asked me that before btw Rolling Eyes

sorry m8, forgot...
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No he should stick to what he decided he was going to do....

didn't he say he missed his children...? Obviously not THAT much then eh?

I also would have thought he would have thicker skin also...

Rich
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Thrill wrote:

didn't he say he missed his children...? Obviously not THAT much then eh?

I bet he's just spent the American schools summer holidays with them - and changed his mind! Laughing

Chr!s B.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why shouldnt he do it?? I doubt he will, but??
Only he knows what is required to win a T de F at the moment.

I personally think it would make a nice change for a star to return to their sport for pride - not because they need the money..

If he doesnt win, he wont be far away, unlike recent Boxers etc. who have thought that returning to the top level competition is dead easy.
TREK
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armstrong to train with team this winter

This report filed September 7, 2005

PARIS (AP) - Lance Armstrong plans to train with his team this winter, increasing speculation he will end his retirement and attempt an eighth straight Tour de France win.

"It's definitely an open possibility, I know he is on the bike," Discovery Channel team director Johan Bruyneel told The Associated Press in a telephone interview Wednesday.

"He absolutely wants to be part of the training camp in December and wants to get fit to compete with the guys there," Bruyneel said, adding that Armstrong can decide to return as late as February.

When Armstrong retired in July after his seventh straight Tour win, Bruyneel had to decide whether to recruit a new team leader. He opted not to do so, suggesting the door may have been kept open for the Texan.

"We didn't really look for somebody to replace him," Bruyneel said. "For one there is nobody, not a strong leader like he was. Without him we have a very good team ... but not the favorites."

The Amaury Sport Organization, which organizes the Tour, would not comment on the speculation.

"We will express ourselves only if and when he decides to come out of retirement," spokesman Christophe Marchadier said. "There is nothing to stop him coming back on the Tour as a professional cyclist."

Armstrong, who turns 34 later this month, won this year's Tour by a comfortable margin _ 4 minutes, 40 seconds ahead of Italian Ivan Basso and 6:21 ahead of Jan Ullrich of Germany.

"I'm sure he could win (another Tour)," Bruyneel said. "The way he won this year ... everything pretty much under control and he never showed any weakness. He has another Tour in his legs yet."

Armstrong, who announced his engagement Monday to rock singer Sheryl Crow, issued a statement Tuesday confirming that he's considering a comeback in part to rankle French media.

On August 23, sports daily L'Equipe, which is owned by the Tour organizer, reported it had evidence that six of Armstrong's urine samples from the 1999 Tour tested positive last year for the blood booster EPO. The substance was banned in 1999, but there was no reliable test at the time.

"I think he's been very offended," Bruyneel said. "If you know him he doesn't need a lot to find some motivation. I think it woke up the competitive side of him."

Should Armstrong return, the media scrutiny surrounding him would be intense and he would likely receive a hostile reception from the French public.

"He proved in the past that he can deal with that. He is at his maximum under pressure," Bruyneel said. "Physically and mentally he can deal with a lot."
kieran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes he should come back Cool even if he does the race is still open we all saw the ttt so we know his oppisition is getting better and better,maybe this year he will struggle more?
Chr!s B.
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieran wrote:
yes he should come back Cool even if he does, the race is still open. We all saw the ttt so we know his oppisition is getting better and better, maybe this (next) year he will struggle more?

Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Should Lance Comeback? Reply with quote

www_therising_co_nr wrote:
Here is a statement from Lance regarding his career:

"While I'm absolutely enjoying my time as a retired athlete with Sheryl and the kids, the recent smear campaign out of France has awoken my competitive side. I'm not willing to put a percentage on the chances but I will no longer rule it out..." - Lance Armstrong

Should he comeback, what do you think?
I think whats done is done, he says he has retired that should be it.

Andy

come back? has he been away then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: