Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - winter training

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

winter training
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:00 am    Post subject: winter training Reply with quote

For those in the Loughborough area - Team Bradgate training rides are up and running now - Starting from the old Station car park, Barrow On Soar ( next to the roundabout at High Street/Bridge Street) at 0900hrs every Sunday.
Rides currently about 3 hrs averaging 18 - 19 mph.
Everyone welcome Wink
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

Dave Wilkes wrote:
For those in the Loughborough area - Team Bradgate training rides are up and running now - Starting from the old Station car park, Barrow On Soar ( next to the roundabout at High Street/Bridge Street) at 0900hrs every Sunday.
Everyone welcome Wink

Not trying to be funny Dave, but what about the riders that cant average 18-19 in Winter (or summer) Thats quite fast unless its on a flat course with no traffic.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.hulbert/

Last edited by qcscmh on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loughbrough is pretty flat bar the odd brick wall. Also in a group doing turns on the front its not that fast at all. About 30KpH isnt it? And im sure if your strugerling they would let you skip a turn.
TW@

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
Everyone welcome Wink

Not trying to be funny Dave, but what about the riders that cant average 18-19 in Winter (or summer) Thats quite fast unless its on a flat course with no traffic.

They can live down South instead
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

TW@ wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
Everyone welcome Wink

thats why I live down here then - i only average 17mph on my runs Sad
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

qcscmh wrote:
TW@ wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
For those in the Loughborough area - Team Bradgate training rides are up and running now - Starting from the old Station car park, Barrow On Soar ( next to the roundabout at High Street/Bridge Street) at 0900hrs every Sunday. Rides currently about 3 hrs averaging 18 - 19 mph.
Everyone welcome Wink

I wonder if Martin's is a calculated average and 18-19 is cruising speed? To average 19 the group would need to be rolling consistently at 22+ as even slowing for corners and junctions hammers the average.

Ah, but that's here in crowded *CENSORED*, maybe it's different in Barrow on Soar.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
bonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are starting this Saturday too. 09:30 at the shop for around 5 hours going back past the start after about 3 hours. 17/18mph. Also Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at the same time and speed.
Everyone without mudguards welcome as long as the roads are dry.
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Yorkshire ride avg 24 mph 7 hours
everyday except sunday when we do 8 hours
bring oxygen
keeping it real
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your in Devon over the winter your welcome come out on the Mid Devon CC ride.

A ride, This ride caters for the racing group (or those wishing to break into racing) intent on maintaining their fitness and reaching new goals in the coming season. The rides are 60 - 70 miles long and average 18 - 20 mph with a tea stop at half distance.

B ride, This ride is aimed at the experienced club cyclist who enjoy a sociable ride. Distance covered 40 - 50 miles at 15- 18mph.

C ride The aim of this group is to encourage new members to participate in club riding and gives easy access to anyone wishing to take up cycle sport. Distance 20 - 30 miles at an comfortable pace.

Below is a list of destinations for the A & B runs.

LEAVE, ABBROOK PARK SOCIAL CLUB, KINGSTEIGNTON
SUNDAYS AT 09.00 HOURS

Oct 9 Torcross – The Shanty Cabin
Oct 16 Princetown
Oct 23 Chagford – Bullers Arms
Oct 29 (Club 75th Dinner & Prize Presentation)
Oct 30 Dartmoor Devil – start Bovey Tracey (official entries only)
Oct 30 Introduction clubrun for new members – Bovey Tracey
Nov 6 Okehampton – The Coffee Pot
Nov 13 Clyst St.Mary - St Bridget Garden Centre
Nov 20 Princetown
Nov 27 Lee Mill - Tesco
Dec 4 Winkleigh
Dec 11 Bigbury – Bay Café
Dec 18 Powderham – Garden Centre
Dec 26 (mon) Social Time Trial then “gathering” at Abbrook
Jan 1 Willand – Willand Cafe
Jan 7 Okehampton – The Coffee Pot
Jan 15 Clyst St Mary – St Bridget Garden Centre
Jan 21/22 YHA weekend – destination to be decided
Jan 22 Meet the youth hostellers
Jan 29 Reliability Ride 100 miles and 100km
Feb 5 Bigbury - Bay Cafe
Feb 12 Ermington – Reading Rooms
Feb 19 Ide – Village Hall or School Hall
Feb 26 Torcross – The Shanty Cabin
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
Everyone welcome Wink

Aint that hard in a group
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those in the Loughborough area on a Saturday morning - meet at the fountain outside the Loboro Uni Student Union at 9am. 3hrs, ish, I s'pose. 18mph avg (?). Often many of the same riders as the aforementioned Bradgate ride on Sunday. Also Wednesdays, 1.30pm.
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
We are starting this Saturday too. 09:30 at the shop for around 5 hours going back past the start after about 3 hours. 17/18mph. Also Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at the same time and speed.

What is this mudguards rubbish.... ?
bonger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-C wrote:
bonger wrote:

What is this mudguards rubbish.... ?
I don't like training without them in the wet. And i don't train with people without them in the wet.
Dave Wilkes
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

TW@ wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
Everyone welcome Wink

quite so Tim!
I joined them for a while last week and we were doing 22,s - 23's on the flat. Which for me was a bit quick, but then I am a bit of an old git Embarassed the rest seemed to cope with it and the ride averaged 18mph so I was told. If you can't do that, then join an old 'un like me and plod round at 17mph Wink

BTW, the speed will probably go up by the new year Wink as they're only cruising at the mo Shocked
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
TW@ wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
For those in the Loughborough area - Team Bradgate training rides are up and running now - Starting from the old Station car park, Barrow On Soar ( next to the roundabout at High Street/Bridge Street) at 0900hrs every Sunday. Rides currently about 3 hrs averaging 18 - 19 mph.
Everyone welcome Wink

I wonder if Martin's is a calculated average and 18-19 is cruising speed? To average 19 the group would need to be rolling consistently at 22+ as even slowing for corners and junctions hammers the average.

Ah, but that's here in crowded *CENSORED*, maybe it's different in Barrow on Soar.

My average is over 4 hrs on the puter - which as you say takes into account any delays and over varied terrain. Thats also on my own or with 1/2/ other riders.
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

qcscmh wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
TW@ wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
Everyone welcome Wink

My average is over 4 hrs on the puter - which as you say takes into account any delays and over varied terrain. Thats also on my own or with 1/2/ other riders.

In the time when I did train, I would typically average ~ 18mph for a 4+ hr ride on me own on reasonably hilly routes. I say this after examining all my power-meter files
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: winter training Reply with quote

Big-C wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
TW@ wrote:
qcscmh wrote:
Dave Wilkes wrote:
Everyone welcome Wink

In the time when I did train, I would typically average ~ 18mph for a 4+ hr ride on me own on reasonably hilly routes. I say this after examining all my power-meter files

Sounds about right, I just ride slower on my midweek rides.

my better average's when I try harder is about 18-20
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I average a squillion miles a seconds when I'm training, and can do 15 hours solid on one square of kendal mint cake. Cool

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Dave Thomas
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, this is frightening for Autumn rides....
I usually average 16mph, I think I'll have to
start pressing on a bit.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I average a squillion miles a seconds when I'm training, and can do 15 hours solid on one square of kendal mint cake. Cool

but how do you ride on pies Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: