Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Average miles per week in winter.
below 50
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
50-60
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
60-70
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
70-80
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
80-90
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
100-150
37%
 37%  [ 27 ]
150+ (please state)
31%
 31%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 72

scotsbigfella
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont do any training, full stop! summer or winter!
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo! Aren't you baaaad?
Fashion Man 1980
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train to hours. Each ride is specific but is measured in time rather than distance. Such as three hour ride at 'x' percentage heart-rate or maintaining 'x' watts. Some rides may contain efforts or specific work etc.

Last week was first week back training after rest period. Did just over 15 hours and will maintain that until the end of the month. Then increase training (distance and intensity) systematically (sp) over the next few months. Will be doing between 22-25 hours per week in February. Then go Sardinia in March, doing big hours again with specifics. Then racing in April onwards.
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing Bettini quite well I think his question was aimed at oct/nov/dec - I think that the results are skewed by peoples jan/feb/mar miles. Most racers will be ramping up their programme by then.

For me, whose target is to get to 2nd from 3rd cat next season, I am trying to do one longish ride per week plus another session(turbo) midweek, which equates to about 100. Then in January start the build up. But i guess you know that Bettini Very Happy
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
100-150 miles per week October-December (except exam period)
150-220 miles per week January - March.

Sounds sensible John, but I would like you all to do 100 miles on Sundays riding 42x20(or equiv). It will benefit your cadence.
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bog off Wink
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to advise people using a WCPP training programme based on a summer/autumn worlds. Until Jan 1st 8-12 hrs per week on bike at vast majority 'v light' and max 'moderate' intestity (150 bpm max). Quantity and quality only to be upped in new year.

For amateurs/not-full-timers i suggest working on 50 - 66% of the ideal for full timers. I.e. 4-8hrs gentle per week till chrimbo. This would be say 65-140 miles depending on the rider and how much is solo/group riding.

Only specific for amateurs is not cramming the weeks riding into 1-2 sessions and to aim for 3 or pref 4 rides or a week to make up the 4-8 hrs and a max of 3hrs on any single ride to avoid bulk resource depletion.
AliCarr
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if i want to ride the road next season, but also like to do the track during the winter. Will that affect my base miles? Confused
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This time of the year it's easier to do long rides. I don't have to leave until just before 9:00am at the moment if i want to do a 7 hour ride if i want to get back before it's dark. In December it's not possible.
I have never trained like this before, the longest rides i have done are 5 hours and i had only done a few of those in the past. Now 4 hours seems very short and 5 seem about normal.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you are either taking *CENSORED* or intend riding european pro stage races I would not recommend super long rides until new year. Still only max of 4hours ish though. Sub-elite road races are 2-3 hours max so rides need to be little more than that.

i would account a winter track league to be equivalent to an hours mixed intense training session. if doing a winter league you should need to do little else in the range of intesity over the week to avoid overcooking yourself too soon.

You might be able to do mega long rides now but does it do you any good come race time. The Oct - Dec window is the time of year to under training, consolidating the past seasons progress, getting completely recovered and getting away from the bike and day in day out training. The only guys who need to do 4-6hrs plaus rides are premier RRs and 12-24 hr tters and then only not in oct,nov,dec.

Most riders who are keen and pushing themselves at this time of year are simply kidding themselves and doing too much too sonn and are falling into the trap of the winter warrior, flying in march, stale by may, not bothered about races come july, overkeen again by october. Hold back, do a minumum, enjoy your riding, smoothen yourself out, get healthy. Come Jan you can build and come feb march april you can really stomp up the workload (20-30hrs for full timers, 10-20 for amateurs) and bring your form on ready for the season.

You can obviously ignore all this advice and just aim to win the new years 10 but dont expect to win much come season time.
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why i should be riding any less than the best cyclists in the world.
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
I don't understand why i should be riding any less than the best cyclists in the world.

Because the best cyclist in the world do more than the odd 10 mile TT!
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
bonger wrote:

Because the best cyclist in the world do more than the odd 10 mile TT!
So whos training should i be trying to follow if i want to ride as well as i possibly can at whatver events i choose to ride?
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharman.
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a good coach.
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Ask a good coach.
There's no need, the answer is the best cyclists in the world. Nowadays their is hardly a sucessfull person out there that hasn't chosed a sucessfull person to model at and sport or business.
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you doing the TdeF next year, or leaving it to 2007?
bonger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:
Sharman.
He's apro and i am an amature and therefore i should be building to 20 hours a week and he should be building to 30.
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
So whos training should i be trying to follow if i want to ride as well as i possibly can at whatver events i choose to ride?

so long as you're matching the time & intensity, rather than the raw distance, that's ok. remember you'd have to ease yourself into it though, not just dive into the program.
coal miner
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owyn wrote:
about 1000 before Christmas and then ramp it up in January.

Is that per week Question
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: