Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Average miles per week in winter.
below 50
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
50-60
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
60-70
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
70-80
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
80-90
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
100-150
37%
 37%  [ 27 ]
150+ (please state)
31%
 31%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 72

Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
I'm trying something totally radical this year:

Raced this year from beginning March to End September, take it easy for Octocer and November (easy club run once per week, 70 miles with stop, if weather OK), start riding base miles end Nov and building up for few weeks. Then start training in the new year gradually increasing the intensity ready for a full season starting in March.

It'll never catch on Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossy wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
John McC wrote:
100-150 miles per week October-December (except exam period)
150-220 miles per week January - March.

Sounds sensible John, but I would like you all to do 100 miles on Sundays riding 42x20(or equiv). It will benefit your cadence.

what gear do you recomend for the second half of the session?

What do you mean by 'session'? Mossy.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliCarr wrote:
What if i want to ride the road next season, but also like to do the track during the winter. Will that affect my base miles? Confused

No, but you must do them 100 on Sunday on 42x20(or equiv) it will help your stamina and rpm on the track.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
100 Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday and 40 recovery Wedneday planned, same as the last 5 weeks.

Too much at this time of the year, you'll get stale. 100 Sunday, plus 2x50 Tues. and Thurs. Try some weights, I'll tell you how to do it without putting on weight, only power. Perhaps some aerobic circuit training as well.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:
I have managed to avoid a 1st cat this year, which in my view was sensible, for 4 reasons:

1. the rules change next year

2. since getting to uni I haven't ridden my road bike, only done trackleague each week (roadbike got here sunday)

3. there's too many 2/3/4 races in South Wales for me to get a 1st

4. I can't afford the fuel to travel to that many E/1/2 races.

Do you really want a 1st cat. licence?
Fashion Man 1980
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
Seriously though i know an iron man triathleet riding 300 miles+ a week at this time of year and that's only 33% of his training.

Who do you know?
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
Emyr42 wrote:
I have managed to avoid a 1st cat this year, which in my view was sensible, for 4 reasons:

2. since getting to uni I haven't ridden my road bike, only done trackleague each week (roadbike got here sunday)

Not this year, no, Idon't know what I'd do with one, and I'd have to start training properly.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:
Pierre Head wrote:
Emyr42 wrote:

Not this year, no, Idon't know what I'd do with one, and I'd have to start training properly.

Fair and honest comment, maybe one day hopefully you might achieve it.
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably near the end of next year, if I sort out how my training can fit in with my studies; I'll probably still aim at Track, Circuit Races and Handicaps as I do now.
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:
Probably near the end of next year, if I sort out how my training can fit in with my studies; I'll probably still aim at Track, Circuit Races and Handicaps as I do now.

OK carry on as you are then. Perhaps later next year you might take another look at training regimes. I still think that you should ride the winter on 42x20(or equiv.). In the spring find an Industrial Estate where you can give it rocks for an hour every session floating into corners and accelerating rapidly out of them. It should help with your track work as well.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:

Fitting training round studies is a hell of a lot easier than fitting it around work believe me.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
monk wrote:
The only guys who need to do 4-6hrs plaus rides are premier RRs and 12-24 hr tters and then only not in oct,nov,dec.
Someones got a short memory.
I remember fine alex, I've got smart since then. The only guys on that run who needed to do the long rides were will, jon and hamish, the rest of us could have done an hour and a half or so each way to a cafe or even just 3 hours solid and got as much benefit for our racing. I also tended to drop out once they got to new year and started doing over 80miles. the 66" fixed and mudguards rule till xmas helped keep the intensity down nicely though and I've never found such a disciplined training groups as W's.
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
John McC wrote:
bonger wrote:
I don't understand why i should be riding any less than the best cyclists in the world.

Because the best cyclist in the world do more than the odd 10 mile TT!
So whos training should i be trying to follow if i want to ride as well as i possibly can at whatver events i choose to ride?
If you wanna win the TDF you could work off LA, if you wanna win the sprint on the track copy Laurent Gane and Ryan Bayley, or talk to Martin Barras.

If you wanna win 10m tt's though (considering the fact you're not a pro roadie first) go back to C Boardman's training circa 1991-3, there were a lot of articles on it at the time and the Levels 1-4 of training. It works for an amateur with limited time to train and will still make you quick now. His single long ride per week, as I remember, was a high-level1 to low-level2 for 4 hours. A total weeks training, even in peak load could be kept under 15hrs.

NB: before you copy any top level riders training programme you have to consider what 'medical support' they were likely to have used. The East german sprint training programme is awesome, but worked for juiced riders. Freddy maertens weight training in his room overnight during the tour's of spain and italy, bettini was this year seen doing power work in the caravan during the quiet stages of the vuelta. It worked for them all, but how they recovered and progress defies practical experience.
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy riding a bike for 20/25 hours a week, if i could i would do 30+. I don't think it's possible to say what is too much or not enough for an individual.
Emyr42
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Emyr42 wrote:

Fitting training round studies is a hell of a lot easier than fitting it around work believe me.

Does work give you homework/coursework, or just overtime?
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
I enjoy riding a bike for 20/25 hours a week, if i could i would do 30+. I don't think it's possible to say what is too much or not enough for an individual.
Sure no problem. Just don't expect to ever actually win ought much. You'll be good but never as good as you could be. And you'll probably get sick of putting in so much work and only doing mediocre and never getting the best out of yourself. But like you say you enjoy doing 20+ hrs per week and you only pick n choose your 10m tt's anyway, you'd obviously rather do that then actually win stiff or do really well.

Personally i aint got 20-30 hours a week I'm willing to waste on pointless 'training' pretending I'm doing to right stuff while being an eejit. And i put enough effort and money into my training to actually wanna do as well as I can rather than just be fairly good/strong. Been there done that worn out the tshirt.
NickB
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emyr42 wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Emyr42 wrote:

Does work give you homework/coursework, or just overtime?

All of the above Sad
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk wrote:
bonger wrote:
Sure no problem. Just don't expect to ever actually win ought much. You'll be good but never as good as you could be. And you'll probably get sick of putting in so much work and only doing mediocre and never getting the best out of yourself. But like you say you enjoy doing 20+ hrs per week and you only pick n choose your 10m tt's anyway, you'd obviously rather do that then actually win stiff or do really well.

Personally i aint got 20-30 hours a week I'm willing to waste on pointless 'training' pretending I'm doing to right stuff while being an eejit. And i put enough effort and money into my training to actually wanna do as well as I can rather than just be fairly good/strong. Been there done that worn out the tshirt.
That's fair enough too, if you believe a high volume of training is pointles it will be a self fulfilling prophecy as the mental side of it will soon become too much.
I don't believe there is a world class rider out there that isn't riding atleast 20 hours a week, it's not just about doing race specific training, i believe 30 hours a week ridden correctly this time of year will turn a riders body in to an efficent cycling machine ready to adapt to whatever specific requirements are needed once the race specific sessions start.
One thing is for sure, you'll definatly get nowhere if you don't train atall.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a problem with over training at any level. Exercise of any type, not just cycling, can become an addiction. Structured exercise or training for specific goals is far more efficient. Rest and recuperation is as important in a training schedule as active training.

Training at a high intensity or volume at this time of the year could be counter productive in terms of results next year, as monk has already said.
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe 25 hours is that much atall. I am fully recovered from one day to the next although i have only averaged 18 hours a week for the last 5 weeks. This week is an easy week. As i said before i believe it's horses for courses and if someone has the ability to handle a high volume then it will help them.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: