Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Racers - your average weekly miles (through winter)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Average miles per week in winter.
below 50
11%
 11%  [ 8 ]
50-60
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
60-70
6%
 6%  [ 5 ]
70-80
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
80-90
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
100-150
37%
 37%  [ 27 ]
150+ (please state)
31%
 31%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 72

alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk wrote:
alexc wrote:
monk wrote:
The only guys who need to do 4-6hrs plaus rides are premier RRs and 12-24 hr tters and then only not in oct,nov,dec.
Someones got a short memory.
I remember fine alex, I've got smart since then. The only guys on that run who needed to do the long rides were will, jon and hamish, the rest of us could have done an hour and a half or so each way to a cafe or even just 3 hours solid and got as much benefit for our racing. I also tended to drop out once they got to new year and started doing over 80miles. the 66" fixed and mudguards rule till xmas helped keep the intensity down nicely though and I've never found such a disciplined training groups as W's.

All I know is that I never went as well in TT's, track or road as the season following the winter of 20 hr weeks on 66 inch fixed. but since you became a fat sprinter you don't need the miles anyway Wink , wasn't that the winter before you won the 20k and TP. can't have been all bad.
ninjaslim
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5-8 hours 0 - 130 miles
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A winter of consistant 20 weeks will still be helping the body years down the line. If you can get away with less now Monk and still get good results it's probably a result of that worn out T-shirt.

Last edited by bonger on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Coggy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I used to do was a few YHA trips, then Sunday club runs & ride to work until the end of December.
Fashion Man 1980
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
I don't believe 25 hours is that much atall. I am fully recovered from one day to the next although i have only averaged 18 hours a week for the last 5 weeks. This week is an easy week. As i said before i believe it's horses for courses and if someone has the ability to handle a high volume then it will help them.

I hear what you are saying. But you also need to consider other factors to being a cyclist, especially if you are constantly riding 20 hour weeks. Recovery is an important and essential part of your training and it shouldn't be ignored. As is massage. For you, or any athlete, to get the most out of training you also need massage to help your muscles recover and build. If you are constantly doing the hours that you specify but not getting regular massage (at least once a week) then a lot of the mileage you are doing you won't neccessarily (sp) benefit from!

Big mileage is all well and good but you also need specifics (speed work, reps, conditioning etc), not just 3.5 hour rides 6 days a week.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced the high mileage will help the body years down the line.
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fashion Man 1980 wrote:
bonger wrote:
I don't believe 25 hours is that much atall. I am fully recovered from one day to the next although i have only averaged 18 hours a week for the last 5 weeks. This week is an easy week. As i said before i believe it's horses for courses and if someone has the ability to handle a high volume then it will help them.

I hear what you are saying. But you also need to consider other factors to being a cyclist, especially if you are constantly riding 20 hour weeks. Recovery is an important and essential part of your training and it shouldn't be ignored. As is massage. For you, or any athlete, to get the most out of training you also need massage to help your muscles recover and build. If you are constantly doing the hours that you specify but not getting regular massage (at least once a week) then a lot of the mileage you are doing you won't neccessarily (sp) benefit from!

Big mileage is all well and good but you also need specifics (speed work, reps, conditioning etc), not just 3.5 hour rides 6 days a week.
At the moment it's 4 X 5 hour rides a week, soon to be 5.
Also 2 X swimming sessions and core strength work most days and 3 or 4 massages. Do you think there is a need for speed work this time of year?
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Why? Look at any number of ex pro's that make a domestic comeback. I don't believe their comeback wouldn't be possible for a previously untrained person but they seem to manage it after years away from the bike.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fashion Man 1980 wrote:
As is massage. For you, or any athlete, to get the most out of training you also need massage to help your muscles recover and build. If you are constantly doing the hours that you specify but not getting regular massage (at least once a week) then a lot of the mileage you are doing you won't neccessarily (sp) benefit from!

LOL! Who's gonna massage my legs? My missus won't do it, and I can't afford to pay someone to massage me.

Anyway, massage is overrated. from Peak Performance:

"Analysis of the results showed no significant differences between the massage and control groups in terms of peak torque, range of motion, neutrophil count, unpleasantness of soreness and mood."

It's like paying a coach to tell you to go out and do what you know you need to do anyway.... yer burning money.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
KJ wrote:
Why? Look at any number of ex pro's that make a domestic comeback. I don't believe their comeback wouldn't be possible for a previously untrained person but they seem to manage it after years away from the bike.

Do they keep their core fitness in the years off the bike in some way? For example some other sport or gym work.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Animal wrote:
Fashion Man 1980 wrote:
As is massage. For you, or any athlete, to get the most out of training you also need massage to help your muscles recover and build. If you are constantly doing the hours that you specify but not getting regular massage (at least once a week) then a lot of the mileage you are doing you won't neccessarily (sp) benefit from!

LOL! Who's gonna massage my legs? My missus won't do it, and I can't afford to pay someone to massage me.

Anyway, massage is overrated. from Peak Performance:

"Analysis of the results showed no significant differences between the massage and control groups in terms of peak torque, range of motion, neutrophil count, unpleasantness of soreness and mood."

It's like paying a coach to tell you to go out and do what you know you need to do anyway.... yer burning money.

Correct massage as correct coaching makes a difference and IMHO is worth the money. I would disagee with the quote frm Peak Performance..where did they take their findings from?
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
bonger wrote:
KJ wrote:

Do they keep their core fitness in the years off the bike in some way? For example some other sport or gym work.
Yeah maybe, although one of my team mates was a very good junior in th 80's, and rode regular 25 hour weeks. He stopped cycling for about 9 years and went up to 16 stone and didn't do anything apart from work. Since his comeback i doubt he has averaged more than 5 hours a week but rides well beyond the ability of his training (1st cat on the road and 19 minute 10 mile TT's). I can't believe it isn't something to do with all those miles all those years ago.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or genetics
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
I don't believe there is a world class rider out there that isn't riding atleast 20 hours a week

WAKE UP AND SMELL COFFEE

deano wrote:
i am doing 0 yes zero hours at the moment.
will pull my finger out of my asss after Dave Rayner do and start riding again.
lets see eerrmm
bout 10 to 15 hours the rest of Nov and Dec.
then 15 to 20 all Jan and maybe 1 25 end of Jan.
depends if i go on training camp to warmer climates.
deano
Wink
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk wrote:
bonger wrote:
I don't believe there is a world class rider out there that isn't riding atleast 20 hours a week

WAKE UP AND SMELL COFFEE

deano wrote:
lets see eerrmm
deano
Wink
From that i read that he's probably been riding regular 20 hour+ since last January, many of them at a very high intensity (races), this all year up to about 2 weeks ago, with the odd easier week i guess. Then 4 weeks of next to nothing followed by 6 weeks of building back up to 20 hours, and after another 4 weeks back up to 25+.
From the 52 weeks the year has to offer around 42 of them are 20+ hours. If you bear in mind there are probably some 30 hour weeks in there too i bet the average training week (not including his 4 week recovery time) will be well over 20 hours.
Wake up and smell the coffee yourself.
Fashion Man 1980
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember that not everyone is the same and so what works for one may not work for another.

I coach a select group of middle distance runners (all aged seventeen and eighteen) and what works for one doesn't work for another. They are all of national class yet some will only run 35 miles a week whilst others might be running 55 miles a week. Each training programme is tailored to the INDIVIDUAL as are the specific sessions and work within those programmes.

This applies to all sports!

What your friend may be doing may work for him but don't just assume that just because he rides well off of 'x' miles per week that you will too!

Don't get me wrong I'm not criticising what you do as it is your (and your coaches?) choice and you know your own body.

Though I would say that you are asking for advice and then ignoring everything that isn't as per what you are currently doing! Listen to what people are saying and judge it on it's own merits, take it in and although you don't have to apply it, it will give you a wider knowledge of what training is all about.

Last edited by Fashion Man 1980 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
monk
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonger wrote:
monk wrote:
bonger wrote:

WAKE UP AND SMELL COFFEE

deano wrote:
lets see eerrmm
deano
Wink
From that i read that he's probably been riding regular 20 hour+ since last January, many of them at a very high intensity (races), al the way up to about 2 weeks ago. Then 4 weeks of next to nothing followed by 6 weeks of building back up to 20 hours and after 10 weeks back up to 25+. From the 52 weeks the year has to offer around 42 of them are 20+ hours. If you bear in mind there are probably some 30 hour weeks in there too i bet the average training week (not including his 4 week recovery time) will be well over 20 hours.
Wake up and smell the coffee yourself.

have got the coffee. woke up at the millenium and started winning instead of just being ok/strong. (see palmares).

I train plenty. I'll do say 10-12 hours on the bike a week at this time of year. Plus gymwork and conditioning exercises, stretching and badminton. You just train with specificity and structure for your goals, and include rest periods and loading cycles and recovery phases.

Come back to me when you win the RAAM, give up the sport, or get chronic fatigue, as they're the main stuff you're training leads towards currently.
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe i am better at what i do than you are at what i do, and you are better at what you do than i am at what you do. So i dont believe there is any need for either of us to "come back" to the other.
Badminton after rugby and football is a great way to damage your ACL and PCL. Take it easy, and coffee isn't too good for you either but i like the odd skinny late with espresso chaser.

Just a tip and i am not being funny. Try to find out what training the few people are around are doing that are beating you, i have and i realise why i cant beat them.
bonger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, good luck next year, we are bothing doing what we think is best for us and that's what counts.
Animal
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monk wrote:
have got the coffee. woke up at the millenium and started winning instead of just being ok/strong. (see palmares).

Where? Who are you?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: