Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How to become a pro on the continent

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How to become a pro on the continent
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which route is best for your son?
Join the WCPP/Under 23 Academy process
47%
 47%  [ 31 ]
Go to France with Rayner funding
27%
 27%  [ 18 ]
Follow the "Pierre" route ie coaching then French family
24%
 24%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 65

p*bongo
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this maybe the wrong end of the chat - But;

Forward thinking if you do look at riders who do ok for a bit and (not saying it would happen) then get a problem and are no longer supported by the U23 plan etc and have to get a job would you want your son to be working at ASDA (not that its a bad job) or someone with a degree / good education and prospects for a nice job?

Cycling will Im 90% sure not pay the bills in 10 years time. Maybe Im just getting old!
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I'd suggest that young talented riders get some sort of career/qualification on the way to a pro contract. I was never good enough to make a living from bike racing - but that didn't stop me trying - and I gave no thought to what would happen later. So, in my early twenties I had five CSE's to my name and as a result ended up doing one crap job after another. I was lucky because I went to Uni as a mature student so managed to turn things round a bit, but life would have been a lot easier if I'd done that when I was younger.
Sage moment over. Smile
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't 'really' say how hard it will/would be for a rider to return 'today' to the world of work but Tony Bell's route, while very sensible and 'still supported and encouraged today' (I think) was not considered by many in my day. I've said before on VR and, over the years, to many young riders and their concerned/worried parents, that: the self-discipline and work ethic etc (and all the other 'buzz' words) WILL lead such riders to succeed at 'something' if a career in cycling doesn't work out. Even if one does get a few or many (what? 10) years, that still leaves a whole lot of life, home building, family making etc to 'construct, survive, achieve etc'. I guess that a 'very few' will or should be financially secure but when one reads about - say Bjorn Borg, apparently having to consider selling his Trophies, it should be clear that future earning ability OUTSIDE of cycling, or their chosen sport, will have to be faced. I have been 'really impressed' by the success achieved by guys from my era. I honestly can't think of anyone who 'failed' to cope and many have been quite stunningly successful, from a financial viewpoint. However, a number of them have expressed the view that their route to 'economic' survival or success, is probably not one that is an option today - due largely to changing retail patterns etc. For instance, one I was told about, on returning to the UK, with no trade skills or much in the way of educational record, simply bought a van and a 'bit of kit' and started his own 'drain cleaning business'. Today that market 'seems' to be dominated by a few major names with not much chance of an individual getting going. Most sporting academies, say in Rugby Football, have education alongside the sport, as it has been recognised as so important.
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the ODP, riders are encouraged to study and the training is built around those that do with training camps in school holidays. At U23, I think you have to be totally committed to the programme and simply would not have time to study as well.

You can go to university at any time in your life, but you only have a short window in which to "make it" as a cyclist.

I'm interested in this thread, as I have a 17 year old son, who will soon have to decide whether to go to Uni or go abroad and see if he is good enough to be a pro cyclist. I personally think it might be worth going abroad for a couple of years at 18/19. At worst, you'll come back with a whole load of life experiences and be able to speak fluent French/Italian/Flemish, though you may be totally disillusioned with cycling.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of young folk take gap years, not just cyclists.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
I'm interested in this thread, as I have a 17 year old son, who will soon have to decide whether to go to Uni or go abroad and see if he is good enough to be a pro cyclist. I personally think it might be worth going abroad for a couple of years at 18/19. At worst, you'll come back with a whole load of life experiences and be able to speak fluent French/Italian/Flemish, though you may be totally disillusioned with cycling.
If you'd be in a position to help him on his return, brilliant! What life experience.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will, Having a similar discussion on another forum about someone taking a couple of years out of education to try and make it as an athlete (totally different sport). It's been kicking around a bit longer than this thread, 20 odd pages..... and the one thing that comes thro from the people who have done it and succeded, have tried and failed and those who haven't even tried (or simply didn't have the innate ability) is that a couple of years at 18/19/20 is nothing in the grand scale of things.

Do the A-level thing, get a deferred uni place (most uni's still do this don't they) and push off to europe and try, if you fail there is a fall back, if you succeed the skys the limit, but always keep an eye out for the unexpected - an injury can potentially be career ending, always need to keep in the loop for doing something else - with the uni in the background there is always a route out.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say look at Hammond as a good example. He went to Brunel Uni where you're made to do a 4 yr degree (yr 3 is work placement) and he came out with a qualification. IIRC he rode in Belgium during the summer and when he could on the weekends but bear in mind he was based down south (Brunel being his local uni) so trips to Belgium were easier than if he lived in the Midlands or the North.
He's now a respected pro with a podium place in P-R and several good wins to his name.
As long as you're going abroad in the summer and getting noticed and getting contacts why not do the degree first?
I mean, Hammond was world junior cyclo-cross champ and could have said 'no way' to a degree or further education and gone straight to Belgium as an 18yr old with no experience of the mundane office existence or uni life. He may be at the same stage of his career but would he have done any better without uni?.......
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd go to uni for the first year - enjoy that - feel connected to something - train hard all winter - then the following summer spend a season in France - then decide - the decision will seem a lot easier ! if you really have a chance of making it then you'll know by then - tell the uni to hold your place for next year - if you're in the nearly could make it league - i'd go back to uni and then back to France for the summer. But if you were that close to making it wouldn't there already be involvement with BC?
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lad didn't get on the track ODP, but he did ride the Euro and World Junior Cross champs. He is one of the 3 top juniors from last year's cross season, who dominated the racing all winter. But alas, there is no Cyclo-cross ODP and he's been told that he's too tall be a Mountain biker. He's quite useful on the road too.
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
My lad didn't get on the ODP, but he did ride the Euro and World Junior Cross champs. But alas, there is no Cyclo-cross ODP and he's been told that he's too tall take be a Mountain biker. He's quite useful on the road too.

Oli Beckingsale? Not exactly a dwarf is he? What a load of old tosh! These beliefs can be deep-seated, even Pete Keen thought back in the late 80's/early 90's you had to be a big lad at almost 6ft to be a world-class pursuiter and look who his most famous charge was.....
Shame about there being no ODP for 'cross....Adri Van Der Poel anyone? Just imagine how many Brits would love to have his (road) palmares...
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Will Scarlet wrote:
My lad didn't get on the ODP, but he did ride the Euro and World Junior Cross champs. But alas, there is no Cyclo-cross ODP and he's been told that he's too tall take be a Mountain biker. He's quite useful on the road too.

Oli Beckingsale? Not exactly a dwarf is he? What a load of old tosh! These beliefs can be deep-seated, even Pete Keen thought back in the late 80's/early 90's you had to be a big lad at almost 6ft to be a world-class pursuiter and look who his most famous charge was.....
Shame about there being no ODP for 'cross....Adri Van Der Poel anyone? Just imagine how many Brits would love to have his (road) palmares...

maybe the hint is in the name ODP. Since when was cx an Olympic sport ?

as for AvDP, a total class act on the road and mud.

Last edited by Big-C on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

special guest star wrote:
i'd go to uni for the first year - enjoy that - feel connected to something - train hard all winter - then the following summer spend a season in France - then decide - the decision will seem a lot easier ! if you really have a chance of making it then you'll know by then - tell the uni to hold your place for next year - if you're in the nearly could make it league - i'd go back to uni and then back to France for the summer. But if you were that close to making it wouldn't there already be involvement with BC?

I'd agree 100% with this post, it's not just about finding out if you really have the ability, it's also about living in a alien environment, learning a new language, different cultures etc etc. after one season you should know whether you want to take it further, or more importantly, whether other people want you to return Wink
wardie2000
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been deciding whether to post on this topic for a while, but thought i may aswell try and give my side.

I am 22 and in my last year of Uni at Southampton, i have been cycling for the last 2yrs (this is the start of my third season). i came from playing rugby to a good level. A kne injury started me cycling.

So this ruled me out of the ODP program and the other things they do.

Went over to France to do the Raid Pyrenean in June 2004, really enjoyed it so went back over in the september. Just rode my bike really didn't see anyone for the time over there.

Then went back in the June the following year and got chatting to a few people in the local club, not knowing anything about the club not realising how good they were etc. Didn't meet up with them again but saw them out riding. went back home and went back out in the september met up with them and went for a couple of training rides. They liked what they saw, the team are made up mostly of climbers so having someone who can tt and stay at the front al day for them was a bonus.

Went out February of this year to race the first big amateur stage race of the year with them. Felt awful for the time out there but launched a couple of attacks etc.
From showing a bit of commitment and making an effort i have been offered a 18month contract starting 31st July. Next race for them is Tour of Norway in June and then the next big one is the Tour of Senegal.

So i think that you don't need to be on the ODP plan, and i will complete my degree in the next couple of months, so if it doesn't work out i can say i gave it a go and then go and use the degree.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wardie2000 wrote:
I've been deciding whether to post on this topic for a while, but thought i may aswell try and give my side.

I am 22 and in my last year of Uni at Southampton, i have been cycling for the last 2yrs (this is the start of my third season). i came from playing rugby to a good level. A kne injury started me cycling.

So this ruled me out of the ODP program and the other things they do.

Went over to France to do the Raid Pyrenean in June 2004, really enjoyed it so went back over in the september. Just rode my bike really didn't see anyone for the time over there.

Then went back in the June the following year and got chatting to a few people in the local club, not knowing anything about the club not realising how good they were etc. Didn't meet up with them again but saw them out riding. went back home and went back out in the september met up with them and went for a couple of training rides. They liked what they saw, the team are made up mostly of climbers so having someone who can tt and stay at the front al day for them was a bonus.

Went out February of this year to race the first big amateur stage race of the year with them. Felt awful for the time out there but launched a couple of attacks etc.
From showing a bit of commitment and making an effort i have been offered a 18month contract starting 31st July. Next race for them is Tour of Norway in June and then the next big one is the Tour of Senegal.

So i think that you don't need to be on the ODP plan, and i will complete my degree in the next couple of months, so if it doesn't work out i can say i gave it a go and then go and use the degree.

Great to hear that, all the best for the future. Unless you do it, you'll never know Wink
wardie2000
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you don't what will happen unless you get out there.

Don't want to say to myself in 20yrs time 'what if....'
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to code with computers or websites and you can be OK while abroad. I know a few pros who do that now and it keeps them occupied too!

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
Pierre Head
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
Learn to code with computers or websites and you can be OK while abroad. I know a few pros who do that now and it keeps them occupied too!

When I went and got settled in a bit, I didn't give a stuff what was going on over here.
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wardie2000 wrote:
Thanks, you don't what will happen unless you get out there.

Don't want to say to myself in 20yrs time 'what if....'

Exactly!!
BigDave
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most people know that if you REALLY want to be a pro your best bet is a place on the WCPP if you've been offered one. However, let me enlighten you as to the benefits of joining a club abroad, as I did so for 4 years. If he wants a place with VS Quimper I can offer him:

1) free night club entry thanks to the director sportif who after giving everybody a bollocking for missing the split will then take them out and pay for them to get absolutely trashed
2) a liberal supply of local French girls
3) a house crowded with Poles, Australians and eccentrics - you may not get your own bedroom but there's plenty of atmosphere
4) a team car in which you can sleep after a hard night out on the town
5) plenty of beaches within 30 minutes bike ride
6) a generous bonus scheme if after all of the above you manage to ever win a race

Personally, I favour this approach. I'm not pro, never will be, and in reality was never likely to be, but I had the best time of my life in my 4 years abroad. And now I'm doing a degree in French and will earn 3 or 4 times more than most pros will in their life time - remember that they will earn nowt after retiring. I have first hand information that the neo-pros at Bouygues earn 1500 euros a month net. And think how good you have to be to get there. Take me to the bar anyday......... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: