Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Riding the local bash.....

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Riding the local bash.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tozzer or not?
A) Yes
72%
 72%  [ 26 ]
B) No
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
C) Undecided
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

ANDYT
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it is a club run.
Club runs are for social rides NOT for training.
If you want to go fast then pick 2 or 3 from the front group and go out at another time. Then you can all kill each other!!
Dont alienate the rest that cant go fast or have no time to train during the day cause they are at worki
Dave Thomas
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got shelled out the back of
our local chain gang on Tuesday,
but prior to that I'd done as much work
as I could. If better/stronger riders drop me,
it's up to me to try and improve.
(Unless they're full time riders,
who should just FXXk off)
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
Yes, I was quite concerned about all the people on £4000 race bikes who couldn't keep up with the pace after some people had already done 70miles on their £500 winter bike.

Rich Hill wrote:
I'm not sure what the cost of a bike has got to do with leaving a group of your cycling colleagues for a 25 mile wet lone ride home?

The thing that gets me is that you powered up the hill putting us into a line out - THEN - dropped back to riders who were already struggling - let a gap go - which I couldn't understand - and which you had done previously in the ride - and then rode across it leaving 3-4 riders stranded out the back.

As for harping on about the cost of my bike - I don't get it - you've been told 50 times probably - that the bike is yours to use if you think you can do a good ride....

I don't mind getting dropped in fact I knew it was likely to happen - but for someone of your physical ability to force it left me understanding one thing... Power is NOTHING with out control....

Rich
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Matt Clinton wrote:
Yes, I was quite concerned about all the people on £4000 race bikes who couldn't keep up with the pace after some people had already done 70miles on their £500 winter bike.

Rich Hill wrote:
I'm not sure what the cost of a bike has got to do with leaving a group of your cycling colleagues for a 25 mile wet lone ride home?

The thing that gets me is that you powered up the hill putting us into a line out - THEN - dropped back to riders who were already struggling - let a gap go - which I couldn't understand - and which you had done previously in the ride - and then rode across it leaving 3-4 riders stranded out the back.

As for harping on about the cost of my bike - I don't get it - you've been told 50 times probably - that the bike is yours to use if you think you can do a good ride....

I don't mind getting dropped in fact I knew it was likely to happen - but for someone of your physical ability to force it left me understanding one thing... Power is NOTHING with out control....

Rich

I didn't "let the gap go" I thought it was someone else's turn to hold a wheel, which no-one did. You told me to get across the gap- I did. To be honest, I didn't realise that you'd been dropped until a few miles further. Infact, where did this incident occur? Up past Lapworth? If so, I dropped to the back there because I couldn't get any more power down!

It wasn't you in particular that I was saying about the cost of their bikes- it was the people on full Record'd up Colnagos, out on a wet day, who couldn't/wouldn't get to the front.

De Rosa- No, it wasn't the Warwick one, it was the Coventry one, which IMO is far too short! (Well from Balsall anyway!)

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear Mr Hill, sounds like you've had a taste of your own medicine...a couple of years ago you were a nightmare on the bash as you were far stronger than virtually everyone there and simply rode off the front and didn't ride with everyone else but against everyone else. When you're in form you're a nightmare as you expect people to come through when they can't but when it happens to you.......
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
It wasn't you in particular that I was saying about the cost of their bikes- it was the people on full Record'd up Colnagos, out on a wet day, who couldn't/wouldn't get to the front.

happens all around the country Matt but I know what and who you mean. It's actually easier at the front than trying to yo-yo on the back and these people would actually benefit more from trying on the front to go through instead of sitting on the back where it can be like motor-pacing at 28mph
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard wrote:
Oh dear Mr Hill, sounds like you've had a taste of your own medicine...a couple of years ago you were a nightmare on the bash as you were far stronger than virtually everyone there and simply rode off the front and didn't ride with everyone else but against everyone else. When you're in form you're a nightmare as you expect people to come through when they can't but when it happens to you.......

Mr Hodge - I made it quite clear that for the first bash of the year I was quite happy to sit on the back for a hiding....

And yes I can be just as much as a knightmare as Mr Clinton - but there is not enough room for 2 knightmares...

Thats it - I'm just going to lamp Clinton and have it done with...
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Richard wrote:

Mr Hodge - I made it quite clear that for the first bash of the year I was quite happy to sit on the back for a hiding....

And yes I can be just as much as a knightmare as Mr Clinton - but there is not enough room for 2 knightmares...

Thats it - I'm just going to lamp Clinton and have it done with...

Shocked

Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

75% FOR - I rest my case...

As for not being able to hold power - I don't buy into that at all....

Roll on next tuesday and hopefully I will be over this flu thing I got from riding 25 miles on my jacksie in the rain, cold and dark.....

*CENSORED*. Evil or Very Mad
bigrob
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you people rack me off.It dosnt matter what brand of bike people ride these people chose to buy what thay want being poor or rich ,a bash is a fast group ride going through and off and making sure that the slowest rider is caterd for .Yes you have to work hard so if you are fitter stay on the front longer but make sure you dont drop the average rider ,it a skil.
Bike snobbery is wrong some people are tight with their money some are not ,buy what you want you earned it .Be it a colnago or a halfords special there might be a day when you want a bite of there energy bar or a drink .
Derosa taught me the rules of a bash ,i to used to power away but then was told and found it even more enjoyable geting round with every one intact its a art .
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets have some definitions in that case.

Clubrun: Social ride, no half wheeling. Perhaps a few keen guys will go for a town sign sprint.

Bash: Good pace, through and off but everyone should stay together. Stronger riders should do longer turns and help the weaker riders by pushing them back on etc.

Chaingang: Fast pace, through and off. When you're screwed you may sit on for a bit but if you get dropped you find your own way home.
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use bash/chaingang interchangably, some people call it one in some places and others, t'other.

Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
I always use bash/chaingang interchangably, some people call it one in some places and others, t'other.

You would - that gets you off the hook....
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it down to whatever is the norm for that bash/chain gang/training ride. Some rides are just informal races where the idea is to drop your mates - nothing wrong in that so long as it's understood that's what goes on.
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:

Clubrun: Social ride, no half wheeling. Perhaps a few keen guys will go for a town sign sprint.

Bash: Good pace, through and off but everyone should stay together. Stronger riders should do longer turns and help the weaker riders by pushing them back on etc.

Chaingang: Fast pace, through and off. When you're screwed you may sit on for a bit but if you get dropped you find your own way home.

or bit and bit. (funny term but is used round here)

Do your bash or chaingang on a smallish circuit and those who go out the back can roll round till they get caught again. they can then get on and try to hang on. This way everyone gets to ride at a level that may do them some good.
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:

I reckon Malboro Man has got it right there.
But for a stronger rider to come back part way down the bunch, then let a gap open to jump across it and leave the less fit rider or riders to get dropped is downright mean.
I shouldn't say this, I haven't even met the bloke, but I feel strong enough to say it, I think the rider you are talking about is a right self centered ****. I also get this impression from reading his other drivelling posts.

And what has the type of bike a rider is on got to do with anything, even if it is raining? Confused
Dave Thomas
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another (last resort) method of addressing this issue,
as I have seen occaisonaly on the Leeds
chain gang, is just to give these 'Popular'
riders a crack in the face. Does seem to work.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dastardly wrote:
marlboro man wrote:

Do your bash or chaingang on a smallish circuit and those who go out the back can roll round till they get caught again. they can then get on and try to hang on. This way everyone gets to ride at a level that may do them some good.

IS something worth considering setting up for our area. There must have been 4-5 people in the same boat as me the other night... I know the Kenilworth Wheelers have something like this on a funky little circuit...

Rich
Bob J
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Dastardly wrote:
marlboro man wrote:

IS something worth considering setting up for our area. There must have been 4-5 people in the same boat as me the other night... I know the Kenilworth Wheelers have something like this on a funky little circuit...

Rich

The Solihull also do it like this, about 5 mile circuit.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is finding the circuit....

The only place I can think of that is relatively safe is Stoneliegh business park as its got its own roads... is circular - and is close to a well known meeting point...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: