Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Riding the local bash.....

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Riding the local bash.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tozzer or not?
A) Yes
72%
 72%  [ 26 ]
B) No
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
C) Undecided
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 36

AliCarr
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're riding a bash, shouldn't everyone get a bashing?
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eeyore"]
marlboro man wrote:
But for a stronger rider to come back part way down the bunch, then let a gap open to jump across it and leave the less fit rider or riders to get dropped is downright mean.

Yeah if that's what happened I'd agree with that. Normally you'd try and tow weaker riders across with you rather than deliberately drop them - not that I'm often in the situation of towing weaker riders Wink

In general though is this the right place to be discussing personal arguments - wouldn't it be better sorted out with a chat ? Just a thought.
marlboro man
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tom Butcher"]
Eeyore wrote:
marlboro man wrote:
But for a stronger rider to come back part way down the bunch, then let a gap open to jump across it and leave the less fit rider or riders to get dropped is downright mean.

Yeah if that's what happened I'd agree with that. Normally you'd try and tow weaker riders across with you rather than deliberately drop them - not that I'm often in the situation of towing weaker riders Wink

In general though is this the right place to be discussing personal arguments - wouldn't it be better sorted out with a chat ? Just a thought.

I didn't write that even if I may agree with it or even do it myself.........
"so if MM wants to suck down 16mg unfiltered tar-laden cancer-causing , he will! And by God, he'll enjoy it... not to mention chasing nubile Estonian tail whilst off his opps on cheap and savage Baltic charlie...! " Colin Sturgess
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Butcher wrote:

Yes I did consider that but - He'll probably learn more on here than being told one 2 one

Rich
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take the bash as a training ride, as it is main training during the week in the summer. I manage to get sprints and turns in, but on some 'bashes' I used to get moaned at for pedalling too hard up a hill and then having to drop back because my gears wouldn't hack it on the big downhill sections.

I don't think Matt meant to leave the gap and didn't do it out of spite, or to show off or anything like that. To be fair, he stopped half way through to come and help me fix my puncture (and 2 other blokes who were dropped did! Thanks!).

I have always thought of the Bash/Chaingang as a fast paced, almost training race where there is no mercy for people who get dropped. Club runs are different?

And PS Matt, wtf have you got work's camera footage of me as an avatar! Razz

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the winter, Coventry has a 'bash' on a 4 mile circuit held at night so that people who wish to come out and have a workout can do so and if they get dropped can turn around and re-group. It's got a small hill in it and the idea is to re-group at the top then go again.

The chaingang in the summer is 1hr long at the minute with poor light and it stretches out to 1hr45mins in middle of summer. It's foot to the floor job with those working on the front happy to do so as they get a better workout than those who choose to sit on the back (for whatever reason)
The mid-summer version finishes just the other side of a decent sized hill so there's a chance to treat it like a race for those who wish to wind-up the pace to breaking point on the climb. Stragglers are not waited for, it's every man for himself.
foxy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solihull have a 3 mile circuit in Earlswood that we use. Adam came out on a few last year when we deliberately structured it to a road training session.....2-3 laps warm up, through and off, no faster than 25mph. then we were doing 2-3 laps of strucutred intervals followed by a couple more laps of through and off.

We have a core of regulars but overall had over 50 people taking part at one time or another. It was quite successful. Plan is to do the same this year but to actually run 2 groups as we have quite a few newcomers who want to do this but would just get blown out on lap 1 of the warmup.

We also use to do the regular 30-35 mile road bash but it's so lumpy that only those that stayed together on the hills got the benefit. for the rest, it was a case of hang on then go home....which doesn't really benefit them. cycling clubs should try and cater for everyone...whether it's a club run or bash.....but I know it's not that easy.
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
marlboro man wrote:
Lets have some definitions in that case.

Clubrun: Social ride, no half wheeling. Perhaps a few keen guys will go for a town sign sprint.

Bash: Good pace, through and off but everyone should stay together. Stronger riders should do longer turns and help the weaker riders by pushing them back on etc.

Chaingang: Fast pace, through and off. When you're screwed you may sit on for a bit but if you get dropped you find your own way home.

I reckon Malboro Man has got it right there.
I shouldn't say this, I haven't even met the bloke, but I feel strong enough to say it, I think the rider you are talking about is a right self centered ****. I also get this impression from reading his other drivelling posts.
And what has the type of bike a rider is on got to do with anything, even if it is raining? Confused

Harsh but very funny Laughing
Tom Butcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marlboro man wrote:

Yes sorry it was Eeyore messed up the quote thingy.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh the subject of the bashes in and around cov/warwick/leam.

Matt got a lot of complaints made last year about his behaviour on the one that starts at Woodloes Roundabout - mostly indirect sniping at the w*nker who keeps attacking then sitting up and ruining the pace of the ride.

If you are going to ride hard, ride hard don't pi55 about, it's training, the only people who 'win' or get the hill prime on a chaingang or bash are pretty sad. Races are there for winning.

And yes Kenilworth Wheelers do run a short circuit chaingang - it's about 2 miles a lap and thro and off, get anywhere from 4 to 15 riders and we tend to do 8 -10 laps at gradually increasing pace. If you get dropped it's easy enough to sit a lap out and rejoin (which i have to do occasionally!)
Si W
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where and when is this bash? Could do with finding a chaingang in the westmids
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Butcher wrote:
marlboro man wrote:

Yes sorry it was Eeyore messed up the quote thingy.

Tom, I don't believe I did 'mess up the quote thingy'. I think you may have done though. Smile
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:

Matt got a lot of complaints made last year about his behaviour on the one that starts at Woodloes Roundabout - mostly indirect sniping at the w*nker who keeps attacking then sitting up and ruining the pace of the ride.

If you are going to ride hard, ride hard don't pi55 about, it's training, the only people who 'win' or get the hill prime on a chaingang or bash are pretty sad. Races are there for winning.

And yes Kenilworth Wheelers do run a short circuit chaingang - it's about 2 miles a lap and thro and off, get anywhere from 4 to 15 riders and we tend to do 8 -10 laps at gradually increasing pace. If you get dropped it's easy enough to sit a lap out and rejoin (which i have to do occasionally!)

S'about the sum of it.... and he hasn't learnt about the second bit yet.... thinks its more important to drag a break back....
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:

They could have told me! I would have stopped doing it then!
By the end of the summer anyway, I couldn't be bothered to ride off the front, just waited for someone else to do it and/or wait for the sprint.

I did actually get told by a few of them that they prefered it when I was there because the pace stayed more consistent instead of yo-yo-ing about.

The way I've always seen it is a chaingang/bash/whatever it's called is a hard informal training ride- I go harder, they have to go harder, benifit alround.

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Si W wrote:
Where and when is this bash? Could do with finding a chaingang in the westmids

coventry c/gang - 6.30 from Rubicon *CENSORED* on A45 every Tuesday night until clocks go back, route changes dependant on light conditions but there's only 2 variants, short one for short nights and the longer version.
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the gap you told me to fill Rich, you didnt tell me how fast to go across, it wasn't really that big (10m?), if you'd have said I'd have towed you across....

Scott C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
mattr wrote:

By the end of the summer anyway, I couldn't be bothered to ride off the front, just waited for someone else to do it and/or wait for the sprint.

I did actually get told by a few of them that they prefered it when I was there because the pace stayed more consistent instead of yo-yo-ing about.

The way I've always seen it is a chaingang/bash/whatever it's called is a hard informal training ride- I go harder, they have to go harder, benifit alround.

There is nothing more annoying than the Evil or Very Mad who attacks and the sits up making the pace jolt. However I believe thats how most UK races go so surely its an effective way of training for a road race??
However on the rides I do these people get a right ear full espec as they tend to be those who skip turns.
As far as im concerned if you can keep your pace high on the bash then go for it. If your mates can't keep up thats there problem. And all these arses who have a go at you saying that your riding too hard too early and that you dont want to be going well untill its warmer send them in the direction of a Belgium rider. Im sure they would tell them whats what.

Rich man up and take the defeat.
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott C wrote:
Matt Clinton wrote:
mattr wrote:

There is nothing more annoying than the Evil or Very Mad who attacks and the sits up making the pace jolt. However I believe thats how most UK races go so surely its an effective way of training for a road race??
However on the rides I do these people get a right ear full espec as they tend to be those who skip turns.
As far as im concerned if you can keep your pace high on the bash then go for it. If your mates can't keep up thats there problem. And all these arses who have a go at you saying that your riding too hard too early and that you dont want to be going well untill its warmer send them in the direction of a Belgium rider. Im sure they would tell them whats what.

Rich man up and take the defeat.

Yeah, people who jump and then give up about 50m down the road really, really annoy me!

Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question ?

What has bike cost got to do with anything ?

You still gotta pedal it and there isn't that much difference in the modern world between your Specialized and a C40

A couple of KG in bike weight ain't gonna make that much difference ....
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
Oh and the gap you told me to fill Rich, you didnt tell me how fast to go across, it wasn't really that big (10m?), if you'd have said I'd have towed you across....

Sheesh kebab - do I have to instruct you like a robot.. .next time you along side an over weight 30 something sweating and panting like a water phobist during the monsoon - give it some thought....

And as for the gap - size is irrelevant now- you let it appear!

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: