Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Do you cycle to work?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Do you cycle to work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you cycle to work:
Always
35%
 35%  [ 30 ]
Usually
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Occassionally
23%
 23%  [ 20 ]
Never
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 84

metroid
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 mins to work by bike (rain or shine), 5 mins shower and change, give or take 2-3 minutes.

or 1 to 1.5 hours by bus + underground. travelling is a mental wind up instead of a wind down. the company of sweaty, angry, depressed suits. trashy R&B through trashier girls mobiles. propositions by dealers in brixton. 5 hrs/125km less 'free' training a week.

the choice aint difficult!
Pretty boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness when I used to work crappy jobs I would ride to work every day rain or shine. 10 miles each way.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroid wrote:
30 mins to work by bike (rain or shine), 5 mins shower and change, give or take 2-3 minutes.

or 1 to 1.5 hours by bus + underground. travelling is a mental wind up instead of a wind down. the company of sweaty, angry, depressed suits. trashy R&B through trashier girls mobiles. propositions by dealers in brixton. 5 hrs/125km less 'free' training a week.

the choice aint difficult!

Similar here,

40 mins to work by bike or 45+ by car or 5 min walk to tube then 25 mins journey and 15 min walk at the other end and pay a small fortune Ken to enable him to introduce more bendy deathtraps in London.
So that adds up to a minimum of 6 1/2 hours of free training per week. Razz
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been cycling to work virtually since I started working.

Barkingside (East London) to the City - about 10 miles each way. Did this for a year 'til I moved.
Hutton (Brentwood) to the City - about 23 miles each way. Did this from 1985 to 1996 until I started working in Chelmsford.
Hutton (Brentwood) to Chelmsford - about 10 miles each way. 1996 to present.

When I started doing the commute from Hutton to the City, it used to take about 75 / 80 mins depending on wind weather traffic etc. When I stopped it was taking usually 90 mins - mostly due to the increased numbers of traffic lights (70+ at last count Shocked ).

I only have 2 sets of lights now Smile

I keep a suit and shoes at work and just take a shirt, underwear and tie in each day. I have a wash and spray when I get to work and no one's complained (well to my face at least Wink ).

Wink
"real class" - George Gilbert"
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bally"]
I keep a suit and shoes at work and just take a shirt, underwear and tie in each day. I have a wash and spray when I get to work and no one's complained (well to my face at least Wink ). [/quote]

Bally, you're a star...and a shining example to us all.
special guest star
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakeeater wrote:
I can only cycle home from work as there are no showers. Its 35 miles away which gives me enough distance to do what I feel like at the time.

I've tried cycling in to work on two occassions and both were a nightmare. The 1st time I got drenched midway (weather girls got that one wrong!) and the 2nd time I got to the disabled bogs where I would normally wash and they were out of order. People at work already think Im a freak in my lycra pants so if they see me changing and washing in the gents bogs... Confused

they said it's raining men...?
GZA
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do 30miles each way down the A41, Finchley Rd, and Regents Pk. Only once or twice a week tough as I'm not in London all the time. Well set up with showers here and as its a sporting organisation I'm not alone although I still get 'man in lycra' chants!

Some mornings its really hard getting up earlier but all forgotten 100yds down the road and loving it.
andy_storey
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle (or run) to work as it is company policy!

I find people's attitudes very strange regarding "it's only 3 miles". This is exactly the sort of journey that should be undertaken by bike, foot, etc as it is better for the environment.

Why not think of that - rather than the suitability of the ride to work as training?
Badger
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cycle once or twice a week, five miles each way. I leave trousers, shoes, towel at work and bring in a shirt when I drive in. We have a shower room. I wear casual shorts and t-shirt in summer and track suit bottoms and sweat shirt in winter. I don't bother with lycra as it's not worth it for 20 mins and avoids the comments etc.

Should do it more but laziness stops me most days.
officer bob
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
officer bob wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Cos it's only 3 miles. Rather travel in my car, get home quick, change and get out on the bike.

I ride 5 miles to work,then do a longer ride home. 5 miles @ 5 a.m. will get less apealing as winter approaches,but leave @ 2p.m.looking forward to a ride in daylight Smile

A few years ago, I rode the 3 miles to and from work every single day for 4 years, no matter what the weather. I got fed up with it in the end, partly because of coping with the half asleep numpties driving to work not giving a sh*t for anyone else on the road. It only takes 10-15 mins to get home in the car, then get changed and out if it's not chucking it down. If it is, I get my tea, have a snooze then onto the turbo.

TURBO................................now avoiding that piece of kit makes riding to work worthwhile Laughing Laughing
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend starting uni next week, they couldn't understand why i thought they were being stupid budgeting for a bus ride to and from uni every day.

The digs are about 3/4 of a mile from the campus........ and according to this individual, no-one walks that far.
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_storey wrote:

I find people's attitudes very strange regarding "it's only 3 miles". This is exactly the sort of journey that should be undertaken by bike, foot, etc as it is better for the environment.

Why not think of that - rather than the suitability of the ride to work as training?

bus in, run home, not worth getting the bike out and commute friendly for a 3 mile journey.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
I have a friend starting uni next week, they couldn't understand why i thought they were being stupid budgeting for a bus ride to and from uni every day.

The digs are about 3/4 of a mile from the campus........ and according to this individual, no-one walks that far.

How overweight is this individual? Rolling Eyes
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is interesting that the biggest proportion "Always" cycle to work. Maybe it's a case of getting into a habit. If you automatically reach for the cycling kit when you get out of bed, then it doesn't seem so bad. If you lay there thinking: shall I cycle or not? then you probably won't.
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy_storey wrote:

Driving the 3 miles to and from work helps me to better utilise my time. The car is also handy to be at the office if i have to go out during the day.
Also, I'm not really that bothered about the environment. A majority voted in a Government to worry about that on my behalf. Smile
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
mattr wrote:

How overweight is this individual? Rolling Eyes

not in the slightest

I think they will be by the end of their first year tho!
(unless money won't stretch to bus journeys)
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snakeeater wrote:
I can only cycle home from work as there are no showers. Its 35 miles away which gives me enough distance to do what I feel like at the time.

I've tried cycling in to work on two occassions and both were a nightmare. The 1st time I got drenched midway (weather girls got that one wrong!) and the 2nd time I got to the disabled bogs where I would normally wash and they were out of order. People at work already think Im a freak in my lycra pants so if they see me changing and washing in the gents bogs... Confused

The sooner you get over what other people think the better. Once they are over the "novelty" they soon get bored of it, just avit. Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Cos it's 45 miles and I'm a lightweight.

Move closer. Smile

As soon as I move I change assignments so I'd have to move again...

Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pierre Head wrote:
Tory Tim wrote:
You should speak to Pierre Head, this time of the year you should be shuffling your feet rather than running, with some secret strength hopping at the weekend

There are obviously some people who have genuine excuses, so why don't the rest of you do what is called 'The Dawn Patrol'?
Get out by 5.30am, do a couple of hours, then home to shower and eat before going to work.

Cos i wouldnt be at work till 10.

MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cycled to work for the last 6 years - almost every day. In winter I draw the line when it's both dark and raining (just too easy for cars not to see me Sad ).

I generally use the car once or twice a week - if I need the car for something at lunchtime or on the way home (or if traning has left me just too knackered).

I'm lucky that we have a gym at work, and after my endless naggng, I now have my own locker too.

My route is 8.5 mile mostly uphill into the prevalent winds on the morning. I probably sound like a complete wuss, but the wind has been soooooo strong at times that getting to work has taken me nearly an hour! Shocked Mind you, that beats the 4.5 hours it took some people in the cars this morning (the motorway was closed!) Very Happy

It also helps that I work flexi-time and can start work any time up to 10:00. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: