Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Do you cycle to work?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Do you cycle to work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you cycle to work:
Always
35%
 35%  [ 30 ]
Usually
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Occassionally
23%
 23%  [ 20 ]
Never
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 84

Daphne Brackett
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I at least try and ride in the two days I work in the office, 15 miles each way and since I got light for my birthday yesterday I have no excuse over the winter Confused The ride is all country lanes with 5 miles along the Grantham *CENSORED* and fairly flat as well, with a shower at work it really starts the day off well. In fact today I drove in and really noticed that it took me a while to get my a%$e into gear.

The other 3 days of the week I work at home so do the down the stairs stroll then. I am considering working in the office more whether I'll ride in more I don't know as the time involved plays havoc with the rest of te families arrangements.
morite
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride to work and back at least 3 times a week. we have a shower room and somewhere inside to store my bike.

I'm wanting to change my job now we have been assimilated into another company but finding too many hurdles in the way. Like having to buy another car, train fares, loosing fitness, etc

I've rode a bike to work for the last 20 years and had everything from a wet face cloth to a hot shower and never had a problem.

http://vchalton.myminicity.com
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eeyore"]Also, I'm not really that bothered about the environment. A majority voted in a Government to worry about that on my behalf. Smile[/quote]
Shocked
I hope you're joking. Otherwise, that's a terrible attitude. If we leave it to governments, we're doomed.

I bet you like Jeremy Clarkson as well. Rolling Eyes
metroid
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bally wrote:
Hutton (Brentwood) to the City - about 23 miles each way.

i did walthamstow to chessington and back (90km round trip/4hrs) for 4 months last year. that's pretty much extreme north east london to extreme south west, through the guts. surely one of the worst commutes possible.

it actually wrecked my training because i ended up physically and mentally drained, and unable to do proper rides.

i consider the half hour to work and home everyday absolutely essential to my training. i move between very easy and steady tempo, depending on mood, and when i'm building speed during the season i jump on the tail of more motorcyclists.
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Also, I'm not really that bothered about the environment. A majority voted in a Government to worry about that on my behalf. Smile

Shocked
I hope you're joking. Otherwise, that's a terrible attitude. If we leave it to governments, we're doomed.

No I'm not joking. If the democratically voted in Governments don't sort, I'm sure people like yourself will, by riding your bikes in to work each day.
I just think, for me, to get dressed in the morning to ride 3 miles to work, chain my bike outside to a railing, get changed again for work. Finish work, get changed to ride 3 mile home to change my bike because I won't leave a decent bike chained to a handrail everyday is a waste of my time.
By the way, I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson. Wink
Des

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
Cary de Weigh wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Also, I'm not really that bothered about the environment. A majority voted in a Government to worry about that on my behalf. Smile

Shocked

No I'm not joking. If the democratically voted in Governments don't sort, I'm sure people like yourself will, by riding your bikes in to work each day.
I just think, for me, to get dressed in the morning to ride 3 miles to work, chain my bike outside to a railing, get changed again for work. Finish work, get changed to ride 3 mile home to change my bike because I won't leave a decent bike chained to a handrail everyday is a waste of my time.
By the way, I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson. Wink

You Don't need to get changed for tree miles *CENSORED*.
Sprocket
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
But there's more to it than just the environment. After years of thinking along similar lines to yoruself, I have been cycling in the past couple of weeks on a specially knocked together bike (old MTB + slicks + rack) and have been having an absolute hoot. Wakes you up in the morning and blows the cobwebs away. I even had no problem setting off in the rain this morning. Bring it on!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Shocked I hope you're joking. Otherwise, that's a terrible attitude. If we leave it to governments, we're doomed.
It's a perfectly sensible attitude, IMO. There's virtually nothing any individual can do; it's a problem that must be tackled by collective action, i.e. by governments. Voting for such governments is our job.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Eeyore"]No I'm not joking. If the democratically voted in Governments don't sort, I'm sure people like yourself will, by riding your bikes in to work each day.
By the way, I can't stand Jeremy Clarkson. Wink[/quote]

I'm not saying you must cycle to work, but please think again about your part in saving the planet. Governments only think short-term. Take the current one for example. I'm sure they would say they want to save the planet, but they won't do anything to discourage driving for fear of losing votes.

What really changes things are ground-swells of public opinion. And people like you and me can play a small part in those. Cycling is on the up - there's no doubt about it in my mind. We can give momentum to that by setting an example. Showing your work colleagues that it's a viable option is a good thing.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Cary de Weigh wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Shocked I hope you're joking. Otherwise, that's a terrible attitude. If we leave it to governments, we're doomed.
It's a perfectly sensible attitude, IMO. There's virtually nothing any individual can do; it's a problem that must be tackled by collective action, i.e. by governments. Voting for such governments is our job.

If we all took individual responsibility though Roy, rather then leaving it to Governments etc, we'd have far greater effects and a lot less government and taxes Idea
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:

You're right about collective action, but so wrong about governments (IMHO). Governments don't lead...they follow public opinion, and public opinion is influenced by you and me. I know it's only a small effect, but it does matter.
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
I'm not saying you must cycle to work, but please think again about your part in saving the planet. Governments only think short-term. Take the current one for example. I'm sure they would say they want to save the planet, but they won't do anything to discourage driving for fear of losing votes.

What really changes things are ground-swells of public opinion. And people like you and me can play a small part in those. Cycling is on the up - there's no doubt about it in my mind. We can give momentum to that by setting an example. Showing your work colleagues that it's a viable option is a good thing.

Like I said, I rode in to work for 4 years (sold the car). I could leave home in the dry and get to work wet through. I don't think my colleagues thought "Oh Mark is showing us a viable option to cars" They would think "Mark's wet through again, it's only 3 miles, he ought to get a car, what a tw*t"
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

metroid wrote:
Bally wrote:
Hutton (Brentwood) to the City - about 23 miles each way.

i did walthamstow to chessington and back (90km round trip/4hrs) for 4 months last year. that's pretty much extreme north east london to extreme south west, through the guts. surely one of the worst commutes possible.

it actually wrecked my training because i ended up physically and mentally drained, and unable to do proper rides.

i consider the half hour to work and home everyday absolutely essential to my training. i move between very easy and steady tempo, depending on mood, and when i'm building speed during the season i jump on the tail of more motorcyclists.

I'd hate to think how mnay sets of light there are on that commute - great for the standing starts though Wink

Seriously though it does take quite a while to adjust to it and the first year you end up quite tired.
As you say it can play havoc with your training because you don't feel like doing an extra 'quality' work, although it is great base training during the winter.

During the season I would ride in but take the train home on Tuesday's to get back in time for the evening 10's. On Thursday's I would stop off at Eastway but then take the train home afterwards.
I also took the train home on Fridays and/or Mondays sometimes depending on whether I had a big race coming up or was knackered from Sunday's race.

During the winter (Jan Feb March) we used to have a chain gang round Hog Hill (4.5 miles x 5) twice a week which I did on the way back, and then carried on home afterwards, so ended up with 70 ish miles those days!

All my PB's and best rides are from those years - including a sub 4 hour 100 pre tri bars.

Edit.
When I changed jobs, I was offically based in Chelmsford but working on site in the City so all my travelling expenses were paid. This included those odd train tickets and all the parts I wore out on my bike - chains, tyres, spockets, etc. Very Happy Lasted for 16 months til I transferred to Chelmsford.

Quickest I wore though a tyre was 2 months - a Michelin Sport (Zig Zag) 27 x 1.25 from brand new to showing the canvas all the way round Exclamation
Best wearing was a Conti Supersport Kevlar - nearly a year
"real class" - George Gilbert"

Last edited by Bally on Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
cakeathon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 flat miles each way, which I do typically 4 days a week

Its nearly always in heavy traffic, which in the winter when its dark and raining becomes dodgy. Usually in the evenings the bike is quicker than the car, and its always quicker than public transport.

I have managed to get two non cyclists to ride into work on a regular basis with encouragement and advice. So hopefully thats my bit done for the environment Very Happy

"what are you talking about !" - Edna Mode
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cakeathon wrote:

Its nearly always in heavy traffic, which in the winter when its dark and raining becomes dodgy. Usually in the evenings the bike is quicker than the car, and its always quicker than public transport.

I have managed to get two non cyclists to ride into work on a regular basis with encouragement and advice. So hopefully thats my bit done for the environment Very Happy

So, with all due respect, you have managed to persuade 2 non cyclists to ride to work on roads you say are heavy with traffic, get dodgey in the dark and wet. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if one of them has a bad accident. Never mind the environment, I'd keep my big nose out and let others decide for themselves whether they want to cycle to work or not.
Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
cakeathon wrote:

So, with all due respect, you have managed to persuade 2 non cyclists to ride to work on roads you say are heavy with traffic, get dodgey in the dark and wet. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if one of them has a bad accident. Never mind the environment, I'd keep my big nose out and let others decide for themselves whether they want to cycle to work or not.

I give up! Rolling Eyes

One wonders why you ride a bike? Confused
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
I give up! Rolling Eyes

One wonders why you ride a bike? Confused

Because I love riding my bikes. I love to get out on my bike AFTER work, go on a nice steady ride in the Peak District area and enjoy the scenery and the quiet. Or do harder training rides, feel the hurt and the sweat trying to hold the watts. Or a hard weekend ride with a great set of like minded friends. But I keep the cycling part separate from the work part, that is apart from this blasted VeloRiders. Very Happy
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Cary de Weigh wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
If we all took individual responsibility though Roy, rather then leaving it to Governments etc, we'd have far greater effects and a lot less government and taxes Idea
If indeed; but we know that the if everybody.... argument never works.
Cary de Weigh wrote:
You're right about collective action, but so wrong about governments (IMHO). Governments don't lead...they follow public opinion, and public opinion is influenced by you and me. I know it's only a small effect, but it does matter.
Do you think so? I disagree, they do as they please. Sometimes, very very rarely, they cave in (poll tax) but usually not (Iraq).

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
kylie
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you cycle to work? Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
If not, why not?

No.

Because I work on an oil rig.

http://www.lupusuk.com/
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you cycle to work? Reply with quote

kylie wrote:
Cary de Weigh wrote:
If not, why not?

No.

Because I work on an oil rig.

Cop out.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: