Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Do you cycle to work?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Do you cycle to work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you cycle to work:
Always
35%
 35%  [ 30 ]
Usually
22%
 22%  [ 19 ]
Occassionally
23%
 23%  [ 20 ]
Never
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 84

Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, never.

No showers, no secure storage, no lockers. Also not to keen on negotiating Brum's inner ring road twice a day. Plus my shifts mean I miss the rush hour, I can park for free 10 minutes walk from my office and even allowing for the walk it takes me less than 30 minutes from Door to desk.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Des wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Cary de Weigh wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Also, I'm not really that bothered about the environment. A majority voted in a Government to worry about that on my behalf. Smile
Shocked I hope you're joking. Otherwise, that's a terrible attitude. If we leave it to governments, we're doomed.
It's a perfectly sensible attitude, IMO. There's virtually nothing any individual can do; it's a problem that must be tackled by collective action, i.e. by governments. Voting for such governments is our job.
If we all took individual responsibility though Roy, rather then leaving it to Governments etc, we'd have far greater effects and a lot less government and taxes Idea
If indeed; but we know that the if everybody.... argument never works.
Cary de Weigh wrote:
You're right about collective action, but so wrong about governments (IMHO). Governments don't lead...they follow public opinion, and public opinion is influenced by you and me. I know it's only a small effect, but it does matter.
Do you think so? I disagree, they do as they please. Sometimes, very very rarely, they cave in (poll tax) but usually not (Iraq).

It's rock all to do with politics, it's to do with living properly and respecting the planet we live on.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
PNuT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ the moment 3-4 times a week.....

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
SteveO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Do you cycle to work? Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
If not, why not?

No, because i'm an astronaut.
cakeathon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
cakeathon wrote:
7 flat miles each way, which I do typically 4 days a week

Its nearly always in heavy traffic, which in the winter when its dark and raining becomes dodgy. Usually in the evenings the bike is quicker than the car, and its always quicker than public transport.

I have managed to get two non cyclists to ride into work on a regular basis with encouragement and advice. So hopefully thats my bit done for the environment Very Happy

So, with all due respect, you have managed to persuade 2 non cyclists to ride to work on roads you say are heavy with traffic, get dodgey in the dark and wet. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if one of them has a bad accident. Never mind the environment, I'd keep my big nose out and let others decide for themselves whether they want to cycle to work or not.

A bit harsh Confused
They ride their bikes when they want to, not because I say so. They are adults.
They dont do the same commute as me, one of them is all on cycle paths, and they are fair weather cyclists - ie they dont generally ride in the rain/winter when the roads are at their worst.
My nose is not big Wink

With all due respect Twisted Evil off.

"what are you talking about !" - Edna Mode
Sprocket
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cakeathon wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
cakeathon wrote:
7 flat miles each way, which I do typically 4 days a week

Its nearly always in heavy traffic, which in the winter when its dark and raining becomes dodgy. Usually in the evenings the bike is quicker than the car, and its always quicker than public transport.

I have managed to get two non cyclists to ride into work on a regular basis with encouragement and advice. So hopefully thats my bit done for the environment Very Happy

So, with all due respect, you have managed to persuade 2 non cyclists to ride to work on roads you say are heavy with traffic, get dodgey in the dark and wet. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes if one of them has a bad accident. Never mind the environment, I'd keep my big nose out and let others decide for themselves whether they want to cycle to work or not.

A bit harsh Confused
They ride their bikes when they want to, not because I say so. They are adults.
They dont do the same commute as me, one of them is all on cycle paths, and they are fair weather cyclists - ie they dont generally ride in the rain/winter when the roads are at their worst.
My nose is not big Wink

With all due respect Twisted Evil off.
Well said, Chris! Very Happy Very Happy
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprocket, you continue having a hoot riding your hybrid to work.

Cakeathon, I did not say your nose is big, read the post again. By the way are you one of those 2 people in that Avator? Hmmmm...

By the way please don't tell me to Twisted Evil off. It's not very nice bringing that sort of expletive into a discussion. You must be getting wound up. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Peter Tete
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this thread nicely illlustrates that just because someone is a keen cyclist it does not mean they have to care about the environment. Smile
cakeathon
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
Sprocket, you continue having a hoot riding your hybrid to work.

Cakeathon, I did not say your nose is big, read the post again. By the way are you one of those 2 people in that Avator? Hmmmm...

By the way please don't tell me to Twisted Evil off. It's not very nice bringing that sort of expletive into a discussion. You must be getting wound up. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can see why you are called Eeyore Rolling Eyes

"what are you talking about !" - Edna Mode
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cakeathon wrote:
I can see why you are called Eeyore Rolling Eyes

No you can't. You haven't a clue why I have chosen that name. (To be honest I've tried to change it to my given name, but it keeps on loading the original name).
bosch
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not any more, because i live 200 yards away from work, and its on a steep hill.
when i did it was 10 miles each way through london backstreets, 5x per week. have never been fitter, or more alert at the start of a work day. it can really wear you down over the course of the week though unless you take it easy.
also can potentially be dangerous. i thought the problem was that car drivers don't concentrate early in the mornings, then i got lost on the way to work twice in a week (on a route i'd done 200+ times).
did have the benefit of good shower, changing and parking facilities, which is really the key thing.
Sprocket
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeyore wrote:
You haven't a clue why I have chosen that name.

You could always enlighten us. Do you sometimes look a little glum? Do you love to join in with the fun? Are you a grey four-legged one?

(Sorry, it comes to something when I can't get my daughter's bedtime reading out of my head! Laughing )
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprocket wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
You haven't a clue why I have chosen that name.

You could always enlighten us. Do you sometimes look a little glum? Do you love to join in with the fun? Are you a grey four-legged one?

(Sorry, it comes to something when I can't get my daughter's bedtime reading out of my head! Laughing )

Eeyore was my favourite Winnie-The-Pooh character, but you just don't seem glum enough to be him Confused . The jury's still out on whether you're my fave VR poster too. Wink

Cary de Weigh
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Peter Tete"]I think this thread nicely illlustrates that just because someone is a keen cyclist it does not mean they have to care about the environment. Smile[/quote]

I know...that's what I can't fathom! I cannot understand why anyone who has enjoyed the benefits of cycling (and suffered the disadvantages of mixing with traffic) cannot make the link with caring for the environment.

If you enjoy riding a bike in a peaceful, quiet and clean environment, then you've got to be against the uncontrolled growth in motor vehicle usage, and you've got to be in favour of people cycling to work.
Eeyore
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cary de Weigh wrote:
Peter Tete wrote:
I think this thread nicely illlustrates that just because someone is a keen cyclist it does not mean they have to care about the environment. Smile

I know...that's what I can't fathom! I cannot understand why anyone who has enjoyed the benefits of cycling (and suffered the disadvantages of mixing with traffic) cannot make the link with caring for the environment.

If you enjoy riding a bike in a peaceful, quiet and clean environment, then you've got to be against the uncontrolled growth in motor vehicle usage, and you've got to be in favour of people cycling to work.

I do mentally make the link with the environment, I think about it and the issues, but as I said before I don't let it bother me or worry me.
I don't 'suffer' the disadvantages of mixing with traffic, I put up with it, traffic has as much right as me to be on the road. Presumably most vehicles have passed the emission control at the MOT so are not doing anything wrong within how the emission laws stand at this moment in time.
I haven't 'GOT' to be against the uncontrolled growth in vehicle usage at all. And I haven't 'GOT' to be in favour of people riding to work either, I just don't think about it. Live and let live.
With regard to cars, the only thing that really gets my goat, is the people who park half on the road and half on the pavement. It gives more room on the road yes, it gives more room for cyclists yes, but these people are in effect driving on the pavement, which is supposed to be a safe refuge for pedestrian's. Surely that's against the law but the Police appear to turn a blind eye to that. But that's another issue.
It's fine if people want to cycle to work for whatever reason, that's up to them. I don't, that's up to me. Actually if I worked further from home, I would cycle to work sometimes, because, then, the time spent in the car would be wasted. But working within 3 miles from home isn't worth it for me IMHO. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: