Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - are british cycling useless?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

are british cycling useless?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

are british cycling useless?
yes
32%
 32%  [ 26 ]
no
67%
 67%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 79

racault

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: are british cycling useless? Reply with quote

after their recent cave-in to the coppers and the general failure to promote road-races. what do you think?
Fritz
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 10 years ago you could of said that. IMO I think there has been a lot of progression since then and although I think there are still problems in some areas I still think they have done a good job and are heading in the right direction. The charges you speak about were dropped in the end, so I guess it was the right decision by BC.
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just say they're useless in a broad sense; they may not be very good at some stuff, but on the whole I wouldn't say they're useless.

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
Des

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are certainly not useless. Like all organisations there are areas they could still do better at, however unlike a lot of similar (sports) organisations they also excel in several areas. So in the main a big pat on the back for all the staff in Manchester and I hope they are enjoying their Christmas.
Lillywhite
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: are british cycling useless? Reply with quote

racault wrote:
after their recent cave-in to the coppers and the general failure to promote road-races. what do you think?

So you get everything right do you?

I believe Clubs promote road races not the governing body.
TBK
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC are like women in many ways, they are never completely useless, you can always hurl abuse at them! Shocked Rolling Eyes
leghurty
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with most here in that BC seem to be always aspiring to perform as best they can with our lottery money. IMO, relative to a few other sport governing bodies I've worked with - THEY ARE FANTASTIC!

As an alternative to grouting the bathroom again, the only things I'd like to examine closely are their costs and daily expeniture. Also they need to take charge of all the calendars if they are a real govening body and stop blaming organisers for the prem series starting in winter and ending in the middle of summer.
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall they do a job about 200% better than 10 years ago. Forget not that the whole edifice nearly collapsed not all that long ago.
The legal thing is getting reviewed so at least lessons are being learned.
Premier Calendar depends on organisers wanting to promote, and the simple fact is that spring/early summer races get better fields than events later in the year. You can only have events when people want to run them.
The staff at BC do a good job on the resources they have, and before anyone starts bleating about "all the lottery money", remember that most of it goes into the WCPP side. Which has been a good investment, because if you look at pure statistics, over the past three Olympics, cycling has got the most medals of ANY sport. The "why no road success" brigade may moan, however look at the number of ex-plan riders now on decent pro team, plying their trade(and talent) at the top levels.
Certainly 8/10 overall, and getting better.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: are british cycling useless? Reply with quote

racault wrote:

Presumably you are out there promoting loads of road races yourself?
Dr Ferrari
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: are british cycling useless? Reply with quote

racault wrote:

Yet another expert!!.....from the above statement I guess you have not been in the sport long? Laughing
xixang
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think BC itself does a reasonable job (could be better, but improving) - it's the local jobsworth divisional administrators that give it a bad name for me. too officious and closed to suggestions on improvement.

slightly off topic but racing is still too expensive IMHO. Membership at 34 quid for silver then a further 30 quid for a licence and additional on top if you want a calendar. £64 before i even get on the bike and then races are £13ish.

waht happened to the "make racing cheaper" after the competition review a couple of years back? race entries increased significantly (30% over previous year for a certain crit series held in NW) even though costs to promoters re event fees, rider levies etc were supposedly reduced by BC. there generally seems to be a significant drop-out of U16 riders once they reach junior level and again junior to U23 - possibly costs (most juniors/U23's are still at college/uni and cannot necessarily afford all the various fees. granted, it may be other factors, but i bet cost is a major one). I'm not one btw so it's not a personal whinge
_LaUrEn_
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBK wrote:
BC are like women in many ways, they are never completely useless, you can always hurl abuse at them! Shocked Rolling Eyes

Surprised Evil or Very Mad I think thats men
duderoadracer
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: are British Cycling useless? Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am old enough to remember when the only attention cycling got was when Hugh Porter reached a World Pursuit final. I looked forward to the five minute highlights this received on World of Sport.
Now we expect to win World titles on the track and in 2007 we will see the largest number of British Professional riders racing abroad since perhaps the early days of TI Raleigh. We also seem to have the finest Academy of young riders that GB has ever seen. I certainly do not think BC are useless but I do think they need professional media and sponsorship help to fully exploit the 2012 opportunities.
Dr Ferrari
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xixang wrote:
i think BC itself does a reasonable job (could be better, but improving) - it's the local jobsworth divisional administrators that give it a bad name for me. too officious and closed to suggestions on improvement.

slightly off topic but racing is still too expensive IMHO. Membership at 34 quid for silver then a further 30 quid for a licence and additional on top if you want a calendar. £64 before i even get on the bike and then races are £13ish.

waht happened to the "make racing cheaper" after the competition review a couple of years back? race entries increased significantly (30% over previous year for a certain crit series held in NW) even though costs to promoters re event fees, rider levies etc were supposedly reduced by BC. there generally seems to be a significant drop-out of U16 riders once they reach junior level and again junior to U23 - possibly costs (most juniors/U23's are still at college/uni and cannot necessarily afford all the various fees. granted, it may be other factors, but i bet cost is a major one). I'm not one btw so it's not a personal whinge

Licence is fair enough ,but agree on the price per race....I used to pay 10f in france to ride.....but that was all down to races having sponsors!!..I can only see the price per race getting more per year!. Sad

Last edited by Dr Ferrari on Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
kieran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" there generally seems to be a significant drop-out of U16 riders once they reach junior level and again junior to U23 - possibly costs (most juniors/U23's are still at college/uni and cannot necessarily afford all the various fees"
the step up from youth to junior is a bit hard from 6laps of mallory to 4hour road races!
coal miner
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieran wrote:
" there generally seems to be a significant drop-out of U16 riders once they reach junior level and again junior to U23 - possibly costs (most juniors/U23's are still at college/uni and cannot necessarily afford all the various fees"
the step up from youth to junior is a bit hard from 6laps of mallory to 4hour road races!

Yes but thats not Bc it happens in all countrys/walks of life.
People discover beer, men/women, clubbing etc etc and pack in sport Crying or Very sad
kieran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coal miner wrote:
kieran wrote:

People discover beer, men/women, clubbing etc etc and pack in sport Crying or Very sad

who are you anyways some chipper what do you know Laughing Laughing Laughing
( Wink )
PHHH
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kieran wrote:
coal miner wrote:
kieran wrote:

who are you anyways some chipper what do you know Laughing Laughing Laughing
( Wink )

So i have heard matey boy Wink KING OF THE CHIPPERS IS COALMINER Laughing
Vetman
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Road racing is still a secret sport in this country. That's the way the authorities like it. No use in getting too many kids hooked just causes a nuisance on the raods. BC, bless them, are lottery funded. Medals on the track...that's the name of the game!
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vetman wrote:
Road racing is still a secret sport in this country. That's the way the authorities like it. No use in getting too many kids hooked just causes a nuisance on the raods. BC, bless them, are lottery funded. Medals on the track...that's the name of the game!
Vetman is a backwards looking imbicile... Certainly not the forwards looking organisation that is spending huge amounts of lottery and sponsorship money from multinationals in promoting the past-time and sport to as many kids as they can get hold of. He obviously hasn't seen the numbers of road stars we are now creating, some with quite clear chances of gaining the upper reaches of the ladder (as opposed to no chance we had before, one or two exceptional people excepted). He hasn't noticed that the worlds biggest bike race is going to be in the UK for a few days in 2007. That race will likely see the most UK professionals start the event since the days of the ANC team of 1987-who were a one-off anyway. Many of those will have started off on that track medal hunt of the past few years... Ironically many of those road pro's have been forced to seek these jobs as the track is becoming too difficult to guarantee them a place in the squad as we have so much talent coming up though the younger ranks that there is fierce competition for such places - most of them coming through the well set up system from schools though to Olympics and beyond that even the Aussies are looking at it to see where they can improve. We have so many World Champs that if you go to a Revolution track meet you have difficulties pinpointing which rider is which as they all seem to be wearing rainbow bands on their chests!
Yes they do have a lot still to do and they do seem to be making noises in the right direction on some of those. It's not quick enough for some, but then things like converting the British press and Public into a cycling mad and fanatical supporter is going to be a little tougher than making us the best cycling nation in the world. But it's a bloody good start.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: