Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Road and Track licence points

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Road and Track licence points
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should track events be awarded points for BC road licence
ALL track events should be awarded points
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Only track ENDURANCE events should be awarded points
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
NO track events should be awarded points
60%
 60%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 43

Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Road and Track licence points Reply with quote

Should BC licence points for road and track be separate?

Currently only track events of over 3km count for licence points i.e. Endurance track events, sprint events get no points, the thinking behind that decision being that someone who can win a distance event on the track is also likely to be a good rider on the road.

Previously (pre 2006) all track events used to get points.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no points should be awarded that has any effect on road licence points and category. Keep them completely seperate. Track points are ok in their own right.

Paul
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
I say no points should be awarded that has any effect on road licence points and category. Keep them completely seperate. Track points are ok in their own right.

Paul

I'm curious as to how you'd cope with someone like James Taylor? Up until this year (when he changed team) he hardly used to race on the road, all his points were track based, yet he won the national crit champs?
How would a system which totally separates road and track points cope with such a talented rider?
Similarly, Malcolm Elliot races almost exclusively on the road, yet he won the Golden Wheel at Herne Hill - the biggest endurance track race on the calendar.
How do we build a system which can allow for the fact that some riders would clearly be Elite in both disciplines if the points are separate? Confused
xixang
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

track and road should be separate. Not sure how the new ruling has changed things but I have known 1st and 2nd cat riders (purely off track points) not hacking it on 20 mile crits. I'm sure the reverse would apply to me if i were to attempt track
xixang
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard Kennedy wrote:

How do we build a system which can allow for the fact that some riders would clearly be Elite in both disciplines if the points are separate? Confused

score them separate and let any riders with the ability build up to elite in two cats. As far as I'm concerned track and road are distinct categories, as are downhill, xc mtb, cyclocross etc etc
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xixang wrote:
Richard Kennedy wrote:

score them separate and let any riders with the ability build up to elite in two cats. As far as I'm concerned track and road are distinct categories, as are downhill, xc mtb, cyclocross etc etc

I agree in principle, but the problem is those riders (such as Malcolm Elliot whom I mentioned earlier). He's won countless premier calendars in the past few years, but he rode his first open track meeting for, probably 20, years at Herne Hill and won. With completely separate road and track points he'd have been a 3rd cat on the track! that's clearly a nonsense Sad

xixang wrote:
track and road should be separate. Not sure how the new ruling has changed things but I have known 1st and 2nd cat riders (purely off track points) not hacking it on 20 mile crits. I'm sure the reverse would apply to me if i were to attempt track

I'd have been one of those riders!!! I was an elite for many years based purely on track SPRINT points. Yet my weight and sprint training meant that I'd have stood not a chance in hell in an elite road race. My true road category would probably have been somewhere between 2nd and 3rd cat (depending how hilly the course was) Laughing
The new ruling is that SPRINT events no longer get any points, hence I'm not an elite any more Cool Those riders who are winning ENDURANCE events on the track are still getting points.
To my mind that's how it should be, I wondered what everyone else thought, hence this poll.
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those riders who want track points can claim them, those that don't want them - don't.

This means that track events shouldn't suffer from a drop in numbers (due to roadies not riding them coz no points available - as has happened before) and trackies who only ride the odd road race won't have to ride in races above their ability.
"real class" - George Gilbert"
IainW
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Track shouln't get any points, unless they are called track points, but then there would be another discussion to split sprint from endurance.

In the case of riders like Malcom Elliot, the organisers and officialls know who has class, (or they should do), it's just the same for an overseas visitor, they come for the competition, not to roll round in a chipper.
brummie_tom
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon elite licences should not be related to points but awarded to riders who are really 'elite' such as the old rule that top 75 premier calender points scorers were elite (even this may be a bit too many?), with obvious exceptions such as foreign based pros/elite amateurs (ie elite 2 in France or the equivalent in italy etc) in europe being given elite licences through communication with BC.

This would make being an elite mean exactly that whereas now, especially since there are no 1st cat only races, there appears to be no real difference between e and 1.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in mtb your road cat influences your mtb cat but to a lower extent - could a similar system be used? so a 1st cat on the track would be a second cat on the road even with no road points for example. those who are clearly elite in both are likely to be riding for trade teams anyway so wouldn't they have elite licences automatically?
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is flawed as there is no such thing as a BC road licence. Personally I think the present system is o.k. as it doesn't penalise road and track all rounders (as seperate points would) and doesn't give loads of points to trackies for all the events under 3km.
John McC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:

Paul

That would mean someone like me could enter a 3rd cat road race. Not a good idea.
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ultimate aim of a points system is (in my opinion) two fold.

- First, to seperate out riders of different abilities so that they can compete amongst other riders of similar abilities for "good" racing.

- Second, to provide an incentive scheme for competing (i.e. having a higher total of points somehow infers status / kudos upon yourself.

The current system gives (again, only in my opinion) too much weight to the second of these, and not enough to the first. In particular, it is relatively easy for riders to enter lots of chipper events and accumulate lots of points without being really any good (relatively speaking). I'm sure most people can cite examples of riders that have a points category that is way above (and below) their "true" status.

In an ideal world, there'd be a system whereby your category reflects your status in each event (so crit points, road points, track endurance points, track sprint points, grass track points etc etc etc etc) however that would be unweildy and there aren't enough events to accumulate sufficient points in a given discipline to make any of these specific classifications meaningful.

The point is that any points system is going to be a compromise between accuracy and usefulness - it'll never be perfect.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest that if road and track points were split then there would be some kind of transferrable system so that ability in one would be (partially) reflected in the status of another. For example, the track category would be no less than 2 below the road category (and vice versa so an elite track rider would automatically gain 2nd cat road status).

I'm sure there are probably problems with that at the fringes too, but at least that way you wouldn't get very good track riders lumped in with 4th cats in road races etc.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Thomo wrote:

Paul
That would mean someone like me could enter a 3rd cat road race. Not a good idea.
Whilst that is true, if you did a few it's likely you would upgrade fairly quickly.
One other thing to take into account is that any rider can ask for a higher graded category than their points would otherwise suggest (although the reverse is not allowed). This would mean a good endurance trackie could still be given a 2nd or 1st cat licence.

Paul
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I pose a question - when did anyone ever see a track event for E/1/2 only, for example? From what I can see there appears to be no need whatever to have catagories for track anyway, and hence the need for the ever-discussed points is (pardon the pun) pointless for a track rider. Just issue 1st cat licences to GB trackies, (not Elite, don't get started on that again...), and everyone else gets on with the racing, whatever their "road" category.
All it needs is a bit of common sense.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:
Can I pose a question - when did anyone ever see a track event for E/1/2 only, for example? From what I can see there appears to be no need whatever to have catagories for track anyway, and hence the need for the ever-discussed points is (pardon the pun) pointless for a track rider. Just issue 1st cat licences to GB trackies, (not Elite, don't get started on that again...), and everyone else gets on with the racing, whatever their "road" category.

Back in the early 1990 somethings the points for track were done away with for a season and there wasn't a noticable drop in numbers of the 'hardcore' track riders - the same core of faces were at most meetings.
Most of the track organisers have a good idea who should be an a class rider and who should be in the B class, give organisers the discretion to move riders around the categories during a meeting and there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm a qualified coach.
John McC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dockeca wrote:

So, under your system, when a very good endurance trackie does his one and only road race of the season, he will have zero points, and so will be racing with a bunch of third cats. Hardly ideal.

What is needed is a system where good endurance track riders will get enough points from their track racing to prevent them, when racing in the odd road event, from being allowed to race in the "easier" (say 2nd/3rd cats) events, which would be most unfair for the other competitors.

Those who advocate separate points for road and track, or even no points for track consistently fail to recognise in their argument that most good endurace trackies, generally ride a few road events. We must have a category/points system that addresses this fact.

Last edited by John McC on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
John McC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Back in the early 1990 somethings the points for track were done away with for a season and there wasn't a noticable drop in numbers of the 'hardcore' track riders - the same core of faces were at most meetings.

But what happened was entries at open track meetings plummeted.

Last edited by John McC on Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key question is - what is the point of being awarded points in a track race? Answer that one and everything else will fall into place.

As has already been mentioned above, track points give no reflection on a persons ability in a road race (in both directions) and serve no useful purpose in distinguishing ability in track races (with no races limiting who can enter by points and organisers splitting fields by perceived ability).

In fact, the only observable purpose of awarding points on the track is to allow people to gain points for their own sake to artificially inflate their status (i.e. so people can strut around saying that they're a elite or whatever). As John mentioned, when they tried to do away with awarding points for track races, entries plummeted. People were only entering to gain points.

So, it seems the only reason for having points for track races is to ensure there are enough entries to make events viable. A really poor (but necessary until someone comes up with a better plan) reason for having them. A shame really. Crying or Very sad
John McC

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
So, it seems the only reason for having points for track races is to ensure there are enough entries to make events viable. A really poor (but necessary until someone comes up with a better plan) reason for having them. A shame really. Crying or Very sad

Nonsense. I refer you to my post above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: