Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Road and Track licence points

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Road and Track licence points
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should track events be awarded points for BC road licence
ALL track events should be awarded points
23%
 23%  [ 10 ]
Only track ENDURANCE events should be awarded points
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
NO track events should be awarded points
60%
 60%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 43

martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
No, I wouldn't do less track, but I'd end up with so few points, I could enter a few local easy chipper road races and earn some easy cash Very Happy

only if some chipper 4th/3rd cat doesn't bring you off and ruin your season...
i would still rather ride races i won't win with people who can ride bikes than races i will win but have a good chance of being taken out before the finish. (apologies to all those 4th and 3rd cats who can ride bikes well but you know what i mean - the chances of staying upright are far greater in a 1st cat race ime)
BryanTaylor
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xixang wrote:
BryanTaylor wrote:

Ideal solution would be to scrap categories altogether & have age related racing along with a novice adult category

this is far from ideal. I (and numerous others no doubt) can quote of many people in the same cat (based on TLI bandings) who are far better/worse than me. As a TLI 'M2' (35-39) cat I still cannot race competively with many 40+ and even some 50+ riders. Novice cats would help but what defines a novice? First year racing, until top 5 placing received or what? Contrary to TLI dogma, age related racing is not a panacea for all, in fact it places people into categories based on nothing other than accident of birth-year(obviously). Ability racing is the correct way - practically ever sport has in in some form or another. Would you condone football being played on any basis other than ability i.e. leagues? having clubs with the oldest net ages playing one another (a bit ludicrous, but you get the idea).

I did explain why it's not practical in the rest of my waffle. I was thinking of the Belgian way, where nearly all riders come into the sport as kids, there are hundreds of youth & juniors racing, so there is never a situation where a rider needs dispensation to ride up an age category, which is an area that is forever changing slightly & one we can never seem to get right in this country.

You then have some U23 events, & the main bulk of the calendar are the events for either elite with contract & elite without. The events are pretty much categorised by their standing in the calendar, race distance & the prize list - the best guys ride the events with most money & where they are likely to be noticed by bigger teams, others ride the lower events. Then there is the amateurs & masters events mostly for the older guys, although in the last couple of years it seems to have become a bit of a 'sports' category. People that aren't good enough & aren't willing or able to train to get good enough, tend to stick to the club rides & sportives out there, which seem a pretty good standard anyway from a few that I've seen, & the riders don't seem to be missing out.

But like I said, this wouldn't work over here because of how most riders come into the sport at senior level, & the mindset of many of those riders being different in terms of what they want to acheive out of their racing. When I started doing road with a few other juniors in my club, we'd get slaughtered by the likes of Steve Gower & Steve Cook, both a fair bit older, but our aim was to improve until we could beat them, not look to stick in 3rd cat races to avoid them, but if you're coming into the sport at an older age with family\work ties which seems to be the case with many new riders at the moment, this is not so easy to do.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cook, Whatever happened to Steve Cook ?

There a name from the past, probably around 15 years since I saw him cycling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: