Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - How long will Tony Bell last off the fags...................

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

How long will Tony Bell last off the fags...................
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Yes he'll manage
No fall at the the first corner shop
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
He'll do it but be cranky as hell
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Any you enjoyed it, right? Which will happen every time you have 'just one'.

One technique I've heard of but never tried is to keep an unopened packet; the resolution is that if you smoke one you must smoke them all, one after the other, so you feel sick by the end. Then, next day, back to none at all.

I have to subscribe to this - however I did it where I smoked the whole pack and threw my guts up at around the 15th - then threw all my fag parathanalia out the window (literally as I was on the 15th floor of a tower block) and became determined to train hard the day after...

Every time I relapsed I went out and trained the day after and it hurt like hell as my lungs tend to contract from the smoke and then it hurts to expand them again after the smoke...

So - after a while it got really frustrating and I just stopped. However I am now at a point where I may smoke the odd one - Cipo/Merkx style - but I NEVER - go back to purchasing my own or daily smoking....
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
So - after a while it got really frustrating and I just stopped. However I am now at a point where I may smoke the odd one - Cipo/Merkx style - but I NEVER - go back to purchasing my own or daily smoking....
I thought Merckx was a pretty heavy smoker for many years?

If I had 'just one' now after 26 years off, I'd be on 40 a day again before very long. If you can have the odd one, good luck and I'm a bit jealous, but most ex-smokers have to be off completely.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Zorro
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
Rich, went out on me bike yesterday for the first time in ages. Jeez, it's hard this cycling lark isn't it? I only did 16 miles and had to have a lie down when I got home... Confused Smile

Don't panic Tony surely Newport won't be much longer than this ?
We don't want you to be over training too soon
Laughing
Cheryl
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packing in the fags is very difficult. I tried last year and failed miserably. I'm trying again but am really struggling. I've been a smoker for over 30 years and was up to 30+ a day some days. I don't know if I can carry on without caving in, I hope so.
No-one should critiscize TB for folding last night.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Babe wrote:

Whaaa please let me.... I'm on the other side... I'm one of thse REALLY irtritating people who's quit...

Just get up and DO something different to take yer mind of it.. have a sweetie etc.

Rich
rothers
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB and TB... (sounds like a saturday morning kids show!)

I gave up in 2002 after a dire afternoon watching Everton and Notlob in a yawnsome 0-0 encounter, i threw the half full pack on the deck and walked away...

The trick i found is that you have to really want to give up, and be prepared to take yourself away from social situations where you might be inclinded to smoke ( at least for two months ), then take some arrogant pride when your smoking friends offer you one and give them the i'm not smoking retort!.. They will really hate you for giving up.....

If it all fails... build your confidence up and give it another go when you are mentally ready...

If not its a case of " My will is strong, But my Won't is weak"

Best of luck!
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Babe wrote:
Packing in the fags is very difficult. I tried last year and failed miserably. I'm trying again but am really struggling. I've been a smoker for over 30 years and was up to 30+ a day some days. I don't know if I can carry on without caving in, I hope so.

Tony that's absolutely effin pathetic, you are a total loser and BB is absolutely out of order justifying your lack of willpower and thinking we would feel sorry for you. Get a grip man for goodness sake and pull yourself together. After all if BB can do it surely you can... Smile Very Happy Laughing
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothers wrote:
The trick i found is that you have to really want to give up, and be prepared to take yourself away from social situations where you might be inclinded to smoke ( at least for two months ),
Every ex-smoker is different. I found I had to give up even though I didn't want to at all. I wanted to stay alive more than I wanted to smoke...
Quote:
then take some arrogant pride when your smoking friends offer you one and give them the i'm not smoking retort!.. They will really hate you for giving up.....
Very Happy Yeah that's the best bit innit!

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Babe wrote:
Packing in the fags is very difficult.
The hardest thing I ever did.
Quote:
I tried last year and failed miserably. I'm trying again but am really struggling. I've been a smoker for over 30 years and was up to 30+ a day some days. I don't know if I can carry on without caving in, I hope so.
You can. One day at a time. If I can do it, you can.

Cheryl
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
After all if BB can do it surely you can... Smile Very Happy Laughing

I haven't done it yet, I'm trying to but it's only my first week, as it is for TB, the first week being the most difficult I think.

Rich Hill wrote:

Just get up and DO something different to take yer mind of it.. have a sweetie etc.
Rich

Rich, my house is gleaming, I've been for walks, looking around the sales, read books and yesterday I ate a whole carton of Roses...today it's the peanuts and raisins! Shocked Laughing

rothers wrote:

The trick i found is that you have to really want to give up,

That's half the problem, it's a need to give up for both us, but neither of us really wants to. Health reasons mainly, followed by the cost, then the ban which is being brought in up here in July. We both enjoy a cigarette, we smoke too many. Confused

Roy Gardiner wrote:
If I can do it, you can.

If anyone can do it we should be able to too. I admire and respect anyone who has managed to give up and stay off them. Cool
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think tony will succeed in packing in smoking..................

.................only to become one of those whinghy ex smokers every knows who go on about how hard it is to quit all the time. etc etc
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike Babe wrote:

Rich, my house is gleaming, I've been for walks, looking around the sales, read books and yesterday I ate a whole carton of Roses...today it's the peanuts and raisins! Shocked Laughing

Rampant rabbit it is then Wink
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:

.................only to become one of those whinghy ex smokers every knows who go on about how hard it is to quit all the time. etc etc

Oh you CAN COUNT ON IT.... And frankly it would be a nice noise to hear as opposed to his hacking cough....
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
hed wrote:

Oh you CAN COUNT ON IT.... And frankly it would be a nice noise to hear as opposed to his hacking cough....

he'll still probably have that for a year or two too. when he coughs people will say "nasty smokers cough", at which point his tale of giving up lasting at least 20 minutes will begin.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on BB, let's hear you saying "I have given up smoking", not "I am trying to give up smoking". And don't let that Tony Bell drag you to the dark side just so he won't feel so guilty!!
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Cheryl
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JONNO wrote:
Come on BB, let's hear you saying "I have given up smoking", not "I am trying to give up smoking". And don't let that Tony Bell drag you to the dark side just so he won't feel so guilty!!

Ok...

I have given up smoking. Very Happy

Tony won't drag me to the dark side. He will continue in his attempt to pack in the fags and, he will encourage me to keep going if I think I'm going to cave in. Very Happy
kylie
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving up smoking is an absolute breeze. I have done it loads of times.

http://www.lupusuk.com/
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylie wrote:
Giving up smoking is an absolute breeze. I have done it loads of times.

Ditto - about 15 times in all before I finally REALLY gave up....
Emeritus
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given up Cuban cigars. I tried my first one two weeks ago and retched after three *CENSORED*. Two *CENSORED* should be enough for any man, even after half a bottle of bourbon.
Oh, apparently I can't say p u f f. The nanny state has reached VR. Rather disappointing. I can say 'rabid shirt-lifter' which is, of course, far less offensive.
Fitzy
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: How long will Tony lay off the fags for........ Reply with quote

I have never smoked but in my formative years at home both me dad and mum smoked at least 40 a day, my missus has now gone back on the smokes owing to work related stress... i am now this month relegated to the shed to keep out of her way while she weens off it, it's like PMS gone mental, the patches, gum and self help tapes just one small hitch.... the will power.

I hope TB finally nails it and stays off them, as am looking forward to seeing him riding the nocturne
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: