Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Blood Doping: Is It Worth It?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Blood Doping: Is It Worth It?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Blood Doping: Is It Worth It?
yes
40%
 40%  [ 17 ]
no
59%
 59%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 42

jessi
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Blood Doping: Is It Worth It? Reply with quote

I know that this is obviously a contraversial subject, but I have to do an A level essay on the pros and cons of blood doping.

Your opinions and ideas would be gretly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jess Very Happy
legro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats to say?

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jessi
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
whats to say?

I agree, but I need to show both sides of the argument if I want a decent grade.

I also thought that adding a table on poll results would be good, as we need to use charts, graphs etc.
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's against the rules so is cheating. If you want to cheat that's up to you. Whether it's worth it or not depends on what is at stake and your own personal priorities and morals.

TBH I can't see any pros unless you value ill-gotten gains
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People smoke, drink and have poor lifestyles that damage their health, and do it knowingly. I guess for some blood doping is the same, they evaluate the risks and make a choice.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessi wrote:
legro wrote:
whats to say?

I agree, but I need to show both sides of the argument if I want a decent grade.

I also thought that adding a table on poll results would be good, as we need to use charts, graphs etc.

You need to craft a well worded thought provoking question to encourage some discussion, then hey presto. Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the situation....

If you are a professional cyclist and you want to get results... and you know that you ride well above normal if you blood dope -and it gets you into a position to win...

Would you dope....?

I hope few people are put in this situation but thats just what happens when a bit of talent is pushed TOO far...
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Jackson wrote:
People smoke, drink and have poor lifestyles that damage their health, and do it knowingly. I guess for some blood doping is the same, they evaluate the risks and make a choice.

Poor comparison IMO. Chosing to damage your own health is one thing, cheating someone else out of a win/job/career is something completely different.
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify my position I am against cheating rather than "taking preparation". I might not be against blood doping if it were legal, properly regulated and freely available.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use controversial and greatly then you might get a better grade.
Love from the grammar police.

I'm a qualified coach.
MercMan
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
This is the situation....

If you are a professional cyclist and you want to get results... and you know that you ride well above normal if you blood dope -and it gets you into a position to win...

Would you dope....?

I hope few people are put in this situation but thats just what happens when a bit of talent is pushed TOO far...

If you were a good pro, lets say a team leader, with some good results. You want to move up to the next level, perhaps have a shot at winning a major classic, or a grand tour, a win that would cement your position within cycling. You have seen the results that others have achieved with this preparation, with few apparent side effects. One of them may have been a senior pro within your team, maybe even your hero / mentor. Also, very few have ever been caught, so you think there's a good chance you will get away with it. Given this situation, I think more would do it than not.
Andrew Jackson
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNAse wrote:
Andrew Jackson wrote:

Poor comparison IMO. Chosing to damage your own health is one thing, cheating someone else out of a win/job/career is something completely different.

The question was whether blood doping is worth it? I took that to mean the health risks V winning a few races. If the question was whether cheating was worth it I would have answered differently.
chrisd
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends on circumstances whether it is worth it or not.

if it was 1995 and EPO was undetectable and you were on the verge of losing a tour/putting in a bad performance and losing a contract then i suppose that you are really going to think about it.

but that raises the argument about is it wrong because you might get caught or it is morally wrong and what is legal and illegal?

the pros and cons are easy enough:

pros:

greater oxygen transported to the muscles, allows for quicker recovery and improved performance. nearly undetectable. will increase you ability as a cyclist.

cons:

if you get caught you are in trouble. you might die. is the administration of the *CENSORED* under the supervision of a doctor? i.e. do you know you are taking it properly and in the right amounts? will it affect you psychologically i.e. will you be able to race without it in the future?

i think it can be worth it, on the other hand you could throw away your career through greed (i.e. wanting to be a great rather than a good rider). i suppose it is a question the riders in that position have to ask themselves on a regular basis.

http://www.alternativesanctuary.co.uk
sub4
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall back in the 'good old days' when I was charitable enough to donate blood, I would still go running afterwards. Probably about 4 hrs after. I always remember feeling really up for it and flying round!

I suspect that this was not due to some self-induced aura of generousity, but a hormonal response to blood loss. Not that I would suggest that there would be any benefit if racing over a series of days (far from it!).

Has this effect ever been measured??
Dastardly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there are athletes out there who have done it, got glory, set themselves up financially and will live out their lives healthily. They would say it was worth it. If they get caught, theyd say it wasnt.
May I present to you, the greatest breakthrough in travel since Sir Rodney Tricycle thought to himself, 'I'm bored of walking, i think i'll invent something with three wheels and a bell, and name it after myself.'
:The time machine.
Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to add to this post -: Blood doping with your own bloody.. tricky but the team Dr should be able to help out.

Blood Doping with someone else blood...well for once words a failing me...
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Hill wrote:
Blood Doping with someone else blood...well for once words a failing me...

yeah, put the wrong labels on the same blood type and re-inject the domestiques blood into the team leader's system and you're in all sorts of bother.....

because it's against the law and because it requires specia list medical knowledge and procedure and money (to store and transport it properly) I'm against it personally.
To blood dope means to cheat other people out of what could have been their win be it a Grand Tour or an Olympic Title - how many cyclists from the 1984 LA Olympics feel mighty peeved that the Americans cleaned up so much and later admitted to blood doping on an organised scale?
They were operating within the rules as were but still......
Doozer
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could count Flo Jo (ameriacan female 100/200m sprinter) as a good example. "Rumoured" to be heavily into doping she won loads but died at the age of 40 ish. apparently she retired the same year as out of competition testing came about. Before that you could only be tested at events which as we know (dave millar etc..) is a piece of pi$$ to get around.

Early death for *CENSORED* abuse should be a big part of an essay on pro's and cons IMHO. Great is you're a winner but sucks if you earn loads of cahs from it and only get 5-10 yrs of enjoyment from it...

Doozer
jessi
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood doping is completly different to *CENSORED* taking in the sense that it does not introduce foreign bodies into your blood.

Baring this in mind, those who do not agree with blood doping, do you also disagree with training at altitude and using altitude beds/tents? All of these techniques have the exact same effect on an athletes blood - they increase the bloods viscosity therefore increasing the oxygen intake.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jessi wrote:
Blood doping is completly different to *CENSORED* taking in the sense that it does not introduce foreign bodies into your blood.

Baring this in mind, those who do not agree with blood doping, do you also disagree with training at altitude and using altitude beds/tents? All of these techniques have the exact same effect on an athletes blood - they increase the bloods viscosity therefore increasing the oxygen intake.

Enough to incur the risk of premature death as highlighted in the post above?
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: