Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - unibet out of giro

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

unibet out of giro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

who willl get there own way
uci
52%
 52%  [ 11 ]
organizers
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 21

willbushby
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: unibet out of giro Reply with quote

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/ProTour_team_Unibetcom_off_startlists_of_all_RCSorganised_races_article_109507.html

does anyone think this is going a bit far with all these disputes between the organizers and uci and the season and races are looming do you think there will be a souloution.

on a side note it would be goo to see if barloworld got to ride the giro
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the UCI should be alittle nervous of the lawsuit that will presumably be winging it's way from Unibet. Hardly a small financial commitment getting into the Pro-tour and the UCI have made guarentees about getting into races that they cannot keep.

I feel desperately sorry for Unibet who are clearly just a pawn in the game but the blame has to rest with the UCI for not getting the full backing of the biggest race organisers before launching the pro-tour. I'm amazed it made it this far.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Peurto this is going to run and run. I don't expect Unibet to ride the Giro. It will be interesting to see if any of the ProTour teams break ranks and refuse their invitiation.

Rabobank have an interesting decision to make. Clearly becuause of Friere they will tkae up their invite to ride Milan San Remo but I bet its tempting to forego the Giro as invited to do so because there is probably little commercial advantage.
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all stinks.

I blame the UCI, as surely to release something like teh Protour without the support of the major race organisers is foolish to say the least.

I personalyl believe that the Protour is the way forward...OK it needs work, but I am sure in most peoples heart of hearts they realise that to grow the sport...no for teh very continuation of sport, there needs to be a hierachy of teams and a defined 'elite' in cycling.

Sometimes I get the impression a lot ofm people would like to keep the sport in the dark ages, where it was controlled by a handful of people and 'anything' was possible.

I can't see why Unibet is being treated this way...Ok I understand the organisers arguments, but I can't believe these organisers, supposedly working for the good of the sport are willing to drive out a willing sponsor in this way, and forfit the jobs of so many people for nothing more than principle.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember what happened when the Tour said they were going to stop all ex-Festina riders coming to the event. Quick threat of a lawsuit from tricky dicky and they backed down. Wouldn't be surprised if it happens again.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just noticed that Blackburn are sponsored bu bet24 (but playing a german team in the UEFA cup). A number of other football clubs are sponsored on-line gambling so I guess we can expect the same punishment when such a club runs up against a French club in the near future. Wink
hed
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
I've just noticed that Blackburn are sponsored bu bet24 (but playing a german team in the UEFA cup). A number of other football clubs are sponsored on-line gambling so I guess we can expect the same punishment when such a club runs up against a French club in the near future. Wink

yes this does happen. i think there is a similar law for beer sponsors too.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hed wrote:
mho wrote:

yes this does happen. i think there is a similar law for beer sponsors too.
F1 teams have been doing it for years with cigarette sponsorship. The B&H sponsored Jordan team used to change their livery to Buzzing Hornets in certain countries. Ferrari used plain red and white removing all the Marlboro logos.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Arsenal a few seasons ago swapped between Sega and Dreamcast on their jerseys when playing in Italy, for ahem Embarassed , slighlty different reasons
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des, isn't sega a translation of something which would get censored on here by the language police. I believe the word may have commenced with a W and ended in R?

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
dockeca
Div 2 Pro

Location: halfway up the South Downs - or halfway down the South Ups!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I am with the UCI on this one, although they could have handled things better from a PR point of view. At the moment we have megaphone diplomacy and plenty of posturing, mainly by the Organisers< who want to be in control, and play their little political wild card games. The fact remains that teams spend a small fortune to get into the ProTour and have comitted to ride the races, therefore have the rightof entry to the major events. We could end up with two series, and threats of suspensions and other nonsense. The ego being displayed is huge . I jst hope that behind the scenes more sense is being displayed, as this nonsense does the sport no credit, and in the end everyone will lose as sponsors will not want to invest when their entry to the reces where maximum exposure is available could not be certain, which would lead to fewer teams, and less money in the races. If the organisers cannot see this, and will not compromise at least for a trial period of a couple of years, frankly they have their heads so far up their own rear that they should be ashamed. The ProTour is about spreading the sport into a worldwide show, and all the three organisers can think about is their own little European world, and fail to see the massive opportunities which could be just in the future.

"Any views expressed are entirely my own and not representative of any organisation of which I may or may not be a member. Unless I say otherwise."
"A Libertarian Crackpot" H.Peel
Des

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could apply the word sega t othe Race organisers Colin Wink
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb17news

OUT 4 SURE!

Wildcards
Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo (Ita)
Astana (Swi)
Ceramica Panaria-Navigare (Irl)
Tinkoff Credit Systems (Ita)
Rosbif
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voodoo wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/feb07/feb17news

OUT 4 SURE!

Wildcards
Acqua & Sapone-Caffè Mokambo (Ita)
Astana (Swi)
Ceramica Panaria-Navigare (Irl)
Tinkoff Credit Systems (Ita)

Fair enough Tinkoff and Astana, but not the other two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: