Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should BC object to the latest legacy plans?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should BC object to the latest legacy plans?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think BC should make formal objection to the Eastway Legacy Planning Application?
YES, BC SHOULD MAKE OBJECTION KNOWN
67%
 67%  [ 46 ]
NO, BC SHOULD NOT MAKE OBJECTION KNOWN
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
I WAS NOT A USER OF EASTWAY - DON'T HAVE A VIEW
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
I WAS A USER OF EASTWAY - DON'T HAVE A VIEW
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 68

Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely.

The stuff about the lack of any guaranteed view of the plans is widely echoed by all who've tried to read the whole thing. Plans weren't available in libraries, the website crashes your browser; if it's working at all; and the planning office won't send out CD-ROMs, though they don't tell you that.

This implacable machine of the Olympic planning needs resolute resistance on its radar, or it just keeps on rolling.

- Are other people worried where it's all going for London as a whole?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Precisely.

The stuff about the lack of any guaranteed view of the plans is widely echoed by all who've tried to read the whole thing. Plans weren't available in libraries, the website crashes your browser; if it's working at all; and the planning office won't send out CD-ROMs, though they don't tell you that.

This implacable machine of the Olympic planning needs resolute resistance on its radar, or it just keeps on rolling.

No. Looking forward to riding on the new velodrome, on hog hill, the new eastway circuit and the new eastway access road circuit.

If I get bored of that I can go and play on Herne Hill, Hillingdon, or the Surrey RRL events, or go off-roading at Penshurst.

My nearest track is 60 miles away, my nearest road circuit is probably 2 hours away minimum, or an hour if I go to Lincoln Spots Centre.

Quit whining

I'm a qualified coach.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't seem to be very public-spirited Hans. There are wider implications of what's been going on and there are very definite detrimental effects on our sport.
It's not whining to do something about that.

The words are certainly backed by research, actions and a willingness for more. Fair enough if nothing had been done by the 'whiners' and nothing had been achieved for the sport, but as you say, you're looking forwards to riding on Hog Hill and you're looking forwards to the legacy circuit - neither of which would be there for you without the 'whining'.

Same goes for Herne Hill, Surrey RRL and as for Mike at Penshurst well he's had all kinds of battles with authority for your riding pleasure.

So just you keep on turning up at events and paying for your ride. Leave others to sort it all out for you...
Ridley
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:

Not really.... exciting times ahead for you lot TdF 2007 Olympics 2012 bet you can't believe your luck
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
You don't seem to be very public-spirited Hans. There are wider implications of what's been going on and there are very definite detrimental effects on our sport.
It's not whining to do something about that.

The words are certainly backed by research, actions and a willingness for more. Fair enough if nothing had been done by the 'whiners' and nothing had been achieved for the sport, but as you say, you're looking forwards to riding on Hog Hill and you're looking forwards to the legacy circuit - neither of which would be there for you without the 'whining'.

Same goes for Herne Hill, Surrey RRL and as for Mike at Penshurst well he's had all kinds of battles with authority for your riding pleasure.

So just you keep on turning up at events and paying for your ride. Leave others to sort it all out for you...

I am. Thanks to Brian Cookson and his team, they do a wonderful job across the country

I'm a qualified coach.
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hans Datdodishes"]

I am. Thanks to Brian Cookson and his team, they do a wonderful job across the country[/quote]

How come Brian doesn't want to answer the questions relating to the users of eastway?

Olympics and the tour are fantastic, can't wait.
Except Eastway's gone, I won't be able to do Beastway and the road circuit is going to be flanking the A12. and puh-lease don't use Hog Hill again, the funding isn't guarenteed.
My national body is pretty much asking me to trust them to sort it out as they have done all along, but their track record over Eastway has been pretty dire.
Have absolutely no confidence in them in this regard. The EUG on the other hand..... for the users by the users.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldncycle wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

I am. Thanks to Brian Cookson and his team, they do a wonderful job across the country

How come Brian doesn't want to answer the questions relating to the users of eastway?

Olympics and the tour are fantastic, can't wait.
Except Eastway's gone, I won't be able to do Beastway and the road circuit is going to be flanking the A12. and puh-lease don't use Hog Hill again, the funding isn't guarenteed.
My national body is pretty much asking me to trust them to sort it out as they have done all along, but their track record over Eastway has been pretty dire.
Have absolutely no confidence in them in this regard. The EUG on the other hand..... for the users by the users.

Why should Brian answer your questions on an open forum. Why do you continue to harrass him? Are you the only group of cyclists BC has to deal with? What makes you more or less important than any other group of cyclists?

Users might be the operative word. Rolling Eyes
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:

Why should Brian answer your questions on an open forum. Why do you continue to harrass him? Are you the only group of cyclists BC has to deal with? What makes you more or less important than any other group of cyclists?

Users might be the operative word. :roll:

Very witty.
Well, probably because he uses the forum?
And no, we're not the only group BC has to deal with, just a shame BC has been found so wanting when dealing with Eastway.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the toughest question to answer:

"What's your one thing that BC has done for Eastway's riders since 2003?"

though it is true there is a list of things which have been done by users that they could reasonably have expected to share with BC as common interest.

Users would just like to know what BC has done to give some substance to the claims being made in statutory procedures to be representing the community which used Eastway for so many years.

If BC has done things to represent the interests of users it should be absolutely no problem for Brian to make fulsome answer - do you agree KJ?

If, on the other hand BC has done nothing to represent the interests of users, it should resist the temptation to pass itself off as the body which does represent them in the planning procedures. That's all.
Ridley
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
It's not the toughest question to answer:

"What's your one thing that BC has done for Eastway's riders since 2003?"

though it is true there is a list of things which have been done by users that they could reasonably have expected to share with BC as common interest.

Users would just like to know what BC has done to give some substance to the claims being made in statutory procedures to be representing the community which used Eastway for so many years.

If BC has done things to represent the interests of users it should be absolutely no problem for Brian to make fulsome answer - do you agree KJ?

If, on the other hand BC has done nothing to represent the interests of users, it should resist the temptation to pass itself off as the body which does represent them in the planning procedures. That's all.

Are the TLI taking up this issue with the ODA ?
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to ask TLI. It's public knowledge that TLI has been making its own arrangements and getting on fine. For instance;-
http://www.londoncyclesport.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/1/UTN/294/V/6/SP/ (8th posting)

Plus there seems to be something brewing for TLI at North Weald - all done on their own initiative and expense, nothing to do with EUG which exlicitly states it is independent of such organisations.

You could try a web search, like I just did and came up with
http://www.theleagueinternational.com/londonhomecounties.htm

Proactive and positive contributions most welcome, particularly for racers who are presently without any replacement facility for BC events.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get my personal views on the circuit lodged before the deadline yesterday, thanks to the London guys for spurring me on to make the effort

I'm a qualified coach.
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all those who have posted supportive messages. It is encouraging that BC's position on this matter is quite clearly understood by most of those people who have taken the time to read the statements and think about the matter. It is also clear that most people find the approach of Plurien counter-productive. Maybe there's a message in there for you Michael.

Oh and of course I'm not going to answer your silly "question" Michael. You know very well that whatever I say, you will follow it with a 3,000 word rant explaining why what I say is nothing to do with BC, or not relevant to the matter, or only happened because EUG or some other body, or you personally, or someone you read about on the internet, or a bloke you once waved to, did something that was nothing to do with BC. I wasn't born yesterday.

Give it a rest now and let's all get on, in the way we each feel best, with the business of ensuring that we do actually get the legacy facilities that we all want, preferably without the abuse.

Brian.
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
John - it is quite clear in the current and previous statements that BC does not consider the plans to be acceptable and that we are continuing to work towards a better plan by the use of a different strategy from that which you support. The legal and professional advice that we have received is clear that we are most likely to achieve the result that you, we and others would like to see, i.e. a bigger, better legacy of cycling facilities, by adopting this strategy.

I have lost count of how many times I have repeated this. I can only conclude that you do not wish to understand. That is your choice. Your "question" is nonsensical, since we, like you, do not accept that the revised plans are an appropriate replacement for the old and have said so.

I don't expect to change your mind since it is clearly made up.

Goodnight.

Brian.

Brian

If the legal advice was clear, may I ask what the reasoning was that not to object would get a better result?

It does go against the professional advice that I have received, the opinions of those polled here and (dare I say!) common sense. That is what the planning procedure is for.

There does need to be some explanation. It does seem to be a bit of a cock-eyed strategy?!
Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnC wrote:

It does go against the professional advice that I have received

Really? I'm surprised at that for a number of reasons.

Post the instructions to counsel and opinion received for us all to see then. It might make things clearer if you have solid opinion in favour of your point of view.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Post the instructions to counsel and opinion received for us all to see then. It might make things clearer if you have solid opinion in favour of your point of view.

Trev, as your firm used to work for the Crown Estate, and as I've dealt with them many times in the past, I think we can both agree that theres a lot of non-factual b0llocks being posted by some people on here.

I'm a qualified coach.
Trevor Reade
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Trevor Reade wrote:
JohnC wrote:

Trev, as your firm used to work for the Crown Estate, and as I've dealt with them many times in the past, I think we can both agree that theres a lot of non-factual b0llocks being posted by some people on here.

I think the picture has become a little muddled to say the least!

But what do we know about property law, planning, landlord & tenant and all the rest of that sort of thing?
JohnC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:
JohnC wrote:

What reasons?
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian
Sitting at the top of this 'rant' is a poll. Ok it's not a truly objective measure, but there's been consistently around the ten percent mark in agreement with the policy adopted by BC not to object. I'm not sure if you're thanking the ten percent who are supportive as a 'persecuted minority' or the abstainers or the ones who are supportive of the idea of doing something - this one thing at this most important time - in favour of Eastway's riders.

The 'silly "question"' you've been unable to answer was simply a request to give one thing that BC has done for Eastway's riders since 2003 - Or you would have been on it pretty quick and quite right too.

Face up to it Brian, this has not been BCs finest hour. You're left with a bunch of members who want to see you join them for the strength and unity of purpose. You must see that cycle sport needs to secure the step on from Hog Hill which had to be secured by riders entirely without support from BC. You can do oppose and it won't compromise your relationship with the ODA - even the most informed opponents of the tactics in this thread agree on that.

Lastly, read back through the postings and see who's been abusive. Abuse is not to be confused with debating points and information. Like I said, when you're going for the man, you're really not getting to the argument.

....and there I think we will have to leave it.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Brian
Sitting at the top of this 'rant' is a poll. Ok it's not a truly objective measure, but there's been consistently around the ten percent mark in agreement with the policy adopted by BC not to object. I'm not sure if you're thanking the ten percent who are supportive as a 'persecuted minority' or the abstainers or the ones who are supportive of the idea of doing something - this one thing at this most important time - in favour of Eastway's riders.

The 'silly "question"' you've been unable to answer was simply a request to give one thing that BC has done for Eastway's riders since 2003 - Or you would have been on it pretty quick and quite right too.

Face up to it Brian, this has not been BCs finest hour. You're left with a bunch of members who want to see you join them for the strength and unity of purpose. You must see that cycle sport needs to secure the step on from Hog Hill which had to be secured by riders entirely without support from BC. You can do oppose and it won't compromise your relationship with the ODA - even the most informed opponents of the tactics in this thread agree on that.

Lastly, read back through the postings and see who's been abusive. Abuse is not to be confused with debating points and information. Like I said, when you're going for the man, you're really not getting to the argument.

....and there I think we will have to leave it.

JohnC, mostly

I'm a qualified coach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: