Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BC Mission Statement

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BC Mission Statement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should BC have a mission statement?
YES
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
NO
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Not bothered
52%
 52%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 46

Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good idea to have a mission statement, as it sets everyone on the same path to what is trying to be achieved.

I never realised BC didn't have one, but it would probably not make any mention of medals, as that is the department of the WCPP, who should also have one IMHO.

So, next question:

What should BC's mission statement be?

Maybe we can save them £10k, which could be used to promote and aid (financially) the Premier Calendar events?
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. The BCF’s objects are :
(a) to encourage, promote, develop and control the sport and pastime of cycling in all its forms amongst all sections of the community in Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands;

slightly off-topic I know but did anyone else notice that an international stage race started on Jersey yesterday (Ruban Granitier in old currency)? Did BC have anything to do with this? Haven't seen any publicity anywhere. No brit teams either, seems a pity - I think recycling have ridden (well) there in the past...

Not a pop at BC, they have improved immeasurably sice I've been a cyclist (tho' obviously they are not beyond criticism).

Mission statements can be worthwhile if they can be translated into meaningful objectives for the people working within an organistion. If, as others have noted, it's words from management consultants Twisted Evil then it is indeed a waste of time.

Something along the lines of increasing competitive cycling probably isn't broad enough these days (witness the growth in sportives - love 'em or loathe 'em) and in practical terms it probably makes sense to try and tie anything to the health agenda (and poss congestion and/or climate change) if help/buy-in from HMG is to be forthcoming...
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
It is a good idea to have a mission statement, as it sets everyone on the same path to what is trying to be achieved.

I never realised BC didn't have one, but it would probably not make any mention of medals, as that is the department of the WCPP, who should also have one IMHO.

So, next question:

Maybe we can save them £10k, which could be used to promote and aid (financially) the Premier Calendar events?
gary, please say you are joking, i used to like you. mission statements are crap and the only people who remember them or care about them are middle managers. i have experienced companies at both the bottom and the top. the general workers don't care about the mission statement - all they want is to be paid at the end of the week - and the board probably don't even know what it is - all they want is to please the stock exchange.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosschops wrote:
Gary K wrote:

So, next question:

gary, please say you are joking, i used to like you. mission statements are crap and the only people who remember them or care about them are middle managers. i have experienced companies at both the bottom and the top. the general workers don't care about the mission statement - all they want is to be paid at the end of the week - and the board probably don't even know what it is - all they want is to please the stock exchange.

Joking - Not at all, they don't have to just be strap lines, they should be meaningful. Where you work they may mean nothing, but that is a reflection on the poor management environment and personnel, IMHO. (Please say you are one of the managers, please Laughing Laughing Wink )

Aims and objectives should also come as part of the management/organisational plan.

I hear what you are saying about the people who may or may not care about mission statements et al, but it is a fairly narrow minded view of industry and organisations if you believe that no-one is interested or aims to work towards the mission.

We have one in the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering where I work and command a section, and it is a term of reference for everything we do, as well as a standard to set ourselves to achieve. Aims and objectives are borne out of this in our standing orders, as well as meaningful job spec's and methodology of the way we deliver training.

Every person who works in our organisation is accountable to these laid down standards and terms, and reports are written accordingly. Without them it would be a free for all with no common standards and no common aims, which in managerial terms is a recipe for disaster at worst and disorganisation (and losing money) at best.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor Reade wrote:
Quote:
3. The BCF’s objects are :
(a) to encourage, promote, develop and control the sport and pastime of cycling in all its forms amongst all sections of the community in Great Britain, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands;
(b) to support and protect the interests of their members, by all such lawful means as the National Council of the BCF may from time to time think fit;
(c) to represent in the Congress of the Union Cycliste Internationale the BCF and cycling associations of such members of Commonwealth Associations as are not directly affiliated to that organisation and
(d) to issue licences for the purposes of international cycle racing to BCF Members and the individual members of Commonwealth Associations.

Not quite a mission statement but a pretty clear set of objectives.

I fully expect several pages of postings about Eastway to follow now...

Trevor are you sure BC don't have a mission statement?
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
mosschops wrote:
Gary K wrote:

So, next question:

Joking - Not at all, they don't have to just be strap lines, they should be meaningful. Where you work they may mean nothing, but that is a reflection on the poor management environment and personnel, IMHO. (Please say you are one of the managers, please Laughing Laughing Wink )

Aims and objectives should also come as part of the management/organisational plan.

I hear what you are saying about the people who may or may not care about mission statements et al, but it is a fairly narrow minded view of industry and organisations if you believe that no-one is interested or aims to work towards the mission.

We have one in the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering where I work and command a section, and it is a term of reference for everything we do, as well as a standard to set ourselves to achieve. Aims and objectives are borne out of this in our standing orders, as well as meaningful job spec's and methodology of the way we deliver training.

Every person who works in our organisation is accountable to these laid down standards and terms, and reports are written accordingly. Without them it would be a free for all with no common standards and no common aims, which in managerial terms is a recipe for disaster at worst and disorganisation (and losing money) at best.

sounds like jargon to me Shocked

i've thought of having my own slogan 'stretch armstrong, cutting through the bullsh!t' but as I'm one of the biggest bullsh!ters around I thought it would be a bit hypocritical,

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey careful Gary, more paranoid people may wonder what your agenda is!!

Seriously though, think you are right, mission statements should be meaningful, if they are not then they were probably not thought out properly and are more PR-have to be done type of thing.
If they are meaningful and employees don't give a toss, then, well, more than likely reflects on those particular employees.

And the mission statement is the measure and principle by which you judge success and direction of an organisation. The guiding principles if you like.

Anyone want to start? tough one.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Depends how you see yourself and your position in an organisation. If you only care about the pay packet at the end of the day (using the ideology quoted above), then it usually indicates that absolutely nothing means anything to you as regards your work standards or ethics.

If you actually care about what you do and what you produce, then it all becomes a lot less benign. If you make mistakes along the way, albeit with the best intentions of achieving the mission, then so be it, but it won't be from the lack of preparation or from the lack of trying, so it is still worthwhile.

What about:

"To promote and develop cycling activities in the UK"

And FYI, the Ruben Granitier (spelling?) has also started on the UK mainland in the past, down on the tank test track at Bovington in about 2001 or 2002 if I remember correctly. The Army CU and other local clubs/teams were invited to do the opening TT (going off before the main field) to foster relations with the French set up, who had links with one of the towns down that way.
stretch armstrong
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
Quote:

Depends how you see yourself and your position in an organisation. If you only care about the pay packet at the end of the day (using the ideology quoted above), then it usually indicates that absolutely nothing means anything to you as regards your work standards or ethics.

If you actually care about what you do and what you produce, then it all becomes a lot less benign. If you make mistakes along the way, albeit with the best intentions of achieving the mission, then so be it, but it won't be from the lack of preparation or from the lack of trying, so it is still worthwhile.

What about:

And FYI, the Ruben Granitier (spelling?) has also started on the UK mainland in the past, down on the tank test track at Bovington in about 2001 or 2002 if I remember correctly. The Army CU and other local clubs/teams were invited to do the opening TT (going off before the main field) to foster relations with the French set up, who had links with one of the towns down that way.

thanks for confirming Cool

Putting the dross back in Clay Cross (RT)
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary K wrote:
Quote:

What about:

mission statement of the bloody obvious
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only to us cyclists who already partially understand what BC are about, but the mission statement should be understood by the corporate environment, not just those already in the know.

No-one said it had to be complicated and hard to understand. Thought someone said to avoid PR jargon? KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Aims and objectives come next, but they seem to be written down already.

You do better................... Exclamation
mosschops

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasn't having a go at you gary, but the statement thing in general. it is just obvious what british cycling do. they don't need a business-haiku to hang their hat on.

it is like if people don't have this silly sentence in their heads then the company will cease to function.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosschops wrote:
i wasn't having a go at you gary, but the statement thing in general. it is just obvious what british cycling do. they don't need a business-haiku to hang their hat on.

it is like if people don't have this silly sentence in their heads then the company will cease to function.

No worries, I never thought you were having a go.

I see what you are saying and that is a reasonable reason not to have one, but on balance, IMHO, for a professional organisation like BC, it would be better to have one than not to have one.

Ask one of your work mates who is not a cyclist what he thinks BC do. That would give you an indication of how obvious (or not) it is to the general public.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure BC doesn't have a mission statement? You are all taking Pluriens statement as fact.
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you should do your research, just like we could have taken it as fact that plannning application had been submitted for Royal Docks in December just because it had been written on the LDA (and BC's, but I suspect that was because the LDA told them it had been) website.

By the way, still can't find that planning application at Newham.... Have a feeling it was never submitted, but not taking that at fact either, still trying to find out.
Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosschops wrote:
mission statements are a load of crap really. just an excuse for a PR company to earn £10,000 for putting together a collection of words which don't really make any sense.

I didn't read any further than your post, Mosschops, but your statement sums up the whole Mission Statement Bol0x to me.
Mission Statements are right up there with 'Investors In People' and all the rest of the sh1te initiatives which suggest that employers treat their workers as human beings.
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
mosschops wrote:
mission statements are a load of crap really. just an excuse for a PR company to earn £10,000 for putting together a collection of words which don't really make any sense.

I didn't read any further than your post, Mosschops, but your statement sums up the whole Mission Statement Bol0x to me.
Mission Statements are right up there with 'Investors In People' and all the rest of the sh1te initiatives which suggest that employers treat their workers as human beings.

If you are a good manager, then they can become part and parcel of the make up of the organisation. If you don't give a to$$, nothing will make an impact on you, so nothing is worthwhile attempting.

It all depends which camp you are prepared to set your tent up in!
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper mission-statement/objects can be a good tool to examine projects and proposals against. A lot of public-sector organisations have to head-up papers with a quick precis of how it furthers one or more of their objectives.

At the very least, it means someone has to think about that...
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Are you sure BC doesn't have a mission statement? You are all taking Pluriens statement as fact.

Not really - besides, if you know of a mission-statement, then please do feel free to enlighten us!
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/bcf/uk_wide_1_stop_plan.asp

No mission statement however.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: