Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BC Mission Statement

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BC Mission Statement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should BC have a mission statement?
YES
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
NO
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Not bothered
52%
 52%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 46

Tony Bell
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say it again - Mission Statements are a load of HR-related sh1te and b0llox, whether they come from BC or BP. End of.
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looking at other cycling organisations:

CTC
Short and snappy.
Quote:
Representing and campaigning for cyclists' rights.

IMBA
Nice and long... actually found this one in a UCI document...
Quote:
The mission of IMBA is to promote environmentally sound and responsible mountain biking.

IMBA believes that mountain biking is on the way to becoming a major activity on the network of trails world-wide. It is essential that the mountain biking community should be represented at all management levels in natural parks with facilities for leisure activities.

Furthermore, the IMBA believes that as mountain biking continues to increase its standing as an open air activity, close to nature and as a means of transport it will be increasingly welcomed by everyone concerned about the environment.

To deserve this confidence mountain bikers must take account of the environment and other trail users. The cycle industry should highlight this attitude and publicise it in their advertising.

IMBA recommends responsible practices and strongly advocates a policy of protection. IMBA also encourages cooperation with other trail users.

UCI
Seems more like a list of objectives to me!
Quote:
The aims of the UCI are as follows:

• regulating cycling at international level;
  • promoting cycling in every country throughout the world and at all levels;
  • organizing the World Championships for all disciplines;
  • encouraging friendly relations between members of the cycling family;
  • promoting sporting ethics and fair play;
  • representing the sport of cycling and defending its interests on national and international bodies;
  • collaborating with the International Olympic Committee with respect to Olympic cycling events.

Our mission states that the UCI means to develop and promote all aspects of cycling. This is because cycling is more than just a competitive sport. It is also a leisure activity and an environmentally friendly means of transport.
mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is just nonsense language. along with concepts and words such as "team", "goal", "target", etc. it tends to de-humanise business and turn it into some kind of war - which is what it is resembling more and more these days. i wonder how long it is until the tesco chairman seizes power and we become a tescopocy?
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mere existence of a mission statement speaks volumes about the values of an organisation - often more than the words in it.

I'm with the majority view here; they're a PR exercise gone wrong.

Anyway, why would BC want one? What does it achieve? As Trevor has already pointed out above, there is already a clear set of objectives built into BCs articles.

As with all these thinly veiled anti-BC rants (what were you expecting the answers to be? - "The mission of BC is to tread all over the EUG and do everything possible to promote track cycling at the expense road"?), the thing you have to ask yourself is what are these posts achieving. If you genuinely think that they are gaining you support and furthering your cause then fair enough; in practice though, I suspect that they do the exact opposite.

As I've said before - I think it's great that you are showing such passion for your particular niche of the sport, but my advice is that you would do better to focus your ire in a way that is likely to achieve something positive. It is quite spectacular just how much apathy, or even outright hostility, to the EUG this constant stream of posts has generated; especially given the starting point several months ago when everyone was behind you.
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony Bell wrote:
I will say it again - Mission Statements are a load of HR-related sh1te and b0llox, whether they come from BC or BP. End of.

Maybe it relates to your statement not appearing to have a mission
Killer C
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue of the mission statement is really are the objectives of British Cycling clear, understood and supported by its members? BC is in effect (through the democratic process) its members.

The objectives that were quoted above were the first time I had seen them.

I have often wondered what the scope and remit of British Cycling is. Does it include campaigning for cyclists rights on the road? If it is, it is failing miserably in that respect.

I would like to see a clear set of goals with the measures it is taking to achieve them. Perhaps someone will now point them out to me, but if they exist they should be better communicated.

BC does some things really well. It is a world leader, but other things that I think they should be doing they don't do or don't do very well.

Gary K's view of mission statements is true. They don't need to be some trite strapline ("Delighting our customers" - well just give your products away). The best ones are written by the organisation themselves in conjunction with the workers.
ldncycle
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="George Gilbert"]As I've said before - I think it's great that you are showing such passion for your particular ni che of the sport, but my advice is that you would do better to focus your ire in a way that is likely to achieve something positive. [/quote]

ummm, ni che? Mountain biking, road, timetrialling - ni che?
So that leaves bmx, track and cyclespeedway. oh yes, touring, commuting. The London cycle campaign endorses the EUG so I guess that covers commuting to.

Anyway, mission statement. So I guess you are not keen on a mission statement then?
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldncycle wrote:
George Gilbert wrote:
As I've said before - I think it's great that you are showing such passion for your particular niche of the sport, but my advice is that you would do better to focus your ire in a way that is likely to achieve something positive.

ummm, niche? Mountain biking, road, timetrialling - niche?
So that leaves bmx, track and cyclespeedway. oh yes, touring, commuting. The London cycle campaign endorses the EUG so I guess that covers commuting to.

Yes, niche.

I don't think you're truly saying that the EUG represents the whole of road, MTB, timetrialling and commuting in the entire country are you? Or are you?

The use of Eastway was by a tiny tiny tiny minority of all cyclists (of the order of a thousand compared with tens of millions). It may be important to you, it may even be important to all the people you know, but if you step back and see the bigger picture, then you'll notice that Eastway only catered for a niche part of the community.

The EUG is portraying itself like all NIMBY groups. Incessently ranting and raving about something that will only affect those people in the area to the point where nobody else cares anymore. If that is your intention, then fine - I'm just pointing out that you should be considering what all these posts are actually achieving; in particular whether they are doing more harm than good.

As I said, I think it's great that you are so passionate about your part in the grand scheme of things. You need to appreciate though that the way in which you go about showing that passion has alienated many people - a quite extraordinary achievement given the initial unanimous support for better cycling facilities there was when all this started.

ldncycle wrote:
Anyway, mission statement. So I guess you are not keen on a mission statement then?

About as keen as having a corporate song. I'm sure some people will be able to suggest something apt though... Rolling Eyes Wink
varno
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldncycle wrote:
George Gilbert wrote:
As I've said before - I think it's great that you are showing such passion for your particular ni che of the sport, but my advice is that you would do better to focus your ire in a way that is likely to achieve something positive.

ummm, ni che? Mountain biking, road, timetrialling - ni che?

Did someone mention cycle speedway ah.......... happy days!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=182745114790&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjCZGQ3rMG0
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
The EUG is portraying itself like all NIMBY groups. Incessently ranting and raving about something that will only affect those people in the area to the point where nobody else cares anymore. If that is your intention, then fine - I'm just pointing out that you should be considering what all these posts are actually achieving; in particular whether they are doing more harm than good.

I'm a qualified coach.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny that you all know I'm right, but you've all backed yourself into a corner that you feel you must posture your way out of Laughing
I hope none of you have proper jobs

I'm a qualified coach.
elaina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking for a list of BC Objectives ?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elaina wrote:

Trevs already posted them that, but they chose to overlook it

I'm a qualified coach.
elaina

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
elaina wrote:

Trevs already posted them that, but they chose to overlook it

Oh ok - i didn't read all the thread.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Hans reads all the threads and now hes got the needle

Yes, this is really stressing me out. I don't know how I cope

I'm a qualified coach.
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Objectives and a mission statement are different. I agree many mission statements are far too woolly for their own good.

To me a mission statement is what you aspire to be, objectives are what you do: they are different in my opinion.

BC strapline seems to be: The internationally recognised governing body of cycling in Great Britain.
It's kind of a mission statement, except that they're saying they they are that, not that they want to be that, so it doesn't really work.

Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Its funny that you all know I'm right, but you've all backed yourself into a corner that you feel you must posture your way out of Laughing
I hope none of you have proper jobs

And all that from a proper idiot

Sticks and stones, sticks and stones. If you fancy doing a sensible response to counter my argument that the South East region will be better off, feel free. If you want to carry on with the idiot comments, again, feel free, it just sums up what the EUG are now saddled with.

I'm a qualified coach.
Des

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eastway is Eastern region Timothy.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Eastway is Eastern region Timothy.

Delete South East and put Eastern in then, point still the same

I'm a qualified coach.
Des

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No because London cyclists especially in inner London, will as a whole be worse off. Even more so if the Herne Hills long term future is not settled, as the lease expires next year.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: