Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - BC Mission Statement

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

BC Mission Statement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should BC have a mission statement?
YES
30%
 30%  [ 14 ]
NO
17%
 17%  [ 8 ]
Not bothered
52%
 52%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 46

david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
Plurien wrote:
I do recall the first meeting after that in December 2003 with London 2012 where EDAW said they'd been told by BC that no replacement of Eastway would be needed once there was a velodrome. - This is all perfectly true.

Michael - I have kept out of this nonsense because I'm sick of your misinformation and misrepresentation of the BC position, and it appears that most people have the same view. However I can't allow you to repeat this statement unchallenged.

If an employee of EDAW said this then they were mistaken. Please provide evidence of who from EDAW said this, on what occasion and on what they based this information, including evidence of where it was said or written by a BC person or in a BC document and by whom.

If you can't, I suggest you withdraw this statement and don't repeat it again.

Brian.

PS If you have views about how BC should be run, all you need to do is go to a meeting of your region as a club representative and start making your views known and discussing them with others, then you can get yourself elected as a national councillor and try and persuade the delegates from other regions that your ideas are sensible. It's as simple as that.

"and it appears most people have the same view", are you referring to the 1084 people who signed our petition at Herne hill on Good Friday between 10:20 am and 7:30pm or are you referring to the twelve who wouldnt.Two men and one baby and she was not on form,his wife joined us in the late afternoon,were the team that day.I have never done a petition before so I was aphrensive.We had a 99 per cent approval ratingon those we canvassed,we only managed the full bend at the gate end up to and including the stand.To have people at times waiting to sign and using four boards at the same time was pretty special.With 8-10 people we would have had 3500 signatures.I got up at eight that morning ,broke my wang working and the natural buzz had me up till 3am.

I have heard in various ports that we are anti veledrome but that is an imposibility based on the knowledge of the punters at HH on GF and also on my belief,one shared with every one I have met in EUG and its environs,that all cycling is good cycling and should be hollered from the mountain tops ,right now its my"it could be you moment"lottery ticket thats important ,chow

Last edited by david123 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
mosschops

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Brian Cookson wrote:
Plurien wrote:
I do recall the first meeting after that in December 2003 with London 2012 where EDAW said they'd been told by BC that no replacement of Eastway would be needed once there was a velodrome. - This is all perfectly true.

Michael - I have kept out of this nonsense because I'm sick of your misinformation and misrepresentation of the BC position, and it appears that most people have the same view. However I can't allow you to repeat this statement unchallenged.

If an employee of EDAW said this then they were mistaken. Please provide evidence of who from EDAW said this, on what occasion and on what they based this information, including evidence of where it was said or written by a BC person or in a BC document and by whom.

Brian.

PS If you have views about how BC should be run, all you need to do is go to a meeting of your region as a club representative and start making your views known and discussing them with others, then you can get yourself elected as a national councillor and try and persuade the delegates from other regions that your ideas are sensible. It's as simple as that.

"and it appears most people have the same view", are you referring to the 1084 people who signed our petition at Herne hill on Good Friday between 10:20 am and 7:30pm or are you referring to the twelve who wouldnt.Two men and one baby and she was not on form,his wife joined us in the late afternoon.I have never done a petition before so I was aphrensive.We had a 99 per cent approval ratingon those we canvassed,we only managed the full bend at the gate end up to and including the stand.To have people at times waiting to sign and using four boards at the same time was pretty special.With 8-10 people we would have had 3500 signatures.I got up at eight that morning ,broke my wang working and the natural buzz had me up till 3am.

I have heard in various ports that we are anti veledrome but that is an imposibility based on the knowledge of the punters at HH on GF and also on my belief,one shared with every one I have met in EUG and its environs,that all cycling is good cycling and should be hollered from the mountain tops ,right now its my"it could be you moment"lottery ticket thats important ,chow
take your petition onto the streets of london and see what your approval rating is then,
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David - I am sure you are a very nice person really, but I'm not going to engage in dialogue with a person who posts the silly, moronic, and unfunny posts that you have made your very own signature style.

Have a nice life.

Brian.
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Brian Cookson wrote:
Plurien wrote:

Brian.

"and it appears most people have the same view", are you referring to the 1084 people who signed our petition at Herne hill on Good Friday between 10:20 am and 7:30pm or are you referring to the twelve who wouldnt.Two men and one baby and she was not on form,his wife joined us in the late afternoon,were the team that day.I have never done a petition before so I was aphrensive.We had a 99 per cent approval ratingon those we canvassed,we only managed the full bend at the gate end up to and including the stand.To have people at times waiting to sign and using four boards at the same time was pretty special.With 8-10 people we would have had 3500 signatures.I got up at eight that morning ,broke my wang working and the natural buzz had me up till 3am.

It must have been your communicational skills which got you all the signatures.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
George Gilbert
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien wrote:
Well George, I don't suppose you will agree, but we do campaign positively and we have achieved a lot - especially this week.

You don't get to hear about most of the stuff we do for our sport (quite apart in my case from running the family team and promoting a few races here and there) so it's possibly true that you only get to hear the bad stuff - especially if you're not a member of the EUG.

Well perhaps therein lies the problem.

As a reader of this forum the only information we get to read about the EUG is that posted by members of the EUG. Those posts are ones full of vitreolic anti-BC rants. Is it therefore a surprise that people get that view of what the EUG does?

The issue is that the members of the EUG post such huge volumes of messages here that all repeat roughly the same information over and over and over again. As such, people just switch off when reading them; the only bits that people remember are the bits that stand out - for example each and every time someone accuses Brian of being corrupt, questions his parentage and all the other personal attacks that are made.

How about this for an idea.

Between you all, why not just make one (Eastway related) post a week. In it put down a summary (a paragraph or two) of all the things that the EUG have done that week, and a brief summary of what you're planning to do next week. Critically, don't repeat anything - everything you post should be new - that way people will read it and stand a chance of being interested. Remember that you're preaching to the converted on this forum; we all know that 20ha is less than 30ha and a twisty course is more interesting to ride than a straight one - you don't need to repeatedly tell us that it would be better for cycling if there were more facilities.

Equally critically, don't put down anything that was or wasn't done by others (unless it's a genuinely positive thing and you're giving credit where it's due). Tell us what things you're doing.

You could even make an archive of all your posts somewhere else and link to it at the bottom of each new post you make - that way new people can come and read the backgroud and get up to speed - but without drowning out your new information for the "regular" readers. You could even go the whole hog and use it as a way of recruiting support ("I'm doing such and such this week, if anybody wants to help with this and that particular part of it, let me know").

Does that seem reasonable?
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Adam wrote:
david123 wrote:
Brian Cookson wrote:
Plurien wrote:

Brian.

It must have been your communicational skills which got you all the signatures.

And my mathematical skills which counted them,I think you think I might worry about what you think of me, je ne toss pa vous

I've used mine too.

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=53342

Quote:
Eastway & Olympic legacy shenanigans, do you care?
yes 30% [ 22 ]
no 16% [ 12 ]
i would be more sympathetic if it wasn't being rammed down my throat everyday.
53% [ 39 ]

Touché.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Gilbert wrote:
How about this for an idea.

Between you all, why not just make one (Eastway related) post a week. In it put down a summary (a paragraph or two) of all the things that the EUG have done that week, and a brief summary of what you're planning to do next week. Critically, don't repeat anything - everything you post should be new - that way people will read it and stand a chance of being interested. Remember that you're preaching to the converted on this forum; we all know that 20ha is less than 30ha and a twisty course is more interesting to ride than a straight one - you don't need to repeatedly tell us that it would be better for cycling if there were more facilities.

Equally critically, don't put down anything that was or wasn't done by others (unless it's a genuinely positive thing and you're giving credit where it's due). Tell us what things you're doing.

You could even make an archive of all your posts somewhere else and link to it at the bottom of each new post you make - that way new people can come and read the backgroud and get up to speed - but without drowning out your new information for the "regular" readers. You could even go the whole hog and use it as a way of recruiting support ("I'm doing such and such this week, if anybody wants to help with this and that particular part of it, let me know").

Does that seem reasonable?

Hear hear! This is an excellent suggestion.

(I thought this thread was supposed to be about mission-statements?)
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david123 wrote:
Hello Brian [...] Have a nice life

David - how do you manage to be so creative and original?
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite easy really ,you just get inside someone elses veladrome and go round and round till you repeat something that was apparently,never said in the first place

So anyway I read a post marked in time as 6:25 pm,its directly above this one and I took the name at the begining and the one at the end ,which coincidently is the same as mine and switched them around ,then I posted it .

It looks like we have very strict copyright laws here or more plausibly if they/it dont want to offend you they let you say what you like but although you can hand it out you may not receive so well so the return shot,although identical in every way except for the name at the begining and end.
Plurien
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian - This thread is supposed to be about the mission statement that BC doesn't have. I didn't make it over to Eastway's loss.

The meeting you want info about was in the London 2012 offi ces on about 7th Dec 2003, around a month before we met at Sport England with you. We were surprised to find a person from BC there, as we had made the meeting with London 2012 and EDAW. BC was resistant, taking the line that a velodrome had been agreed in 'pre-build' and that we should be satisfied, but we were given a hearing
The EDAW person was DW and the BC person was DC. DC spent some time discussing options with DW once it became apparent that the Eastway users present - including Knocker, Neil Simpson - were not prepared to be left without a circuit. There was no need for a purpose-built circuit, said DC, if a suitable service road could be found. He lit upon one in particular, saying it could be made suitable by use of barrel turns. He also brushed aside our concerns for continuity during the construction.
At that point we insisted and DW was more than happy to let us draw out a likely road circuit in the space he had left in the certain knowledge that a circuit would be needed. This was how the 'snake' layout used thereafter came to be, since it offered a way of not sending riders around facilities such as hockey pitches that were already in the plan.
As was later agreed between us at the Sport England meeting;-
"The representatives agreed to support the concept of the Velopark and the Olympic Bid, providing that

· the existing road circuit was replaced by a similar or better facility, capable of adaptations to suit different users.
· the area of land available for off-road use remained the same with a variety of circuits of up to 3 miles in length possible.
· the new facilities were integrated in ways that did not cause conflict between users and were available before the existing facilities were removed from use.
· the integrity and safety of the cycling facilities were not compromised by any other uses, or changes to surrounding land uses.

The Eastway Group agreed tp support British Cycling wholeheartedly in its ef forts to secure this facility. "

You only made that agreement because you could see which way it was going - You can see where the above conditions would have come from.

Now before you go reaching for the Velopark plans put in by the LVRPA, on which you were working, you should be aware of this, which comes from my published meeting notes of a consultation session I went to on 25th November 2003;-
"Lea Valley Park’s ‘Velopark’ plan shows a fantastic range of facilities with TWO wide bridges linking a facility stretching north and south. (This plan was not known to EDAW, LDA, London 2012 or Fluid at the time of last night’s meeting and shows distinct variations from the plans known to the relevant authorities.)"

Jason Prior and Keith Mills were at the consultation. I spoke with both of them and with others from the EDAW team. There is no doubt this is authoritative information on the London 2012 BidCo's awareness of the need for cycling in the plans. Indeed, they said had been told that Eastway was moribund and in need of redevelopment. Their presentation materials reflected this view. - We wondered why they would have thought this, when they were so obviously in contact with the NGB. I also know it was not the in-house cycle-discipline person at London 2012 who would have given this impression, as he was very well-aware of the mountainbike scene in London being the guy who made the UCI World Cups so big, and all.

So no, Brian, I'm not about to withdraw the statement because it's true. There's a lot more besides, but if you don't mind we have a more immediate issue of the legacy and BCs wavering support for users to deal with.
If you would like to meet to discuss this and any other issue of concern, EUG and I personally would be very pleased to make common cause in whatever way we can. Others have suggested it only this week, though obviously it depends on BC deciding to oppose plans which it says are 'unacceptable': Advice elsewhere on this forum has indicated that to be the only sensible route through the application stages.
- You were asked to make a public meeting at which you would be able to hear the representative and real views of users. The offer stands and it's quite genuine.

- Sorry to those who like only to see non-contentious issues on this forum. Brian's point is now dealt with.

Now can we return to the topic?
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course Plurien,my mission was somehow temporarily sidetracked.BC and mission,its a very good idea

I think BCs mission should encompass all and sundry,although there wont always be room for every one as some personalities clash,rarely but it does occur.Put simply there should be room for everyone in the velodrome,with seven thousand seats and one on each knee that would be ok.

In the mission it would be good if they could say specifically how long it would take to answer a pertinent question.Things like expenses for travel and bus fares paid?Do you ever hire corporate jets or do you draw the line at helicopters?

I would like it to state whos in charge,if anybody

Did the president who I believe may have dropped in earlier have any helpful hints with regard to the mission
Willi Tarran
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe point about a Mission Statement is that everyone in the organisation which makes it should be able to see how they add to achieving it.

Unfortunately BC now has so many various bits I cannot see how a single MS would cover every aspect of the activities.

Best thing to do is to break the organisation down into bite size chunks and then determine a Mission Statement for each group.

For example
WCPP
"To make British Cycling the top racing cycling nation in the world"

Insurance Section
"To provide the most comprehensive and cost effective insurance available to members of British Cycling across the whole spectrum or activities"

Coach Education
"To provide a comprehensive and world class coach education and coaching development system that is the bechmark for all sports".

See how complicated it is to make 3 mission statements for just 3 of the very important parts to the BC infrastructure.

Should BC have a generic or overall mission statement - probably not.
Should every definable group within BC have a mission statement - probably should. Do these groups have one? Probably, but do not call itr a mission statement.

Just my musings

Willi Tarran
Brian Cookson
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Plurien"] Brian's point is now dealt with.

[quote]

Well, no, actually. As usual you hide the fact that you cannot substantiate your allegations, with masses of obfuscation and irrelevant drivel. You make statements about what your opinions and feelings are or were, then proceed to treat them as facts, proving your original assertions.

I think most veloriders can see through you Michael, especially following your statement that you want to work with BC providing we agree with everything you say or do.

Thanks for the offer, but we'll carry on behaving like a responsible, accountable, governing body. You, of course, can carry on behaving however you wish, because you aren't accountable to anybody except yourself.

Brian.
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plurien after reading last nights post with regard to 2003 and the three wise men,Knocker ,neil and yerself I was inspired to pen these few simple lines,I may never win a gold medal as Im no showing your kind of form, part of the mission could read,

David met Goliath
they had a cycle race
David beat Goliath
into second place

OR

The gold medal is always on the side of truth

but Im accountable,look look Ive written a poem.

Its great when you see the opposition using yor favourite word like confetti in a dole queue(dont worry ,I dont know either),can you use diatribe aswell please as obfuscation gets lonely when it used to mis represent an unwinnable situation
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get out on your bloody bikes and go for a ride. you'll feel a lot better for it.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
just get out on your bloody bikes and go for a ride. you'll feel a lot better for it.

Do they have time to ride bikes? Wink
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Do they have time to ride bikes? Wink

well there are some who appear to have carved a career for themselves out of moaning about BC on here lately.

wish i was on my bike Sad
Zeco2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Eastway replacement Reply with quote

Eastway was never my favourite circuit. Maybe the fact that it was purpose built and included too many features within a small circuit which, in my opinion, never quite came off (at least not for circuit racing, its original purpose).

However, it was conveniently situated for training and evening racing. Indeed, International and National races also took place there. Over the years. Eastway attracted a variety of 'disciplines' within the sport (and some from outside). Furthermore, Eastway based clubs were formed and local youngsters were introduced to competitive cycling in a safe environment.

To accept the loss of the Eastway facility before an adequate replacement was up and running seems to me to have been totally irresponsible. Some argue that the Ramney Marsh would have provided that venue but then surely prior consultation with all of the users and other interested parties could have avoided the waste of time and effort in securing the change to Hog Hill.

From information that I receive, the alternatives now being followed up are down to local enterprise rather than from the top, ie: BC or any of the government quangos or speculative groups:| .
ByneaBoyo
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Cookson wrote:
Plurien wrote:
Brian's point is now dealt with.

Well, no, actually. As usual you hide the fact that you cannot substantiate your allegations, with masses of obfuscation and irrelevant drivel. You make statements about what your opinions and feelings are or were, then proceed to treat them as facts, proving your original assertions.

I think most veloriders can see through you Michael, especially following your statement that you want to work with BC providing we agree with everything you say or do.

Thanks for the offer, but we'll carry on behaving like a responsible, accountable, governing body. You, of course, can carry on behaving however you wish, because you aren't accountable to anybody except yourself.

Brian.

Brian: Are you saying it didn't happen the way Michael described? I think it's pretty clear who was involved, I'm sure you can check with all the people who were at the table - I'm indifferent to what actually happened, but please enlighten us if it happened a different way.

For the record: I'm more than happy to work with you (BC) on the subject of Eastway Legacy - and, I'm sure, so is Michael.

How about a consultation with users?

Now that the planning objection deadline has passed - is there really that much that divides us now?

If there is a difference, I think it may revolve around location. To borrow a term from the real estate industry: location location location. EUG wants, at a minimum, a re-instatement of the facilities given up - at the location they were given up.

If you can agree to this ambition, as outlined in our mission:

“To campaign for the New Eastway to have improved facilities for all disciplines of cycle-sport (including infrastructure such as club and changing rooms, car parks etc) without any facilities being lost during the construction phases.”

...then lets get together. If you don't, I'll respect your decision - either way.

Chris Jones.
david123
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ByneaBoyo wrote:
Brian Cookson wrote:
Plurien wrote:
Brian's point is now dealt with.

Brian.

Brian: Are you saying it didn't happen the way Michael described? I think it's pretty clear who was involved, I'm sure you can check with all the people who were at the table - I'm indifferent to what actually happened, but please enlighten us if it happened a different way.

For the record: I'm more than happy to work with you (BC) on the subject of Eastway Legacy - and, I'm sure, so is Michael.

How about a consultation with users?

Now that the planning objection deadline has passed - is there really that much that divides us now?

If there is a difference, I think it may revolve around location. To borrow a term from the real estate industry: location location location. EUG wants, at a minimum, a re-instatement of the facilities given up - at the location they were given up.

If you can agree to this ambition, as outlined in our mission:

“To campaign for the New Eastway to have improved facilities for all disciplines of cycle-sport (including infrastructure such as club and changing rooms, car parks etc) without any facilities being lost during the construction phases.”

...then lets get together. If you don't, I'll respect your decision - either way.

Chris Jones.

Chris ,before betting on a horse I always check the name against expected arrivals at the local knackers yards.

Also as a comitted vegetarian(Broadmoor)Im beginning to think giving a bigger slice of our carrot,banana,muesli and yoghurt pizzza would possibly be a wasted gesture given the caveman approach were currently getting
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: