Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Should we have a seperate area for EUG discussions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Seperate area for EUG nonsense?
Yes please
72%
 72%  [ 21 ]
Go on then!
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Good idea Tucker
24%
 24%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 29

martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
martin smith wrote:
you've still got a far better range of facilities than the rest of the country, now stop moaning.

how about looking at what the rest of us have to work with and then wonder why the sympathy hasn't come pouring out? i would love a 7HA colsed circuit and a velodrome near my house but instead i have 40 miles in one direction for a decent outdoor track and 60 miles in the other direction for a closed circuit.

oh and the solution to it taking an hour to drive 10 miles in the capital? get on your bikes and ride there ffs! i used to ride the 40 miles from nottingham to darley moor, race and ride back! i was fit then...

I and many others from all parts of London used to ride to Eastway Martin. The central location of Eastway made this possible.

several others have complained that it takes an hour to drive 10 miles in london, to which there is an obvious solution, given that we are all (or most of us anyway) cyclists. presumably the location of hog hill must be more convenient to some than eastway was?
Des

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But disadvantageous to many more
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
several others have complained that it takes an hour to drive 10 miles in london, to which there is an obvious solution, given that we are all (or most of us anyway) cyclists. presumably the location of hog hill must be more convenient to some than eastway was?

Yes, that's true - but far fewer people gain than lose out, because you're moving away from an area of high-density population to one of lower density population - very low to the north and east of Hog Hill in fact.

Also, remember that it's not necessarily just 10 miles to ride, it's an EXTRA 10 miles - each way - if you lived to the south or west of Eastway, as an awful lot of Eastway users did.
Mr Switcher
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
you've still got a far better range of facilities than the rest of the country, now stop moaning.
how about looking at what the rest of us have to work with and then wonder why the sympathy hasn't come pouring out? i would love a 7HA colsed circuit and a velodrome near my house but instead i have 40 miles in one direction for a decent outdoor track and 60 miles in the other direction for a closed circuit.

oh and the solution to it taking an hour to drive 10 miles in the capital? get on your bikes and ride there ffs! i used to ride the 40 miles from nottingham to darley moor, race and ride back! i was fit then...

and who is actually paying for the Olympics? Answer - the people of London. So if they want to moan about the "range of facilities" , whatever that means, they have every right to.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
...presumably the location of hog hill must be more convenient to some than eastway was?
Yeah I should say so, just up the road.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Ingatestonian
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
martin smith wrote:
...presumably the location of hog hill must be more convenient to some than eastway was?
Yeah I should say so, just up the road.

Same for me actually, so on a personal level I'm doing quite well out of Hog Hill. Doesn't mean I'm not concerned for those who won't though.
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingatestonian wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Yes, that's true - but far fewer people gain than lose out, because you're moving away from an area of high-density population to one of lower density population - very low to the north and east of Hog Hill in fact.

Also, remember that it's not necessarily just 10 miles to ride, it's an EXTRA 10 miles - each way - if you lived to the south or west of Eastway, as an awful lot of Eastway users did.

an extra 20 miles training of an evening? everyone's a winner! Wink bet it's still closer to you than the majority of the country are to a closed circuit.

i'm still not sure that the amount of time and money spent by BC on this is value for money for cycling as a whole and could be better spent aquireing more facilities for the whole country. i'm sure other plans like the east midlands new track must be suffering due to the EUG sucking BC's resources into this. as has been pointed out on here, despite the population density of london, the business of the roads counteracts this somewhat.
Des

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of the country proberly have access to relatively traffic free roads, on which to train and race.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus christ! You guys! Cant you tell where you are not wanted?

Since you are posting on a thread which bemoans the filling of veloriders with EUG crap, I can only assume not. But let me sum up:

1. The EUG basically have a worthy goal.
2. The EUG go about achieving their goal in the most annoying way possible.

At the risk of being a little childish, the next EUG regular who posts here smells and is *CENSORED*. Can you resist?
Des

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I'm not part of the EUG do I still fall under your homophobic description?

I assume a lot of you will be coming down to London for Le Tour depart weekendend. Heres a suggestion, why not join me on a little ride on the Friday afternnon (I'll start from the West End rather the the 12 miles further West I live) to the site of Eastway, then then on to Hog Hill. If you feel really energetic we could push on to Dunton, although that we probably mean missing the Trafalger Square presentation. Any takers? Brian, John T, Martin, Tim?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Well as I'm not part of the EUG do I still fall under your homophobic description?

I assume a lot of you will be coming down to London for Le Tour depart weekendend. Heres a suggestion, why not join me on a little ride on the Friday afternnon (I'll start from the West End rather the the 12 miles further West I live) to the site of Eastway, then then on to Hog Hill. If you feel really energetic we could push on to Dunton, although that we probably mean missing the Trafalger Square presentation. Any takers? Brian, John T, Martin, Tim?

Better idea, you can come round my house and then we'll drive down to Hog Hill, then on to Eastway, you can hold the atlas and tick off the population figures of the towns as we pass them by, see how good the catchment is for the new facility.

Then the next day we can drive to Mallory or Darley Moor, my nearest circuits, which will take even longer, then we can start 50 threads whining about how far away they are and slag off BC for not doing exactly what two people in a car want.

I'm a qualified coach.
Des

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you're getting a circuit down the road in Cambridge Tim. I also take it you're not taking me up on my offer then. Pity you could have finally taught me how to bunny hop and do a track stand Wink
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
IIRC you're getting a circuit down the road in Cambridge Tim. I also take it you're not taking me up on my offer then. Pity you could have finally taught me how to bunny hop and do a track stand Wink

I don't see the point in doing it on a Friday night, that would artificially skew the traffic volumes and make it appear worse than it actually is midweek. Oh, hang on, familiar tactic alert

I'm a qualified coach.
Des

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said Friday afternoon Rolling Eyes
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:

or another challenge - come to my house and try and ride or drive to a closed circuit in the evening after work and try to get there in time to race.
Des

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i take it you're chickening out as well then Martin?
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
i take it you're chickening out as well then Martin?

not at all, i'll do your challenge if you do mine. tell you what, whilst you are at mine we could do a tour of all the defunct tracks in the east midlands area.
Des

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm worng Martin - You live in Newark? Mallory is just over 40 miles by car - 1 1/2 hours ? Darley Moor slightly closer, but slower roads?

I agree with you about th edemise of East (and West Mids) Tracks. After losing Paddington (and the Butts when I lived in Cov) I do not want to lose yet another City Centre facility.
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone actually taken any notice of the poll results? Confused

Des

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As its a skewed poll I haven't voted.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: