Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - TUBS OR CLINCHER, The final show down!

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

TUBS OR CLINCHER, The final show down!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer Tub or Clincher?
TUBS
60%
 60%  [ 24 ]
CLINCHER
40%
 40%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 40

will
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: TUBS OR CLINCHER, The final show down! Reply with quote

Theres always the discussion whether tubs or clinchers are the best, so lets finally clear it up! Place you vote on the poll and if you feel like it, put up your argument! Itll run for 2weeks so get your votes it!
digger
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do Will.Post regually Very Happy !How the search for wheels going.I dunno i've only rode clinchers?
Doozer
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shame there isn't more choice on the tub side of things. I've ridden both. If the same amount of R&D went into tubs they would sell many more I think..

Clinchers have the win with the sheer variety of models available. Tubs win on feel. My next set of wheels is gonna be tubs.

Doozer Mr. Green
Coggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that tubs are the best, but 'clinchers' are more convinient. I bet that tubs still give a slightly better ride though, after all they are lighter ! But seeing as all my wheels are clincher, I'll keep to them now.
TREK
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always raced on tubulars, but some years ago switched to clinchers for repair convenience.

If I were to race again I think that I would go back to tubs, I really liked the better response and control.

TREK
Des

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR on clinchers now for the lower cost of ownership and ease of repair. Still TT on tubs as its far quicker to change if you puncture in an event (assuming my spare hasn't fallen off several miles back Sad ). So can I post 1 vote for each Question Idea
PNuT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried a tub inside a clincher for the ultimate in puncture proofing... far too heavy tho Sad

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
murder trainer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TREK wrote:
I always raced on tubulars, but some years ago switched to clinchers for repair convenience.

If I were to race again I think that I would go back to tubs, I really liked the better response and control.

TREK

One thing worth remembering is that the tyres used by the pro-teams are not always *CENSORED* even if the transfer on the sidewalls is the same.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubs for track

Clinchers for road

Testing is pointless so don't get a vote!
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Des, Clinchers for road, Tubs for TT, but would ride tubs for everything if it was less expensive. Track I would ride tubs too (& did a few years ago). And I've just got a MTB with tubless tyres! (where does that fit?)

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Joe on this one

Tubs for Track

Clinchers for the Road

I use road or track bike for testing depending on mood
will
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone had any problems with tubs rolling off yet? Ive heard loads of stories and wondered if they were true. Well, i know Pannini's did, doesnt out a lot of confidence in me!
Tubless on MTB, GET THEM OFF!!!! Ive had alot of experience with them and me and many people soon converted back. For MTB, tubless does not prove much of an advantage. The weight loss is minimal and not worth the risk of punctures.
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like ride of tubs best but has already pointed out hp's are more convienant.

Cycling Bargains Dealfinder @ https://cycling-bargains.co.uk?utm_source=VeloridersSignature
Twitter @ https://twitter.com/BargainsCycling
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/cyclebargains
Coggy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bike test (remember them ?) in 1976 (really hot) the bike tester managed to roll my tub off. That nearly got me a suspension !
sdc
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT = Tubs
RR = Pressures(only coz i dont trust me sticking skills Laughing )
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will wrote:
Has anyone had any problems with tubs rolling off yet? Ive heard loads of stories and wondered if they were true. Well, i know Pannini's did, doesnt out a lot of confidence in me!
If they are properly stuck on, rolling them during normal riding (and even some extreme riding) should be no problem. If anything, getting them off should be the problem. Even tub tape sticks them on pretty well.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalcolmCog wrote:
In a bike test (remember them ?) in 1976 (really hot) the bike tester managed to roll my tub off. That nearly got me a suspension !

In 1976 I learnt to walk! Wink
Mossy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="will"]Has anyone had any problems with tubs rolling off yet? Ive heard loads of stories and wondered if they were true. Well, i know Pannini's did, doesnt out a lot of confidence in me!
Tubless on MTB, GET THEM OFF!!!! Ive had alot of experience with them and me and many people soon converted back. For MTB, tubless does not prove much of an advantage. The weight loss is minimal and not worth the risk of punctures.[/quote]

I thought the main reason for them was to avoid pinch punctures ( or "snakebites" as the image concious MTB's like to call them)

Reading the Three Peaks report it seems the cyclo cross people stick (no pun intended) with tubs for the same reason.
I train on cheap tubs and spray in this self repair stuff if they punture, works out cheaper than tyres that are as light and can take the same pressure, and less snakebites. I've aquired loads of sprint rims, so I don't need to worry about potholes
rghit pclae.
TREK
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubs rolling off is a lack of maintenance. When I raced on the track and even the steepest tracks we used shelack to stick on our tires, there was plus's and minus's to using this product, but if done properly my tires never rolled off.
When I raced at Manchester in 98, and for convenience, I used contact cement. There was no way a tire was going to roll off.

So prepare the rim properly, and place glue on both rim and tire allow to stand for a short bit, then stick it together.

TREKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK( Oh I couldn't get my finger off the key)
Louise Jones
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racing - definately tubs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: