Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Is cycling now a 'middle-class sport'?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Is cycling now a 'middle-class sport'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is cycling now a 'middle-class sport'?
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 41 ]
No
42%
 42%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 71

Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Paul H. wrote:
Plumbers. Working class or middle class? Wink

upper class these days isn't it? Smile

Does £££ define class now then? Wink

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
martin smith wrote:
Paul H. wrote:

Does £££ define class now then? Wink

as demonstrated ably by the house in the saloon - clearly not Very Happy
martin smith
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

class is all bolleux anyway. as kj said, people are people and should be evaluated on their own merits.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
class is all bolleux anyway. as kj said, people are people and should be evaluated on their own merits.

I think we need a new system.

How about the following classifications -

Annoying tossers
Bullsh!tters
Dullards
Testers
Buckets of lard
Pointless people
Everyone else

Cool Laughing

Paul H.
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin smith wrote:
Paul H. wrote:

A good example tho of earning power being more related to supply and demand rather than class. In a few years they will be 10 a penny again. Rolling Eyes
DNAse
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Annoying tossers
Bullsh!tters
Dullards
Testers
Buckets of lard
Pointless people
Everyone else

Cool Laughing

which are you?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNAse wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
martin smith wrote:

Annoying tossers
Bullsh!tters
Dullards
Testers
Buckets of lard
Pointless people
Everyone else

Cool Laughing

which are you?

Which one aren't I you mean?

Rich Hill
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, it is a classless sport.

I'll 2nd that.
Lone Wheeler
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll third that....people with class don't need to shout about it, they just have it.
vegetable
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

16simon
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that Tony Bell?
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Financially speaking (from experience)

Unforutnately some riders feel they have to keep up with the jones' and over stretch their disposable income in an attempt to either feel one of the crowd or to compete with others on a level playing field.
This often gives the wrong impression when every 3rd, 4th cat, junior and his dog turn up at races blinged out with the latest colnago bike *CENSORED*.
Passes by must think cyclists are made of money when in fact most arent in my experience.
Graham Webb
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one thing we don't have here, and the one thing I loath most about my native country, 'class distinction'. If in Belgium I cycle with the Prime Minister, Eddy Merckx or one of my old work mates it all feels the same to me, and them. So I won't be voting Fritz.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of the guys i've conversed with in our new club we have a couple of joiners, a steeplejack, a roofer, a guy who pours concrete mouldings, a couple of housewifes (married to one or other of the aforementioned blokes) a nurse or two and dozen or so juveniles/juniors/students.

Mostly riding around on nice (ish) bikes. Driving 3-5 year old cars and all in a nice big house (well they cost f-all here).

So me and the wife as professionals are both odd ones out.

We never miss a training session as we are working late's or nights..........

Our last club in the UK was mainly professionals, teachers, engineers, management types etc.

We now live in Swedens industrial heartland (tho you wouldn't be able to tell) we used to live in a poshish bit of the midlands.

Make of that what you will.

(I think it's more to do with the area your club is based in, my first club in York had everything from minimum wage thro to the (then) boss of BREL.)

Keeping up with the Joneses is what is putting people with smaller disposable incomes off, if you don't have a carbon/Ultegra road bike, you can't ride with us attitude...... and so on.

Look at the number of thirds/fourths with carbon wheels, frame etc.

I'm not saying they shouldn't splash the cash, but it makes the sport look inaccessible.

(Best thing is watching the blinged up 4th cat getting hammered by someone on a 10 year old steel frame with 7 speed down tube shifter.....)
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:

Keeping up with the Joneses is what is putting people with smaller disposable incomes off, if you don't have a carbon/Ultegra road bike, you can't ride with us attitude...... and so on.

ohhh Shocked

I do hope you are on about winter club runs right? Ultegra to race on? People do that do they? seriously?
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is classless to a degree. But you need a fair chunk of disposable or be prepared to batter your credit cards. 1 decent road bike will probably cost around a £1k, but could easily be £3k plus and still not be that out of the ordinary. And how many people have one bike. So maybe a TT bike - well that's not going to be cheap if you have decent wheels, or a track bike, or a cross bike or an MTB and it really starts to mount up yet nobody ion here would consider 4 bikes a lot?? Then kit, easy to spend £100 on pretty much any item of kit from shoes, shorts, shades helmet etc??

So it's not a sport for those with little disposable and thats before you factor in the cost of racing. But wealth and disposable income are not necessarily bedfellows are they?
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 wrote:
mattr wrote:

ohhh Shocked

I do hope you are on about winter club runs right? Ultegra to race on? People do that do they? seriously?

lol
in some clubs it appears that way.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
I think it is classless to a degree. But you need a fair chunk of disposable or be prepared to batter your credit cards. 1 decent road bike will probably cost around a £1k, but could easily be £3k plus and still not be that out of the ordinary. And how many people have one bike. So maybe a TT bike - well that's not going to be cheap if you have decent wheels, or a track bike, or a cross bike or an MTB and it really starts to mount up yet nobody ion here would consider 4 bikes a lot?? Then kit, easy to spend £100 on pretty much any item of kit from shoes, shorts, shades helmet etc??

So it's not a sport for those with little disposable and thats before you factor in the cost of racing. But wealth and disposable income are not necessarily bedfellows are they?

this is my point exactly, the differences between a good quality £300 second hand steel bike, a £1000 Planet X Carbon SL and a £3-5k lance ar5ekisser, in the grand scheme of things, is f**k all. It's more about what you do with it.

The guy who leads our club rides is an ex national champ, has been selected to ride the worlds and olympics (both MTB and Road) and a number of other events, he is still riding round on his last team issue bike, a 7 year old Fuji. Can still give the rest of us a kicking.

Hes a manual labourer, with 4 kids and a wife to support. Hardly big income.
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:

lol
in some clubs it appears that way.

Cycling seems to be a sport which often has a few of the 'all the gear, no idea' folk. Then again a £100k p/a job in the city will often afford a bachelor/ette a nice little £5-6k mount for those crisp 16mph winter runs in surrey

Go up norf and the coal miners all turn up on a sunday morning after the night shift down the pit for their local TTs, throw off the mudguards and get on with 100 mile efforts on their 1970 carltons

Power tap to these guys is the new line dancing class down the social mans working club
racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why all the fuss. As has been said, cyclists come from all professions and classes. And those with any sense respect what the legs do, nothing else.
And of course the 3rds and 4ths have the best bikes, They're typically older and richer and finally have the wherewithall to afford some nice gear. It's the not-quite-good-enough-to-be-sponsored 21 year olds who struggle with kit.

One other point. It's to all our benefit if it is perceived as middle-class, as that's the group whose acceptance we require on the road. Much as we might fear working-class white van man, the politicians take note of middle england, and when they start to support cycling and cyclists, so will politicians. And then our ascendancy begins.

Last edited by racyrich2 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: