Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - New forum for Non cycling related chat?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

New forum for Non cycling related chat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do we need a new forum for non cycling related chat?
Yes
66%
 66%  [ 40 ]
No
33%
 33%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 60

veloriders
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: New forum for Non cycling related chat? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, reading a few posts lately, this question seems to keep being asked about a non cycling related forum. As this message board and forums are set up for you, what do you think.

Please Vote. Exclamation

Webmaster. Very Happy

Last edited by veloriders on Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:19 am; edited 2 times in total
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think we should have, we all like to chill out on rubbish posts, be good to keep them separate.

Cycling Bargains Dealfinder @ https://cycling-bargains.co.uk?utm_source=VeloridersSignature
Twitter @ https://twitter.com/BargainsCycling
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/cyclebargains
PNuT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a smashing idea Smile wish i had thought of it Wink

it will mean the road cycling section will need to be moderated correctly tho Shocked & trash posts deleted!!

who will be moderator on the new forum Laughing

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seing as how it looks like I'm the only one (so far) who's voted no then I'll put my two cents in (Kent Brockman style).

It's all good fun: this is the only forum I check out when I log on and to be honest, who cares what drivel is being written? When I first joined last year, me and PPrince used o spend all day on here, trying to do silly things like work in sad 80's lyrics into our replies. It's ALWAYS been about just having fun and a bit of a giggle, cycling related or not.

I couldn't care less that people use this forum to flirt with others or make inane chit-chat. There are people on here who I expect I wouldn't give the time of day to if I saw them in the cold light of day yet there others who seem to be fairly well-adjusted once you meet them in real life.

We all come on here to enjoy a shared love of cycling and to kick back a bit. If you don't like the posts, THEN DON'T READ THEM! If you don't like the site, then don't come on here. It's not hard is it? If osmething winds you up then don't keep coming here and reading the latest Bonger/Bike Babe thread. If Tony Bell gets up your nose then don't read his posts. If you want informative cycling realted news then go to www.cyclingnews.com

RRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! Rant over!
Richard
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND another thing Rolling Eyes ....

...if we're all so sensible on here why have we got such colourful characters like PNuT, Topskull, Foxy, De Rosa, Turnipsock, Bonger, Zontor, Jean Jourdain, Megman, Tron, Dick Thrill etc when these are not their real names?

Do these names not suggest a certain ability to NOT take ourselves too seriously?
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
what a smashing idea Smile wish i had thought of it Wink

it will mean the road cycling section will need to be moderated correctly tho Shocked & trash posts deleted!!

who will be moderator on the new forum Laughing

I had also mentioned this a few months back Confused cant find it now Sad

If you were the moderator PNut you would have to delete/move all sensible/seroius posts back over to the sirious forum Rolling Eyes

Cycling Bargains Dealfinder @ https://cycling-bargains.co.uk?utm_source=VeloridersSignature
jay cee
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just think that cr@p like the flirting ones should be on a seperate forum, most of us hav no interest in cyber relationships, cus we get out of the house....
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this was a cycling message board so why do we need a non-cycling forum. There are lots of other message boards for that. However, if it gets the non-cycling stuff off the proper forums then I am all for it.
John McC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the posts start off being cycle related; its just they get hijacked very often. A separate forum would not alter this or prevent it from happening - so what's the point Confused
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Most of the posts start off being cycle related; its just they get hijacked very often. A separate forum would not alter this or prevent it from happening - so what's the point Confused

To true, moderators should just remove anything that gets too far off topic (as the message board rules say they will) and then those who post nothing to do with cycling will disappear.
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:

If we had another forum then the moderators could move non cycling related topics to this new forum or delete post when they go off topic. This would keep the cycling forums for cycling and thats what I think we all want. Cool
John McC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a fuss over nothing Exclamation
Gary K
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we had a non cycling forum then I doubt anyone would use it as they would not get the attention they seek when posting what they do.

If people want to seriously date each other on here then fine, but we have PM and e-mail for that. I think it is all a laugh when heartbreaker(s), bike babe, bonger, etc chat each other up, especially if you believe heartbreaker to be a 15 stone trucker with a beard big enough for a badger to live in! (Not that I do heartbreaker, you understand!!) and what could happen to Bonger should he set up a blind date at the town hall! Ouch!!!

Let's keep it lighthearted and we'll try to keep the serious posts serious as moderators. Remember, most cyclists are born without personalities or senses of humour, allegedly!!! Maybe this is one way to inject that into them?
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger wrote:
John McC wrote:

If we had another forum then the moderators could move non cycling related topics to this new forum or delete post when they go off topic. This would keep the cycling forums for cycling and thats what I think we all want. Cool

I cannot see it being a bad thing.
Seems a win win situation to me.

The posters who dont mind all the banter, can still read all the posts as before. But the ppsters who dont like it can choose not to read that forum if they dont want to.

Of course it will not totally stop some of the comments (and we would not want to) but at least we would be trying to improve VR for the benefits of all its members. There is a concern because members have raised it.

Dave the Bear
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to put my name forward as potential moderator for the new forum. If de rosa can do it, damn so can i
Da Hood-Place where all veloriders live, and chose to stay most of their lives. Only veloriders can be found here, so they like it. Usually the crappiest neighborhood in any city/town. "Yo De Rosa, stop frontin', I knowz you ain't from Da Hood."
sloathe
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Rich here
If posts can only be bike related, we are going to have a lot of very short discussions, I mean how many times can you debate Shimano v Campag or 9 v 10 speed Razz

Another thing, sometimes people get the wrong idea about a particular thread which is sometimes prevented from turning into a far more irate situation by a humorous comment.

At the end of the day its all a bit of fun isn't it Question
I hope so otherwise I not playing again Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:30 pm    Post subject: objective Reply with quote

in that case it would need to be a very objective person who decided which forum a topic should go in. If you try and be objective and look down the column of titles I think you will find the people who seem to be being blamed for the problems are not actually involved in many threads yet there are many threads which have little or no relation to cycling. I would imagine that the likes of bike babe/heartbreaker et al will get fed up with the forum pretty soon any-way.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a thought, it's abit hard to understand why the threads started and containing bike babe/the real heartbreaker/bonger etc got quite so many views and replies if people object quite so much. Perhaps it's just something you all love to hate!
De Rosa
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anything separate is needed but it is a pity that when some threads are serious they get hijacked by crazy comments that might best be left for other threads. There is room for both types of thread but I think there is a clear demand for some threads to be serious discussion topics and others to be just mucking about and having a laugh. I would just ask the guys who sometimes spoil a serious thread occasionally just to back off a bit.

Your seriously!

De Rosa

Now back off PNuT! Wink
Dave the Bear
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you didn't like that, you might not like this. I was going to stand for committee this year. If im old enough, which i should be because i can vote at the AGM. Any probs?
Da Hood-Place where all veloriders live, and chose to stay most of their lives. Only veloriders can be found here, so they like it. Usually the crappiest neighborhood in any city/town. "Yo De Rosa, stop frontin', I knowz you ain't from Da Hood."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: