Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Lock ring or no lock ring

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Lock ring or no lock ring
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Lock ring or no lock ring
yes
32%
 32%  [ 13 ]
no
67%
 67%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 40

Coggy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Lock ring or no lock ring Reply with quote

Just read the track racing bit on the BC web site, and wondered if, like me, you don't use a lock ring.
Well ? Do you secure your rear sprocket with a lock ring, or let it spin free ?
Bryant.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know whether to pleased or not that someone has actually read what i wrote. Opinion on things like lock-rings, tubs or tyres, crank lengths etc etc seems to vary a lot amongst experienced riders, so I tried to explain pros & cons & be a little non-committal on an actual answer.
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lock ring or no lock ring Reply with quote

MalcolmCog wrote:
Just read the track racing bit on the BC web site, and wondered if, like me, you don't use a lock ring.
Well ? Do you secure your rear sprocket with a lock ring, or let it spin free ?

Unless you've stripped your hub it should stop spinning when it hits the shoulder of the hub Shocked
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont use lockring for training - but dont race track.

Cycling Bargains Dealfinder @ https://cycling-bargains.co.uk?utm_source=VeloridersSignature
Twitter @ https://twitter.com/BargainsCycling
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/cyclebargains
Mat Gregory
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i ride with a lock ring dunno why but i do
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mat Gregory wrote:
yeah i ride with a lock ring dunno why but i do

inexperience of youth Shocked
legro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use a lock ring, if you put it on with a chain whip it won't come off, however if you ship your chain this theory has a safety mechanism where as the chain will wrap around the sproket and undo it rather than seizing up your back wheel and snapping your chain. Laughing
BigRobJef
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
I never use a lock ring, if you put it on with a chain whip it won't come off, however if you ship your chain this theory has a safety mechanism where as the chain will wrap around the sproket and undo it rather than seizing up your back wheel and snapping your chain. Laughing

or you can keep your lock ring, lock your rear wheel, up blow up your tyre, wreck the rim and remove all the skin off your leg as I did Wink Laughing Shocked Exclamation
legro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........thats my point Laughing
qcscmh
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive never managed to unscrew a fixed sprocket when on the bike.

I do need to change my chain now after 3 years i think Shocked

Cycling Bargains Dealfinder @ https://cycling-bargains.co.uk?utm_source=VeloridersSignature
Twitter @ https://twitter.com/BargainsCycling
Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/cyclebargains
sdp
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never used one on the track but i've got on on my road fixed... & that has 2 brakes as well....dont know why its on really......
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not used one since I was a Juvenile (and that was a while ago now!) Still never unsrewed a sprocket yet either and I kick back all the time!
TREK
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always made sure that I got through the English bicycle inspections first, then I took it off immediately. Could you imagine what the other top track stars would say if we were using a lock ring.
Mat Gregory
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
seizing up your back wheel and snapping your chain. Laughing

Yeah thats happened. pretty scary, chain didnt snap though just put a big flat spot on my tire and a 100m long black line on halesowen track.
legro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so Mat don't use a lock ring but make sure you put your sprocket on correctly
StuartBen
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a subject on which delegates to National Council spent many happy hours debating year after year. But that was a long time ago when the BCF rule stated that you MUST have a lockring, but which many track riders ignored or even stuck a reamed out lockring to their sprocket! So it appeared to the machine examiner that one was fitted.
I started the ball rolling to get the rule changed so that a lockring was optional after I arranged for Steve Heffernan, then only 18, to ride at the Vincennes track in Paris. The French commissaires ordered him to take the lockring off as they were not allowed to be fitted in France. So we had opposite rules on either side of the Channel.
As stated, it took years to get it changed in the UK and was one of the things that persuaded National Council to hand over decisions like this to the Technical Committee. That has halved the length of National Council meetings, possibly more.
murder trainer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:

.....or more seriously ripping your ankles out of their sockets, damaging your knees or hip joints! If there is no drive, you'll come to a halt as long as you don't panic!
Knee joints, ankles and other parts of the articulations take far longer to repair than a chain or sprocket replacement.
track slider

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a junior I lost the chain on the Roundhay grass track, used a lock ring, ceased the back wheel up nearly held it up, then got thrown off landing on my side, lovely grass burn and sh*gged all the tendons in my foot. Lessons learned

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But young riders still have to use lockrings; its enforced pretty rigorously for them.
IainW not logged in

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
But young riders still have to use lockrings; its enforced pretty rigorously for them.

Having read all these post, but not being a track rider I have to ask.....

WHY ?????????? Confused

It makes no sense.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Polls All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: