Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Matt Clinton - his future?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Matt Clinton - his future?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Matt Clinton - his future? Reply with quote

Congratulations Matt.
What has Matt got that makes him a champion?
Where could that lead him, apart from repeating this win (and many others) in the following seasons?
Rich hopes Matt can translate that form to the road. I would also hope that would/will be the case.
But are there any other options for him?
Back to my first question: is it ‘fast twitch’ muscles that give him that speed?
Is it sheer explosive power?
Is it power to weight ratio?
A combination of all these points, plus desire and dedication?
I just wonder if ‘the track’ might be something he should test out on, properly.
Maybe someone with better knowledge could comment.
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering what his 10 and 25 times were when he rode the BUSA a few years back he should target the Rudy Project series. He could win that in my opinion
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think his first act should be to appoint John McC as his agent.
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlane wrote:
I think his first act should be to appoint John McC as his agent.

Laughing
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Remembering what his 10 and 25 times were when he rode the BUSA a few years back he should target the Rudy Project series. He could win that in my opinion

Laughing Laughing

Wow, what an achievement, can tell you came from a timetrialling background. Wink
Richard Kennedy
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Matt Clinton - his future? Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
Congratulations Matt.
What has Matt got that makes him a champion?
Where could that lead him, apart from repeating this win (and many others) in the following seasons?
Rich hopes Matt can translate that form to the road. I would also hope that would/will be the case.
But are there any other options for him?
Back to my first question: is it ‘fast twitch’ muscles that give him that speed?
Is it sheer explosive power?
Is it power to weight ratio?
A combination of all these points, plus desire and dedication?
I just wonder if ‘the track’ might be something he should test out on, properly.
Maybe someone with better knowledge could comment.

Great result by Matt Very Happy but, while it may be a short event in road racing terms, there isn't much fast twitch or explosive power going on compared to what a track rider would understand by those terms. (sorry to break it too you Matt, but there it is Laughing )
To a track rider, fast twitch and explosive power is firmly in the track sprinter's domain. Being a track sprinter myself I have no trouble informing you that it doesn't help me get up hills quicker. Laughing Sad
The sustained power and ability to ride at his limit would suggest Matt might be able to knock out a good pursuit though Smile
Mr.B
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presumably the ride was north of 10w/kg. if he can do something like this towards the end of a long ride he should be aiming to win LBL eventually...aim for the stars etc.
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dozen or so of his futures were deleted in the saloon, earlier!
Des

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White goods technician / repairman Wink
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
White goods technician / repairman Wink

My posts were all nicer than that, and they got the chop - SHOCKING! Rolling Eyes
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My posts were all nicer than that, and they got the chop - SHOCKING! Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Corrr .... did I miss something?
Were they all constructive?
Si W
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:

Are you new here?

(and sort yer quote out!)
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Dave Griffiths wrote:

Are you new here?

(and sort yer quote out!)

Ok John.
£3,786.20 + VAT
John McC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£4448.79 Confused
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
£4448.79 Confused

Hey .... that's spot on the price of our new heating system, just in, JIT!
Patrick
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:

Yeah, but testing isn't a real sport. Stick to the road Matt, or ride XC again!
JimmyRay
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt has a weapon... where it'll take him is anyones guess, but it'll depend on how he learns to understand that weapon and utilise it to reach his goals.

What impresses me is that Matt is no pure climber, so as far as transferring this to something that may earn him money goes, there could be a chance.

The main restriction I see now is his age, and getting the doors that need to open to progress to open for him. A national title always helps, but if he wants much more from the sport, he needs to be grabbing any and all opportunites now, right now.

On a more scientific level I would be really interested in finding out what makes Matt a national championship winning hill climber... i certainly think there is some interesting studies to be done at how certain individuals muscles produce powers at different cadences/resistance levels, as I believe there is some blatant variances that can't be explained away that easily.

If you take other top hill climbers like hendersona nd Dobbin, they are obviously of the producing reasonable power to propel low weights up hill variety. I've seen Dobbing dropped from a break on a tailwind, straight downhill section, so I guess its not pure power (the fact he looks like a twig is also a clue!).

Matt however does not fit this build, so his achievements must all be down to sheer power dragging up those climbs. However equally, I have rarely seen this power translated on teh road, so maybe either mentally, or physiologically (thats not a word is it?) he needs to be fighting resistance to do so?

Alternatively, maybe he isn't applying his ability to his raod racing exploits yet? When that happens...hell we all need to look out!
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Matt will mind be talking about his cycling ability, so here goes a brief explanation:

Clinton is an animal, there are times where he'll sit on the front and pull breaks back because he doesn't know anything different. He has long sustained power, as Richard Kennedy suggested, but I can still beat him in a sprint.

Personally, I think the main reason Clinton hasn't exploited his power on the road yet is because he still has very little clue about tactics. He got a 3rd or 4th this year in an E12 race which he almost packed in half way through because he felt ill. On a basic level, he agreed to tow his team mate up to the break and just nailed it on the front, team mate couldn't keep up and Clinton ended up in the split to take a decent placing. That about sums him up.

It's also worth mentioning that not everybody has dreams of being a professional cyclist. Clinton went to France for a year, did OK, rode and finished the Tour of Alsace, but came back to the UK because he doesn't like it. He's got a degree and will probably get a reasonable job at some point (just working on the social skills), you can still win races and work 9-5, look at Ian Wilkinson.

He's also done a short 54min 25 miler on a road bike with tri bars and normal deep section wheels.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
I don't think Matt will mind be talking about his cycling ability, so here goes a brief explanation:

Clinton is an animal, there are times where he'll sit on the front and pull breaks back because he doesn't know anything different. He has long sustained power, as Richard Kennedy suggested, but I can still beat him in a sprint.

Personally, I think the main reason Clinton hasn't exploited his power on the road yet is because he still has very little clue about tactics. He got a 3rd or 4th this year in an E12 race which he almost packed in half way through because he felt ill. On a basic level, he agreed to tow his team mate up to the break and just nailed it on the front, team mate couldn't keep up and Clinton ended up in the split to take a decent placing. That about sums him up.

It's also worth mentioning that not everybody has dreams of being a professional cyclist. Clinton went to France for a year, did OK, rode and finished the Tour of Alsace, but came back to the UK because he doesn't like it. He's got a degree and will probably get a reasonable job at some point (just working on the social skills), you can still win races and work 9-5, look at Ian Wilkinson.

He's also done a short 54min 25 miler on a road bike with tri bars and normal deep section wheels.

So, in summary, he's got a big engine but is as thick as mince?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: