Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Matt Clinton - his future?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Matt Clinton - his future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:

So, in summary, he's got a big engine but is as thick as mince?

So I was right, he needs to be testing, they sound the perfect attributes!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Des

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:

So I was right, he needs to be testing, they sound the perfect attributes!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Or Triathlon
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Adam wrote:
I don't think Matt will mind be talking about his cycling ability, so here goes a brief explanation:

Clinton is an animal, there are times where he'll sit on the front and pull breaks back because he doesn't know anything different. He has long sustained power, as Richard Kennedy suggested, but I can still beat him in a sprint.

Personally, I think the main reason Clinton hasn't exploited his power on the road yet is because he still has very little clue about tactics. He got a 3rd or 4th this year in an E12 race which he almost packed in half way through because he felt ill. On a basic level, he agreed to tow his team mate up to the break and just nailed it on the front, team mate couldn't keep up and Clinton ended up in the split to take a decent placing. That about sums him up.

It's also worth mentioning that not everybody has dreams of being a professional cyclist. Clinton went to France for a year, did OK, rode and finished the Tour of Alsace, but came back to the UK because he doesn't like it. He's got a degree and will probably get a reasonable job at some point (just working on the social skills), you can still win races and work 9-5, look at Ian Wilkinson.

He's also done a short 54min 25 miler on a road bike with tri bars and normal deep section wheels.

In one, Sir.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Adam wrote:
I don't think Matt will mind be talking about his cycling ability, so here goes a brief explanation:

Clinton is an animal, there are times where he'll sit on the front and pull breaks back because he doesn't know anything different. He has long sustained power, as Richard Kennedy suggested, but I can still beat him in a sprint.

Personally, I think the main reason Clinton hasn't exploited his power on the road yet is because he still has very little clue about tactics. He got a 3rd or 4th this year in an E12 race which he almost packed in half way through because he felt ill. On a basic level, he agreed to tow his team mate up to the break and just nailed it on the front, team mate couldn't keep up and Clinton ended up in the split to take a decent placing. That about sums him up.

It's also worth mentioning that not everybody has dreams of being a professional cyclist. Clinton went to France for a year, did OK, rode and finished the Tour of Alsace, but came back to the UK because he doesn't like it. He's got a degree and will probably get a reasonable job at some point (just working on the social skills), you can still win races and work 9-5, look at Ian Wilkinson.

He's also done a short 54min 25 miler on a road bike with tri bars and normal deep section wheels.

In one, Sir.

needs to get himself up to manchester track for a try out.
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
Adam wrote:

Hmmmm. Confused Confused
John McC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it from an old Poly?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Colonel wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
Adam wrote:

Hmmmm. Confused Confused

Getting a degree is not a measure of intelligence. Even I've got a degree ffs.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
John McC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yer, from a Poly, you clown Wink
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Was it from an old Poly?

University of Leeds. Rolling Eyes

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
John McC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
University of Leeds. Rolling Eyes

No excuse for being fick then, mush Wink
AlbertHerring
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have a brain the size of a planet and still be pathologically incapable of applying the smallest bit of common sense to the way you ride in a bike race.

That's my excuse, anyway (not that I need one, being fairly rubbish on purely physiological grounds too). I recommend riding cross, no tactics required.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="AlbertHerring"]You can have a brain the size of a planet and still be pathologically incapable of applying the smallest bit of common sense to the way you ride in a bike race.

I would suggest that the opposite can apply, in that: some riders seem to have an innate sense of, for instance, picking the right moment to attack.

On the 'build point', I recall the great Pete Graham as not being stick thin AND being a more than fair road rider, as well as being a good bloke.

Most riders who, like Matt, have acheived a degree level education, are likely to consider a Pro Cycling career a secondary consideration to 'just enjoying their sport' but it should be possible to achieve further honours when you have such proven competitive ability
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, and I was there and it was a cracking ride, but as webster said, 'it means nowt' henderson- cr@p road rider, dobbin- 'okay(ish) road rider in the hills. He has just beat the best riders who rode, and could have done no more, and his consistency is amazing 12 wins from 12 rides is very good, but it does not mean he is the best climber in the country, he needs to get on a track and ride a seasons worth of premiers. and get a bit more savvy with the tictacs and when to use his reasonable power.
Matt Clinton
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
With all due respect, and I was there and it was a cracking ride, but as webster said, 'it means nowt' henderson- cr@p road rider, dobbin- 'okay(ish) road rider in the hills. He has just beat the best riders who rode, and could have done no more, and his consistency is amazing 12 wins from 12 rides is very good, but it does not mean he is the best climber in the country, he needs to get on a track and ride a seasons worth of premiers. and get a bit more savvy with the tictacs and when to use his reasonable power.

I did. Apart from Blackpool.

Avatar by Techno (http://techno.smugmug.com)
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:

That all sounds very sensible to me, but I would suggest that you would need to at least be in a well run amateur team or a sponsored team to sustain such a season. So someone would need to give him a break and he would need to totally committ. Nothings easy, no matter how good you are.
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Clinton wrote:
alexc wrote:

I did. Apart from Blackpool.

sorry, didnt see the start lists just the top 10's in the comic Wink
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Griffiths wrote:
alexc wrote:

That all sounds very sensible to me, but I would suggest that you would need to at least be in a well run amateur team or a sponsored team to sustain such a season. So someone would need to give him a break and he would need to totally committ. Nothings easy, no matter how good you are.

I thought he was.
Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
He has just beat the best riders who rode, and could have done no more,

We were discussing this on the way back home afterwards - what would have been the outcome if say the Downing brothers or Malcolm Elliot had ridden? It'd be an interesting race, non?
alexc
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odge wrote:
alexc wrote:
He has just beat the best riders who rode, and could have done no more,

We were discussing this on the way back home afterwards - what would have been the outcome if say the Downing brothers or Malcolm Elliot had ridden? It'd be an interesting race, non?

richardson, swift, house, fleeman, lloyd, he would still have been in the mix though.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
Dave Griffiths wrote:
alexc wrote:

I thought he was.

You're right of course but .... I was making the point that: any rider who has a distinct programme in mind has to find a way to fulfill that. I read of Matt being with KFS and now has the support of Vaughans Cycles and let's hope that, as well as a road programme, he can get the chance to try out the track, which I thought sounded promising and others, including yourself have also suggested worth a proper try out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: