Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - gym ball

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

gym ball
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madball
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Drury wrote:
Mr Average wrote:
you couldn't do a bicep curl on a ball if you had weak abs. have you ever tried it??!!

Yes you could, if overactive muscles are doing the job of weak and inhibited ones. e.g Your rectus abdominus (movement muscle )maybe relatively strong/toned but your intrinsic core stabilisers may be relatively weak.

I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form.
Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.

Btw, How will doing an isolation exercise for your biceps carry over to the bike?

How does any core stabiliser work transfer across to bike work, it isn't something i think of when i am riding Confused
legro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aren't you the lucky one

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madball
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
aren't you the lucky one

The day you hear cyclists talking about engaging there core stabilisers on a ride is quite possibly the time to give up. It isn't a pilates class you know Laughing
Max Drury
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Max Drury wrote:
I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form. Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.
I have often wondered if, for cyclists, a trip to the gym is even necessary. Would it be possible to compile a set of simple floor-based equipment-free exercises that would be of benefit - push-ups, sit-ups and the like?

How many push-ups can the average racing cyclist do, if any?

I think so, although sit ups probably aren't a great exercise as they cause high compressive loads on your low back. Most of us would probably end up using our psoas muscle to do sit ups because it becomes very well developed in bike riders...also causing increased compression on the lower back. Confused
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Max Drury wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Max Drury wrote:
I'm a fan of gym based training but it's about choosing the appropriate exercises performed properly. Not just swinging weights around or balancing on a ball with bad form. Having said that, you might be a perfect physical specimen..but if you do a lot of miles, I doubt it.
I have often wondered if, for cyclists, a trip to the gym is even necessary. Would it be possible to compile a set of simple floor-based equipment-free exercises that would be of benefit - push-ups, sit-ups and the like?

I think so, although sit ups probably aren't a great exercise as they cause high compressive loads on your low back. Most of us would probably end up using our psoas muscle to do sit ups because it becomes very well developed in bike riders...also causing increased compression on the lower back. Confused
I'd be interested in a pointer to a set of suitable exercises, with a guide to the right and wrong way to do them, if such exists.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
Max Drury wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
Max Drury wrote:

I'd be interested in a pointer to a set of suitable exercises, with a guide to the right and wrong way to do them, if such exists.

I'm watching this thread with interest.
legro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madball
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i'm not a great fan crunches/sit-ups. I would generally suggest using exercises such as the plank on its own or using an SB. Holding the correct pose for upwards of 30 secs will target the stabilisers. Include rotational work as this won't be used during cycling activities.
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madball wrote:
Personally i'm not a great fan crunches/sit-ups.
Included as an example only;
Quote:
I would generally suggest using exercises such as the plank on its own or using an SB. Holding the correct pose for upwards of 30 secs will target the stabilisers. Include rotational work as this won't be used during cycling activities.
as I said, a pointer to a web page containing instructions for a set of exercises would be gratefully received, as I didn't understand a word of that.

"Everything in war is simple, but the simplest thing is difficult." Carl Von Clausewitz
Odge
E, Gold

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
[
Quote:
I would generally suggest using exercises such as the plank on its own or using an SB. Holding the correct pose for upwards of 30 secs will target the stabilisers. Include rotational work as this won't be used during cycling activities.
as I said, a pointer to a web page containing instructions for a set of exercises would be gratefully received, as I didn't understand a word of that.

How to do the plank - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU
most I can do in one go is 90secs, lad in our club do 4mins+ Shocked
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
madball wrote:
Quote:

What you need Roy is a good instructor who will teach you how to do the exercises in the correct manner. It is too easy to do exercises in the wrong manner when just using a website or dvd. When you have the correct techniques you can fit the exercises into your training regime.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
madball wrote:
Quote:

What you need Roy is a good instructor who will teach you how to do the exercises in the correct manner. It is too easy to do exercises in the wrong manner when just using a website or dvd. When you have the correct techniques you can fit the exercises into your training regime.

What?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
KJ wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
madball wrote:
Quote:

What?

or lifestyle
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
KJ wrote:
When you have the correct techniques you can fit the exercises into your training regime.
What?
The Gardiner Regime.

Monday-Friday: Home to work if it's not raining or freezing. 115 miles if 5 days.
Saturday and/or Sunday: Group ride 40-60 miles, conditions as above and if no other priority and ICBA.

Hardly any racing since Eastway's death, hoping to re-introduce some this year.

Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odge wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
[
Quote:

or not, actually Rolling Eyes

she's over-flexing her lumbar spine, her abdobinals are popping and her neck is in the wrong place. Apart from that, she's perfect ... Wink
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big-C wrote:
Odge wrote:
Roy Gardiner wrote:
[
Quote:

or not, actually Rolling Eyes

she's over-flexing her lumbar spine, her abdobinals are popping and her neck is in the wrong place. Apart from that, she's perfect ... Wink

See my post above Smile
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ wrote:
See my post above Smile
So is the general view that there are no simple exercises that can be learnt from a book or web page that will help a cyclist in upper-body where we so sadly lack? Are they all so complicated?

KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
KJ wrote:
See my post above Smile
So is the general view that there are no simple exercises that can be learnt from a book or web page that will help a cyclist in upper-body where we so sadly lack? Are they all so complicated?

My view anyway. It's very easy to perform an exercise incorrectly. At best it doesn't achieve what it's meant to achieve, at worst you can damage yourself.
Big-C
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy Gardiner wrote:
KJ wrote:
See my post above Smile

not particularly, however

1 - the plank is a supposed to be an ab exercise and for it to work (safely) it shouldn't be done as 'prescribed' in that poor video

2 - not everyone is good at visual learning or even understanding the concepts shown, so sometimes instruction directly is better.

In my experience (both personally and of clients) cyclists aren't that good at muscle recruitment, due to the nature of the exercise, they tend to think sympistically of 'pushing the pedals down' (which whislt that is what cycling ultimately is) there is more bio-mechanically to it
Roy Gardiner
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plank 1: [url] http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MHQmRINu4jU[/url]
Plank 2: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ar2iRusnnc&feature=related

Now the young Kiwi/Aussie looks 'better' (and I don't [size=7](just) mean cos she's wearing a bit less)[/size] in the sense of more fluid/relaxed, but is she doing it any better?

I can't tell.

This is hopeless -- who wants to go to an instructor for what's a secondary set of conditioning?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Health & Fitness All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: