Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Any clever solutions?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Any clever solutions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Any clever solutions? Reply with quote

Someone will have some clever solution for this one, I await a VR onslaught of putting things in ovens, or tapping hard in the correct spot:

My TT front wheel is a Planet X 82 deep section (tub). I put a valve extender on before I fitted the tub, all went on ok, pumped up fine and good to go. I left the extender in place.

At the last TT though one of my clubmates forgot the valve extender for his wheels - his are shallower so he can take his extenders off and get them back on. He couldn't pump his tyres up and was heading for a DNF so I took my extender out and lent it to him.

Now then: the valve is buried deep in the body of the 82mm rim, which is hollow so the valve has turned down. I've wiggled the extender round for all its life but it won't find the valve. The valve is done up, so I can't let the tyre down, so I can't pull the tub off the rim. It's gone down a little but nowhere near enough to be able to pull the tub off. So before I burst the tub, does anyone have any cleverer ideas for getting the extender back on?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you go into a zero gravity environment, you'll find that the valve magically aligns with the hole and you'll just be able to pop the extender on.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
I think if you go into a zero gravity environment, you'll find that the valve magically aligns with the hole and you'll just be able to pop the extender on.

Ok, I'll try that.

No. Didn't work. Anyone else?
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll teach you to take pity on others. I trust you have learned that it simply ain't worth it.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogma Dave wrote:
That'll teach you to take pity on others. I trust you have learned that it simply ain't worth it.

I'm surprised that no-one has pointed out the obvious answer to the problem which is don't bother, timetrials are pointless.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:

I'm surprised that no-one has pointed out the obvious answer to the problem which is don't bother, timetrials are pointless.

Well you may want to use the wheel in a road race or something, so worth perservering.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davey C wrote:
Rob of the Og wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:

Well you may want to use the wheel in a road race or something, so worth perservering.

Only a roadrace where I didn't want to be able to either brake, steer or hold a straight line in the slightest breeze.
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
Davey C wrote:
Rob of the Og wrote:
Dogma Dave wrote:

Only a roadrace where I didn't want to be able to either brake, steer or hold a straight line in the slightest breeze.

Ah.
Terry Tibbs
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn the extender upside down and stick it into the rim. Get as much purchase on the valve as poss, and loosen it off
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I can see 3 options short of bursting the tub:

1. Bit of metal or similar to try to locate the valve and stick the extender back up. Davey assures me this is possible but I'm looking at my stubby little fingers and thinking I might lack the dexterity.
2. Somehow deflate the tub: perhaps I can grab the valve with tweezers and unscrew it. Similar comments to point 1.
3. Somehow get the tub off without deflating it. Might be possible with enough brute force I guess.
Voodoo
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this the other day

But the valve wasn't screwed up. Ao after poking around for a while I managed to get the tub deflated.

How Frustrating.
wobbly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:

1. Bit of metal or similar to try to locate the valve and stick the extender back up. Davey assures me this is possible but I'm looking at my stubby little fingers and thinking I might lack the dexterity.
2. Somehow deflate the tub: perhaps I can grab the valve with tweezers and unscrew it. Similar comments to point 1.
3. Somehow get the tub off without deflating it. Might be possible with enough brute force I guess.

wait a bit longer for it to deflate naturally.....
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wobbly wrote:
Rob of the Og wrote:

That's the plan I've been following for the last 3 weeks. Now I want to speed the process up a bit before racing on Monday.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
That's the plan I've been following for the last 3 weeks. Now I want to speed the process up a bit before racing on Monday.

You could cool the wheel with liquid nitrogen - this would make the air shrink thus effectively deflating your tyre. You could then easily get it off with a small metal hammer.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Rob of the Og wrote:

You could cool the wheel with liquid nitrogen - this would make the air shrink thus effectively deflating your tyre. You could then easily get it off with a small metal hammer.

Ok. I now have small shards of carbon fibre and shattered rubber all over my living room. But the valve is no longer inside the rim. Might go to the pub now.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the core won't be tight will it

bent paper clip (so it looks like a pair of tweezers) and some insulating tape wrapped round the 'tweezing' end.

SO you sort of end up with two 5 or 10 mm long fingers to grip the serrated edge on the valve head.

not that i've ever had to deal with this of course Embarassed

I may have used 2 paperclips to give me 4 fingers........... but i sold the wheels 10 years ago so memory is fading......
Des

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
wobbly wrote:
Rob of the Og wrote:

Serves you right for using Conti tubs with butyl tubes. Vittoria wouls have been flat in a day Rolling Eyes
eastway82
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob of the Og wrote:
Davey C wrote:

Oh, you mean a 4th cat crit...?
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this has come back to the top, here's how the saga was resolved: I took the wheel to the club and had a few 'experts' look it at, realise the situation and then laugh at me. Eventually with two of us pushing together we loosened the tub on the rim and managed to get it free. When I got home I re-taped the rim and re-stuck the tub on complete with valve extender.

Unfortunately the valve extender had been damaged by my poking around in the valve hole so it came straight back off with the pump after I inflated it. So back to square one. This time the valve was open but I couldn't find it in the rim to deflate it. So again I summoned my strength and forced the tub off the rim fully inflated.

The next time I got a new valve extender and glued it to the valve so that it can't happen again. Also changed to a different brand of tub tape, I don't have so much faith in the stuff now that I know I can get them to roll off fully inflated. The wheel was ridden again in anger on Wednesday for a win in the club 10.
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small suturing forceps from a surgical suppliers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Tips & How To All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: