Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - "sorry for the inconvenience"

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

"sorry for the inconvenience"
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: "sorry for the inconvenience" Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8031530.stm
All I can say is "F*ck the motorists" what about the deceaseds family and friends?
I know quite a few people who would have been on that course today, very sad.
End of time trialling on the A1?

Last edited by billyam998 on Sun May 03, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iain Bonsall
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Says that, then he has to give reasoning to why it was necessary to close. Alsmot as if a cyclist being killed wasn't strong reason enough! Evil or Very Mad
gazrichards
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in that race and was riding up the opposite side of the cariageway a few moments after it happened.
The only way a car could hit a cyclist at that point n the road (dead straight, flat and had already passed about 15 riders before they reached him) is if they are a Evil or Very Mad not looking where they are going.
there is a long topic on the TTs forum at the moment about it all.
the rider was gareth evans from the army cycling union and 2nd claim at icknield road club.
such a shame and it could so easily have been any one of us.
mm1
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plod turned up at the start of our club run to ask if we were going to ride on the A1, about half an hour after the "accident". The language about being "involved in a collision" is suspect: sounds like lining up to blame the victim.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off-duty army major Gareth Rhys-Evans, 38, was involved in a collision with a car near Eaton Ford at about 0835 BST.

Insp Terry Furlong from Cambridgeshire Police said the crash, near the B645 junction, caused a great deal of disruption after the A1 was closed.

Maj Rhys-Evans, an army cycling union member, was taking part in the Icknield Road Club 25-mile time trial which began in Bedfordshire.

Insp Furlong said: "This has been out of our hands but the road closure was necessary for the safety of the ambulance staff, highways and police personnel dealing with the incident."

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "I can confirm that a serving army major was killed this morning in a road accident in Cambridgeshire."
Witherwind
E, Bronze

Location: Fixing a puncture on the Bristol ring road cycle path, probably....

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm1 wrote:
Plod turned up at the start of our club run to ask if we were going to ride on the A1, about half an hour after the "accident". The language about being "involved in a collision" is suspect: sounds like lining up to blame the victim.

No it's not, we stopped using the expression 'accident' a while back as it implied that no-one is to blame at Road Traffic Incidents. You'd do well not to pontificate about where 'blame' is likely to be apportioned when not in possession of the full facts, which none of us are.

Heated arguments are just an exchange of ignorance.
Raggy
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the "was in collision with a car", from what I've read so far it was a car that was in collision with the rider! Why don't thay say that a car killed a cyclist Evil or Very Mad
mm1
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what i was trying to point out. I understand that the intention in using the word "collision" instead of "accident" is to be neutral, but that's not how it comes across.

Of course thoughts are with the bereaved.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should not be any time trials on the A1 - it is far too busy
Assuming the cyclist was killed by a motorist not paying proper attention - the motorist should never be allowed to drive again
ColT
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raggy wrote:
I like the "was in collision with a car", from what I've read so far it was a car that was in collision with the rider! Why don't thay say that a car killed a cyclist Evil or Very Mad

Erm.....

Witherwind wrote:

No it's not, we stopped using the expression 'accident' a while back as it implied that no-one is to blame at Road Traffic Incidents. You'd do well not to pontificate about where 'blame' is likely to be apportioned when not in possession of the full facts, which none of us are.

http://fiftyyearsandcounting.wordpress.com/
racyrich2
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witherwind wrote:
mm1 wrote:

Fortunately someone who is in full possession of the facts, due to being yards away, has passed them on. The car was coming off the A1 onto a sliproad. It skimmed our witness and yards later hit the poor guy squarely from behind.
Dave Griffiths
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racyrich2 wrote:
Witherwind wrote:
mm1 wrote:

Fortunately someone who is in full possession of the facts, due to being yards away, has passed them on. The car was coming off the A1 onto a sliproad. It skimmed our witness and yards later hit the poor guy squarely from behind.

The dreaded 'V' situation. The risk is high on any road having fast entry and exit slips, as we all know. Drivers just don't appear prepared to 'ease off' and I have seen many literally 'fly across' from the outer lane, whip through between vehicles in the nearside lane and flash up a slip road. Example: on the A46, south from Coventry, taking the Kenilworth exit. We also have this risk, on our A45 TT course, with the A4071 slips and it can be really dodgy trying to judge whether 'you've been seen'.
legro

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fighting for Queen and Country, taking on the Taliban then getting killed doing sport
RIP Gareth Rhys-Evans Crying or Very sad

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aghillo
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legro wrote:
fighting for Queen and Country, taking on the Taliban then getting killed doing sport
RIP Gareth Rhys-Evans Crying or Very sad

Quite. Very, very sad.
heartbeat
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so so sad...the circumstances are similar to the sad loss of Pete Longbottom...there the driver received nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I wish there would be a review of the road traffic law. As stated already, we don't know the full facts and none of us can yet come to a conclusion of who is responsible (pretty sure it'll be the car driver....again) It's accepted within our society that we all jump into or metal boxes and charge around the roads going about our business, with, hopefully some thought for other road users. However, there are those who feel they have a god given right to 'own' the road and, if anything happens, its not their fault..'I did'nt see them mee Lord !!'...Once a person gets behind the wheel of a car they must realise they are fully responsible for their decisions and actions. Causing death by dangerous driving is difficult to prove in court, which is why alot of drivers receive disproportionate penalties, usually a conviction of death by careless .... as I said, this is so sad...my thoughts are with the family of the deceased....
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heartbeat wrote:
This is so so sad...the circumstances are similar to the sad loss of Pete Longbottom...there the driver received nothing more than a slap on the wrist. I wish there would be a review of the road traffic law. As stated already, we don't know the full facts and none of us can yet come to a conclusion of who is responsible (pretty sure it'll be the car driver....again) It's accepted within our society that we all jump into or metal boxes and charge around the roads going about our business, with, hopefully some thought for other road users. However, there are those who feel they have a god given right to 'own' the road and, if anything happens, its not their fault..'I did'nt see them mee Lord !!'...Once a person gets behind the wheel of a car they must realise they are fully responsible for their decisions and actions. Causing death by dangerous driving is difficult to prove in court, which is why alot of drivers receive disproportionate penalties, usually a conviction of death by careless .... as I said, this is so sad...my thoughts are with the family of the deceased....

well said +1