Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - "sorry for the inconvenience"

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

"sorry for the inconvenience"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
The mentality of motorists on that road is however that it is a motorway - which to all extent and purposes it is - and regardless of signs, motorists just don't expect to see cyclists on that road, regardless of traffic flows

Which is a sepearate matter from traffic volume, completely.

As it happens that stretch of the A1 has no motorway style intersections, but a number of junctions with small lanes/villages, a number of non-motorway style "tight" bends, and two flat roundabout junctions; so no it is not a motorway style dual carriageway, and is very different from the A1(M) north of Alconbury, and south of Stotfold.

Agreed, but the average driver on the A1 doing a long drive will still see it as a motorway, as there are still mostly just two lanes. Its like designating the M25 between junctions 8 and 10 as 'non motorway' and then sending cyclists onto it to race - the bloke in the car will still treat it as a motorway.
This is all an aside anyway, as this poor bloke was killed by an idiot who should never be allowed to drive again.
John McC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you now concede that your original comment about the A1 being too busy was incorrect?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
So you now concede that your original comment about the A1 being too busy was incorrect?

The A1 is too busy to have cycle races on. It is not suitable for cycle racing on. The only reason people race on there is to get artificially enhanced times which are meaningless.
John McC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Plurien lent you his blinkers?

That stretch of the A1 (at that time) according to traffic counts is not busy.

That stretch of the A1 doesn't have motorway characteristics; indeed it is not possible to drive as fast on this stretch as it is on the A1(M) to the north and south due to the nature of the road (not no mention the 50mph limit at Buckden and 60mph limit at Wyboston).
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
This is all an aside anyway, as this poor bloke was killed by an idiot who should never be allowed to drive again.

But who will probably drive to an from the court, as they have an xx year unblemished driving record, also know as xx years of not getting caught.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Has Plurien lent you his blinkers?

That stretch of the A1 (at that time) according to traffic counts is not busy.

That stretch of the A1 doesn't have motorway characteristics; indeed it is not possible to drive as fast on this stretch as it is on the A1(M) to the north and south due to the nature of the road (not no mention the 50mph limit at Buckden and 60mph limit at Wyboston).

I must tell my fellow drivers that - their actions on that road do seem to be totally at odds with your hypothesis.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt though, I am merely basing my comments on experience of driving up and down said A1 from Peterborough to North London 3 or 4 times a week and the occassional weekend, whilst you are basing your considerable knowledge of the road on your commute from Barnet / Sidcup
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
whilst you are basing your considerable knowledge of the road on your commute from Barnet / Sidcup

You really do talk some shyte sometimes.

Still doesn't detract from the point that racing a bicycle up the A1 is not safe due to drivers treating it like a motorway, no matter what time of day
John McC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
I am merely basing my comments on experience of driving up and down said A1 from Peterborough to North London 3 or 4 times a week and the occassional weekend, whilst you are basing your considerable knowledge of the road on your commute from Barnet / Sidcup

And I am merely basing my observations on frequent use of that stretch of road over the last 20 years on both bike and in car (including a high proportion on early Sunday mornings) . One does not need to use a road every day, or even every week to have a good knowledge of it.

I have also taken into account the many traffic counts performed by the District, which you have conveniently overlooked.

Last edited by John McC on Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
I am merely basing my comments on experience of driving up and down said A1 from Peterborough to North London 3 or 4 times a week and the occassional weekend, whilst you are basing your considerable knowledge of the road on your commute from Barnet / Sidcup

And I am merely basing my observations on frequent use of that stretch of road over the last 20 years on both bike and in car. One does not need to use a road every day, or even every week to have a good knowledge of it.

If you haven't noticed how other road users drive up and down the A1 John then - with respect - you need to see Martin Smith sharpish.
JONNO
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:
There should not be any time trials on the A1 - it is far too busy.

On this stretch of the A1, the traffic volumes at that time on a Sunday morning, are actually very light, a fact which is reflected in the frequent traffic counts that are taken.

The mentality of motorists on that road is however that it is a motorway - which to all extent and purposes it is - and regardless of signs, motorists just don't expect to see cyclists on that road, regardless of traffic flows

A very good point, I have seen pedestrians trying to cross it (quite legally, as is cycling or even taking horse drawn carriages etc on none motorway stretches), and quite literally taking their life in their hands sprinting to get to the central reservation.
I was being chased by a police dog last week, and made the mistake of trying to escape through a little tunnel, over a see-saw and through a hoop of fire. It finally caught me as I was weaving in and out of some sticks.
John McC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
If you haven't noticed how other road users drive up and down the A1 John then - with respect - you need to see Martin Smith sharpish.

You should try Green Lanes on my morning commute!
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
I have also taken into account the many traffic counts performed by the District, which you have conveniently overlooked.

I'm sure those traffic counts will be of great comfort to the family of the poor victim.
They don't take into account driver attitudes or speeds. The A1 is not safe to race on, or cycle on. Its just not worth the risk for the sake of an artificial time anyway
John McC

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
I'm sure those traffic counts will be of great comfort to the family of the poor victim.
They don't take into account driver attitudes or speeds. The A1 is not safe to race on, or cycle on. Its just not worth the risk for the sake of an artificial time anyway

Well of course traffic counts will be of no comfort to the family of the victim, that is not their purpose. Rolling Eyes
Davey C
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

And I am merely basing my observations on frequent use of that stretch of road over the last 20 years on both bike and in car (including a high proportion on early Sunday mornings) . One does not need to use a road every day, or even every week to have a good knowledge of it.

All your opinions aside - someone was just killed on it, suggests it needs to be relooked at.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the traffic counts then?
T12OTT
E, Bronze

Location: Floating upto the Roundhouse, before going to Croydon

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John McC wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Well of course traffic counts will be of no comfort to the family of the victim, that is not their purpose. Rolling Eyes

John perhaps you could explain what is the purpose of traffic counts?

My understanding is that it's nothing to do with safety, but unfair advantage!
Zipppy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
There should not be any time trials on the A1 - it is far too busy
Assuming the cyclist was killed by a motorist not paying proper attention - the motorist should never be allowed to drive again

As someone that use to love testing on the A1 some years ago, I too believe that the time has come to call it a day. Every time I drive on the A1 and many other courses come to think of it, I shudder to think, that anyone is allowed to hold a bike race on such roads.

We cant keep living in the past, and tragedy's such as this will only increase year on year.
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T12OTT wrote:

My understanding is that courses are banned if the traffic count is above a certain number. Clearly there is an unfair advantage at highter traffic counts but the purpose is to ensure a course is safe.
PNuT

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traffic count=unfair advantage

risk assesment=course is safe

basic H&S would suggest RA's are reviewed on a regular basis

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
John McC

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T12OTT wrote:

No, it's about safety.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: