Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Bigger gears for TT's than road racing?

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Bigger gears for TT's than road racing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingelephant
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Bigger gears for TT's than road racing? Reply with quote

I do road racing on a 50/36 front and 11/23 rear cassette. Having recently changed groupsets from 53/39 front and 12/25 cassette. I used this for TT's road racing and tri's on a road bike. I'm happy with both these setups.
BUT, I now have a tri/TT specific frame. Should I use the same gear ratio, or something bigger like 52/39 front and 11/23 cassette.
I'm not changing out the cassette. Just the chainset. So the choices are with a 11-23 cassette:
Chainset
53/39
52/39
50/34

I guess I could change the 34 inner to a 36.

HELP!
CarltonG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess this depends totally on you as an individual - if you are a spinner you shouldn't need to change. Perhaps best to try a few TT's then see if you are running out of big gears... if you are make the change - if not, putting bigger gears on for the sake of bigger gears tends to make you want to push them... if that's not your thang then you will go slower!
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A duathlate i used to train with set his bike up with the same basic ratio range, but using a 56/57T big ring and a 13 up cassette.

Gave him the same basic cadence/speed, but smaller ratio steps between the gears.

Seemed to work ok.
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Bigger gears for TT's than road racing? Reply with quote

flyingelephant wrote:
I do road racing on a 50/36 front and 11/23 rear cassette. Having recently changed groupsets from 53/39 front and 12/25 cassette. I used this for TT's road racing and tri's on a road bike. I'm happy with both these setups.
BUT, I now have a tri/TT specific frame. Should I use the same gear ratio, or something bigger like 52/39 front and 11/23 cassette.
I'm not changing out the cassette. Just the chainset. So the choices are with a 11-23 cassette:
Chainset
53/39
52/39
50/34

I guess I could change the 34 inner to a 36.

HELP!

50x11 is actually bigger than 53x12, and there isn't a huge difference between 50x11 and 53x11. If you already have the TT bike and it has a compact chainset then you won't lose much by sticking with it, but if you're starting from scratch you might as well go with the 53. Will you actually ride any TT's or tri's where you'll be using a 34x23??
flyingelephant
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I need to use the 34-23 i'd bring out the road bike with clip ons I think!
I don't want to be grinding up hills as most TT are rolling or hillyish. I use 175 cranks with a cadence of about 80 to 95 mainly.
With the extra aero advantage and body position, would the bigger gears be easier to push?
Rob of the Og
E, Gold

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingelephant wrote:
If I need to use the 34-23 i'd bring out the road bike with clip ons I think!
I don't want to be grinding up hills as most TT are rolling or hillyish. I use 175 cranks with a cadence of about 80 to 95 mainly.
With the extra aero advantage and body position, would the bigger gears be easier to push?

If you mean, "will I go faster?" then the answer should be yes if you can get a more aerodynamic position. Your body position on a TT bike may well make it harder not easier because the reduced hip angle will reduce your power output, but the benefits from aerodynamics will outweigh this at speed.

As I say though, 50x11 is bigger than 53x12 and 53x11 is only 6% bigger than 50x11 (same same effect as riding 50x11 at 85rpm instead of 80rpm) so you're not talking about enormous increases in gear sizes.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're spinning out of a 50x11 in a TT, then you've got bigger problems, such as whether to sign for Astana or Saxo Bank.
flyingelephant
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
If you're spinning out of a 50x11 in a TT, then you've got bigger problems, such as whether to sign for Astana or Saxo Bank.

How about Lances new team or Sky?
CarltonG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily agree with the if you can spin out on a 50x11 you should be a pro - unless you mean whilst either on the flats OR uphill? I am NO where near pro level yet have out spun myself on 53x11 and therefore have pushed that envelope to a 56x11 this year - some people can comfortably spin at massive cadences and others are gifted with a bit more strength versus straight speed. Seemed natural to me when I realised I was bobbing around like an idiot down hill that I WANTED a bigger gear... what the 56x12 allowed me to do was nearly mimic 53x11, then I just have another gear for that situation where I want to go faster but my legs won't...
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarltonG wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with the if you can spin out on a 50x11 you should be a pro - unless you mean whilst either on the flats OR uphill? I am NO where near pro level yet have out spun myself on 53x11 and therefore have pushed that envelope to a 56x11 this year - some people can comfortably spin at massive cadences and others are gifted with a bit more strength versus straight speed. Seemed natural to me when I realised I was bobbing around like an idiot down hill that I WANTED a bigger gear... what the 56x12 allowed me to do was nearly mimic 53x11, then I just have another gear for that situation where I want to go faster but my legs won't...

So are you doing 17 minute 10s?

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
CarltonG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite but I am capable of going quicker down a hill using a 56x11 than I could with my 53x11... my speedo says so Wink
wobbly
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarltonG wrote:

grrrr Evil or Very Mad
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've spun out of a 53x11? At a fairly relaxed 120rpm that's over 45mph - that's a hell of a TT course.
Des

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible on several TT course with "gift" hill starts. Marlow 25 course springs to mind.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
You've spun out of a 53x11? At a fairly relaxed 120rpm that's over 45mph - that's a hell of a TT course.

Des wrote:
It is possible on several TT course with "gift" hill starts. Marlow 25 course springs to mind.

Please note, definitions of "Spun out" may vary. A lot.
CarltonG
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we are in the post high cadence era that Lance re-publicised but somebody the likes of Nik Bowdler - of Time Trialling god like status pushes a 77 front chain ring and use a 11-19 rear block - at about 50-60rpm, I believe. All my point demonstrates is that for me - 120 is not really comfortable - I don't have a huge lung capacity... I can however leg press 300kg plus... ergo am more comfortable in around the 80-90 range... Not doing 45mph in too many TT's so not even on gift hills - but as I push a 56x11 on the flats at 30 ish mph - I find it easier to do so than doing the same speed in a smaller gear. Each to their own and all that but I think in the cadence argument the best anecdote I heard was if your lungs are burning and legs are ok you should probably look to bigger gears - the reverse is obviously true also - then again WTFDIK Smile
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarltonG wrote:
I guess we are in the post high cadence era that Lance re-publicised but somebody the likes of Nik Bowdler - of Time Trialling god like status pushes a 77 front chain ring and use a 11-19 rear block - at about 50-60rpm, I believe. All my point demonstrates is that for me - 120 is not really comfortable - I don't have a huge lung capacity... I can however leg press 300kg plus... ergo am more comfortable in around the 80-90 range... Not doing 45mph in too many TT's so not even on gift hills - but as I push a 56x11 on the flats at 30 ish mph - I find it easier to do so than doing the same speed in a smaller gear. Each to their own and all that but I think in the cadence argument the best anecdote I heard was if your lungs are burning and legs are ok you should probably look to bigger gears - the reverse is obviously true also - then again WTFDIK Smile

Or just get fitter. Idea

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
NikB
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

I regularly hit 45mph.
NikB
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattr wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Des wrote:

Spinning for me is about 120rpm which makes my legs hurt a bit but 60mph is fun Very Happy
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikB wrote:
mattr wrote:
Spinning for me is about 120rpm which makes my legs hurt a bit but 60mph is fun Very Happy
And as a comparison, i ride with a guy who 'spins out' when he gets to a cadence of about 90..... personally, 120 is fine/sustainable, pain sets in at about 140, and i can exceed 160 with out any issues (except the pain, coordination is ok tho).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: