Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Oxford City Road Club – Mid-Week TT’s, ‘What a Joke’….

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Oxford City Road Club – Mid-Week TT’s, ‘What a Joke’….

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrjs
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Oxford City Road Club – Mid-Week TT’s, ‘What a Joke’…. Reply with quote

I’m venting some frustration here!

Tonight I rode out to the mid-week OCRC 10m TT, (I’m not from round the area, but I’m staying locally tonight, so thought that I’d go along and ride a 2-up) I checked online, and was quite excited as I don’t very often get chance to compete these days mid-week.

I am totally alarmed at the attitude of those who appeared to be in charge of the signing on/time keeping – I arrived in plenty of time, unfortunately, aside from working out where the course went, we (with my female 2-up partner-who is kind of local, 50 minute ride away) then struggled to find the signing on, anyway……after some kind direction from the riders who had already successfully signed on in the local lay-by, we rode to the starting area (15 minutes before the first rider was due off) This is where my frustrations started…..

Upon approaching three (I assume OCRC members) I asked if ‘it might be possible please to ride a 2-up this evening’? Now, ordinarily, and had it been a local club in Northamptonshire/Leicestershire (my local clubs) they welcome new riders with open arms…..their first question however, ‘well what club are you from’?, I responded and told them, their next reaction ‘well not really….it’s a club event’, I asked ‘do you not allow guests then’? to be told ‘this is a club event’, now I wouldn’t mind some much had it not been said in such a fashion, and almost with sheer disgusted that we dare ask to join their midweek event. A couple of weak excuses followed, ‘urm, it’s the insurance element, if you have an accident’, the latter being ‘well you’ve missed the signing on cut-off anyway’ (FYI-I had checked online on the clubs website where they lay no reference as far as I can see, to it being a club event only, i.e. no guests)

Having been polite at the time, we opted just to ride away, my 2-up partner laughing at the situation in disbelief, while I was rather more p1ssed off with it…..

To further compound our collective frustrations, upon deciding to potter off home, we noticed while riding on the course a number of what appeared to be non-club riders, one couple dressed in High Wycombe kit doing a 2-up! (Didnt they just mention insurance issues or something??!!)

So from this touch point of the OCRC, is it fair to assume;

- They are the most unwelcoming club in Oxfordshire (possibly the UK! Believe me, I’ve never come across such in 18 years as a racing cyclist)
- They simply don’t like ‘out siders’ (as that’s how we’ve been made to feel)
- We should have just known that a ‘club event’ means ‘club event’
- Or our money, just wasn’t good enough

What happened to the cycling community sticking together, and trying to grow the sport and encourage participation – I thought that was our interest to encourage new blood, new member to our events? The sport needs open minds, and welcoming people, not old ‘fuddy duddy’, job’s worth’s I’ve met this evening…..I’d urge anybody new to the sport in Oxfordshire if considering joining a club, avoid the OCRC, if this is how fellow cyclist are treated, well…..

And to those that did ride tonight, and were kind enough to help point out the course, the start area, and the signing on, thank you, extremely friendly and approachable bunch – You unlike others, are a credit to your club.

Happy testing!

JS
PNuT

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how odd!

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every club will have a few tools in it; in my experience OCRC are a jolly decent bunch.

As for the guy in High Wycombe kit, ever heard of second claim membership?
mrjs
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Every club will have a few tools in it; in my experience OCRC are a jolly decent bunch.

To my point, those riding were all very friendly & helpful.....

Its the attitude that alarmed me!

Or course I'm aware of second claim membership, but had they been kind enough to actually explain the sitaution, rather than just 'well, not really'! I wouldnt have even made this point. Could we have not joined as second claim members if that was the issue!!??

These, shall we call them 'old school' mindsets are probably blissfully unaware that their actions last night have left the impression they have, if this is representative however of how potentially a new rider to the sport might be treated, then it becomes obvious why unlike other sports we dont have as much young blood out there.....probably why also testing is dominated by vet's in most open events....

JS
KJ
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

Some clubs have more tools than others, and some are just complete toolchests.

In 30 years I've come across one club in the North Lincolnshire and Humber area which treated me as an articulate member of society. Mostly I was good enough to make tea or marshall. Some real prima donnas out there which I'd appreciate if they could actually ride a bike. Very Happy
adriansell
Cat 4 Groupie
Cat 4 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just come back from the Oxford City Road Club Committee meeting where this post was discussed - I hadn't seen the above posts before. Although I think I bumped into you before the event as I was riding round in advance of marshalling.

Sorry you didn't end up riding and I don't know what happened as I wasn't at the start but my understanding is all London West club riders Are allowed to ride on club events within the district. And, as you say you should have been offered temporary or second claim membership at the very least. We have other clubs riding our events quite often and this is the first bad experience I've heard of.

So, to be clear, you should be able to ride our events, and I would hope that you would be made welcome. All I can suggest is that if you come back and get brushed off again, find another person in an Oxford City kit and get a second opinion!

Adrian
Dogma Dave
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is a time trial?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: