Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Merthyr 25 on 9th June

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Merthyr 25 on 9th June
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alexc wrote:
mho wrote:
Tucker wrote:
alexc wrote:
Is this the one,

http://www.rttc.org.uk/?&ge1246__geka=zDDQ-6ZV33MzjqeBwbmQrz_ANSkB_T7qN_S6WibhjZQz_o3nTnZ7uvtq6LX6A4Hs&ge1246__gevi=bkosVTEcmXX5ekdECVvBmA&gv484__gvac=2&gv484__gvff0=55166&gv484__gvfl0=0&language=en-GB&tabid=109

All local riders and look at the number of DNS's!!!! that is appalling, are people really that small minded?

Laughing

I don't see the problem - the organiser and this thread were intended to achieve that kind of result. If you want to get into the National Champs next year you will almost certainly need to ride this course once in the year if you live in the South/Mid England.

So these rider have saved money and get to pick another day what's the problem - they are being entirely logical.

Do you know FOR A FACT how many riders for the national this year used the cheat course for their qualifying time? or are you just making this *CENSORED* up.

Yes its a legitimate course so they are entirely within the rules.
Robabank
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:
alexc wrote:

Do you know FOR A FACT how many riders for the national this year used the cheat course for their qualifying time? or are you just making this *CENSORED* up.

Interesting answer, but not to the question actually asked. This year's 25 closed on a longish 56, which can be achieved by many riders (not everyone) on a variety of courses.
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

I didn't I would beat Hutch. I said that on a dog slow course on a windy day he (or someone who beat him) might do perhaps a 54, whereas I'm sure I could beat that on a float day on the Glynneath course

but what is your point? hutch doesn't use his slowest 25 of the year compared to everyone else's fastest!

im not sure you would beat his slowest 25 anyway.....

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

I didn't I would beat Hutch. I said that on a dog slow course on a windy day he (or someone who beat him) might do perhaps a 54, whereas I'm sure I could beat that on a float day on the Glynneath course

but what is your point? hutch doesn't use his slowest 25 of the year compared to everyone else's fastest!

Ugh. I give up.
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Ugh. I give up.

good, now eff off....

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:
PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Ugh. I give up.

good, now eff off....

Not until my bin is empty. Chop chop.
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:

busy today, i have a race to win Cool

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Ok, now eff off....
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

Ok, now eff off....

not just yet, its quite local....

mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robabank wrote:
Interesting answer, but not to the question actually asked. This year's 25 closed on a longish 56, which can be achieved by many riders (not everyone) on a variety of courses.

I don't see what's so unique about people traveling to a fast course in order to get a qualifying time for the National 25 (or any other championship). If you want to do well in the BBAR you ride certain courses and even certain events. Can you expand?

What question didn't I answer?
Robabank
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:

"Do you know FOR A FACT how many riders for the national this year used the cheat course for their qualifying time? or are you just making this *CENSORED* up." was the unanswered question.

Quote:
I don't see what's so unique about people traveling to a fast course in order to get a qualifying time for the National 25 (or any other championship). If you want to do well in the BBAR you ride certain courses and even certain events.
Sure, but it is by no means essential to ride Glynneath to qualify for the national 25 which is the only interpretation I can put to "If you want to get into the National Champs next year you will almost certainly need to ride this course once in the year if you live in the South/Mid England."
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, YES! I have turned tester against tester. They will destroy themselves in a SUPERNOVA of regulation/course code quoting.
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
Yes, YES! I have turned tester against tester. They will destroy themselves in a SUPERNOVA of regulation/course code quoting.

i think what mho was trying to say is as lots of people use the r25 to get a good starting position in the national 25.... & a few borderline testers who want to ride the national 25 as its being held in their district the following year may also make the trip.....

i know someone who drives 12 miles to waitrose when there is a nettos 3 miles away! work that one out tucker!!

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

i think what mho was trying to say is as lots of people use the r25 to get a good starting position in the national 25.... & a few borderline testers who want to ride the national 25 as its being held in their district the following year may also make the trip.....

i know someone who drives 12 miles to waitrose when there is a nettos 3 miles away! work that one out tucker!!

Ok - but first, "nettos"?
PNuT

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

they sell spoco food rather than dragstrip food.... perfectly edible but not to everyones taste

p.s another win for the season Very Happy

mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robabank wrote:
mho wrote:

"Do you know FOR A FACT how many riders for the national this year used the cheat course for their qualifying time? or are you just making this *CENSORED* up." was the unanswered question.

mho wrote:

I did answer the question... (sorry about the lack of punctuation)

I actually named them at one point if you were quick enough. How do I know? because they told me in conversation. All I did was ask a few riders in April why they had travelled so far. One finished in the top 10.

Hutch's qualifying time would also have been done on the R25/3 I'd have thought seeing as when comp record went he was second wasn't he?

What of it?

Oh and if this years National 25 closed on a 56 I could have entered on the strength of my ride in the same event on the R25/3 (and so could about 40 other riders).

Last edited by mho on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robabank
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mho wrote:

I did answer the question...

I actually named them at one point if you were quick enough.
What of it?

Correct me if I'm wrong (and explain where)

You stated:
"If you want to get into the National Champs next year you will almost certainly need to ride this course once in the year if you live in the South/Mid England."
What does this mean other than it's virtually impossible to qualify for the National Champs if you don't ride the Glynneath course?

alexc asked:
"Do you know FOR A FACT how many riders for the national this year used the cheat course for their qualifying time? or are you just making this *CENSORED* up. "
This is asking you to state that you know how many riders did use the Glynneath course a.k.a "the cheat course" to achieve their qualifying time, and ideally divulge how many, to demonstrate that very few riders used any other course for their quailfying time (they could of course have a slower time on a different course that would also be good enough to qualify, but let's not complicate matters).

And your "answer" was:
"Yes its a legitimate course so they are entirely within the rules."
This states neither that you know how many did use the course to set their qualifying time, nor divulges how many to back up your claim, it merely states that the course can be used to set a qualifying time that might get you in the National 25.

So:
Of the 150 riders who qualified for this year's national 25, how many set their qualifying time on the Glynneath course? And how many didn't? And do these two numbers back up the claim "If you want to get into the National Champs next year you will almost certainly need to ride this course once in the year if you live in the South/Mid England.", or is it, as alexc suggested, "you just making this *CENSORED* up." ?
mho
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha I thought you were asking if I knew riders had deliberately ridden the course to enter the national. As I said I know of several.

I'm not stating you can't get into the 25 champs if you don't ride the R25/3. I'm suggesting its easier and a fair proportion of rider will have a used a time on that course.

As for how many actually used a time on there you will need to ask organiser, neither of us has that information. An educated quess would suggest 5 of the top 10 in this years 25 probably did. Having said that those riders would have qualified anyway. One would need to do is compare the Record breaking day with this years 25 entry and in all probability those rider used that time.

I still don't really see what the issue is. If you are suggesting you don't need to ride the course to get into the national then fair enough. I agree.

My suggestion is of you want to guarantee an entry ride the course.

If you are suggesting the national 25 field is being unfairly manipulated then the answer is it isn't. The "cheat course" is open to everyone to enter because its a legal course. Yes the course "inflates the average standard" however in the past boroubridge, E72 and Didcot all did the same thing. Just like the Cirencester and Andover courses skew the 10 mile times of all the riders in the South.

That's the nature of timetrialling.

For the women I'd guess that for the last few years the top echelons of the womans BBAR used a time on that course. I've stopped being interewsted in such things since I stopped reading Cycling Weakly.

As for the R25/3, whilst it has a gift it does not have the other advantage of heavy traffic (especially lorries) in other areas of the country. So there are plenty of other "cheat" courses in that sense.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing It is as I foresaw

Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:
PNuT wrote:
Tucker wrote:

they sell spoco food rather than dragstrip food.... perfectly edible but not to everyones taste

p.s another win for the season Very Happy

spoco? dragstrip? SPEAK ENGLISH MAN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: