Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Alf Engers

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Alf Engers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan
E, Silver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Alf Engers Reply with quote

I know that Hansthatdodishes isn't a big TT fan but this is interesting , I thought.

http://www.veloresults.co.uk/2010/12/01/alf-engers-part-ii-the-record-or-i-can-go-fast-if-its-easy/
legro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alf was my hero

Fear leads to anger....Anger leads to Stress......Stress leads to Doobies...and Doobies leads to Twinkies

The spirit of Brian must live on
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An absolute Superstar.
StuartBen
E, Silver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the story points out, Alf was more than just a time triallist. To our surprise, at one point he asked if he could join the Archer club because he wanted to concentrate on track racing in which the club was particularly strong at that time. He did not ask what support he would receive and never asked for more than reasonable expenses, which was the same for everybody with aspirations.

Despite the initial track interest, he won the national 25 that year and coached Alaric G a y f e r to the junior title on the same day. With his TT ambitions he subsequently joined the more time trial orientated Unity CC, with whom we were and are good friends, and resigned with a very courteous letter thanking for the support received and returning his club jerseys in the hope that a youngster might make use of them.

He is a real gentleman although this should not be interpreted that other champions were disimilar. My experience is that top riders are usually courteous and a credit to the sport.
the boo
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article great man i have a photo of him presenting me with a trophy when i was a young schoolboy, always makes me smile, as he had a smile bigger than mine,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: