Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Time Trial thoughts

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Time Trial thoughts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
olamba
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Time Trial thoughts Reply with quote

would love to hear opinions on cyclists behaviour in Time Trials on public roads after a recent observation.I was driving back North on the A11 2 weeks ago & a TT was taking place on the Six Mile Bottom course(not sure how it's designated) a Quickvit rider was rejoining the inside lane coming off the roundabout & i was amazed that he did not look over his shoulder to see if there was oncoming traffic on the inside lane. i'd seen the signs so had already moved over. if he was driving a car would he have looked? was he relying on the car/van/truck driver to have seen the small event signs & pulled out? personally i think what he did was dangerous, firstly to himself & also to other road users.
i am a keen cyclist & also a ROSPA qualified advanced driving Instructor & teach my drivers about the danger of passing cyclists, wind effect & all the other possiblities to make them think not just about vehicles but other road users.
i am NOT of the anti-anything brigade.....

thoughts please
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he didn't look then he was wrong. I always look. If a vehicle is coming then I would indicate my intention of moving into the lane too. If however the vehicle was sufficiently behind then no - just move into the lane.

Incidentially the Cycle Event sign should not have been small - it should have been at least 1m tall (I think up to around 1.4m). If it was only around 60-70cm tall then the organiser was using the wrong sized sign for that type of road.

Paul
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's fair enough but the slip is on a slight bend & hard to see if anything is coming.
more worryingly last saturday southbound on the A1 (lincolnshire poss) a TT was on & a young lad driving on the inside seemed oblivious to what was going on, got closer & he was yakking away on his phone, flashed & gave him the horn & he then moved out.......Moron!
John McC

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

olamba wrote:
that's fair enough but the slip is on a slight bend & hard to see if anything is coming.
more worryingly last saturday southbound on the A1 (lincolnshire poss) a TT was on & a young lad driving on the inside seemed oblivious to what was going on, got closer & he was yakking away on his phone, flashed & gave him the horn & he then moved out.......Moron!

Sounds like the VTTA 25 Champs on the A25/25 near Newark.
olamba
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds right, looked painful to a few of them... Wink
Zarate
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Time Trial thoughts Reply with quote

olamba wrote:
would love to hear opinions on cyclists behaviour in Time Trials on public roads after a recent observation.I was driving back North on the A11 2 weeks ago & a TT was taking place on the Six Mile Bottom course(not sure how it's designated) a Quickvit rider was rejoining the inside lane coming off the roundabout & i was amazed that he did not look over his shoulder to see if there was oncoming traffic on the inside lane. i'd seen the signs so had already moved over. if he was driving a car would he have looked? was he relying on the car/van/truck driver to have seen the small event signs & pulled out? personally i think what he did was dangerous, firstly to himself & also to other road users.
i am a keen cyclist & also a ROSPA qualified advanced driving Instructor & teach my drivers about the danger of passing cyclists, wind effect & all the other possiblities to make them think not just about vehicles but other road users.
i am NOT of the anti-anything brigade.....

thoughts please
No but you are right, and Thomo is right. I've seen enough TT to worry that a significant minority of riders must get the red mist and believe everyone will avoid them or get out of the way because they are "racing". Near me is a motorway style DC which is used regularly, and it's not a question of if but when the serious accident will happen, if casual observation is anything to go by. Slip roads, roundabouts taken at speed (never mind the small matter of give way...), poor driving, riders drifting out to the offside edge of lane one. You know the rest.
A friend of mine went to a meeting about a proposed new RR a few months back, and the first reaction of the local authority people was "those loonies we see on Sundays using DC and other roads look vulnerable so ther's no way you can have this new race". Which would probably have brought a lot of money into a local economy! Tarred with the same brush, or what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: