Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Expensive Cafes ??

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Expensive Cafes ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> East Midlands General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingy wrote:
billyam998 wrote:
Thanks to kingy for reminding me, get your wallets ready for sunday, a trip to gates is scheduled.

normally don't bother stopping at Gates..roll down the hill and go to Ashwell garden centre. a bit cheaper, better coffee & eye candy, fewer grumpy old farts smelling of pee and less risk of having ya bike nicked.

You should work in sales.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunthorpe cafe is under new management and prices have gone up. Paid £2.95 for a tiny sliver of carrot cake yesterday.
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunthorpe Lock 2 bits of toast with jam and butter pot of tea $1.80p

3 weeks ago
windymiller
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Limes on a Sunday when you can't have a mug of tea without purchasing food!

http://www.ioptix.co.uk
Will Scarlet
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windymiller wrote:

You mean they won't let you eat your own food?
windymiller
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
windymiller wrote:

I personally have never eaten my own food in any cafe, like you I know of others but that's their business. It wouldn't be my choice of a tea stop either, Edwinstowe or Rufford preferably. I was correct in my first statement in that they wouldn't serve me a mug of tea without purchasing food.

kingy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandpro wrote:
Gunthorpe Lock 2 bits of toast with jam and butter pot of tea $1.80p

3 weeks ago

Dazzer
one dollar ninety pence ...is that some sort of jockenese pricing notation?
Kingy
TrickyDicky
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Scarlet wrote:
Gunthorpe cafe is under new management and prices have gone up. Paid £2.95 for a tiny sliver of carrot cake yesterday.

Was it out of a packet.............I had a piece a few weeks back there and it was in a cellophane wrapper and it was horrid!

THX 138
Fluffy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windymiller wrote:
Will Scarlet wrote:
windymiller wrote:

I personally have never eaten my own food in any cafe, like you I know of others but that's their business. It wouldn't be my choice of a tea stop either, Edwinstowe or Rufford preferably. I was correct in my first statement in that they wouldn't serve me a mug of tea without purchasing food.

I've seen you Laughing
windymiller
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffy wrote:
windymiller wrote:
Will Scarlet wrote:
windymiller wrote:

I've seen you Laughing

Rubbish, my manners and etiquette are impeccable as taught to me by my parents.

kingy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

today its the turn of the garden centre at Tollbar Nr stamford.

nice selection of cakes and beverages ... posh coffee n cake £3.60

acceptable levels of Latino eye candy as well..bloke taking orders & money could do with err refining his customer care skills Rolling Eyes
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 6 days of earlies I was unable to drag myself from my pit in time to get over to Melton, so off I went into the wind for a ride south of leicester. I eventually ended up at wistow garden centre, where there is a posh cafe bistro. Cup of coffee and beans, egg on toast, wait for it - - - -£5.50 Shocked
A bit on the expensive side, but coffee excellent and nice large portions of food, cake selection also looked amazing, so will go again when warmer.
One thing to note that there are some nasty cattle grids on the roads in all directions around there, managed to get across them with no mishaps, but wouldn't have liked to do them on my "best" wheels.
Bl**dy cold on the way out once I got the wind behind me the ride home was much more enjoyable. Must've been the egg and beans Embarassed
kingy
E, Silver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billyam998 wrote:
after 6 days of earlies I was unable to drag myself from my pit in time to get over to Melton, so off I went into the wind for a ride south of leicester. I eventually ended up at wistow garden centre, where there is a posh cafe bistro. Cup of coffee and beans, egg on toast, wait for it - - - -£5.50 Shocked
A bit on the expensive side, but coffee excellent and nice large portions of food, cake selection also looked amazing, so will go again when warmer.
One thing to note that there are some nasty cattle grids on the roads in all directions around there, managed to get across them with no mishaps, but wouldn't have liked to do them on my "best" wheels.
Bl**dy cold on the way out once I got the wind behind me the ride home was much more enjoyable. Must've been the egg and beans Embarassed

Wistow used to be a favorite stop of mine (ours?) until about 10 years ago when the new owners made it very clear that cyclists where not welcome...I remember him saying "and do not lean your bikes against the cafe exterior"

Hopefully that situation has been reversed
billyam998
E, Gold

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such problems today, I was the first customer (10:30ish), woman was very friendly and asked where I had come from etc, and the service was excellent, it might be a bit different on a club run when 20 lycra clad blokes descend upon the place without warning.
A nice part of the world and a good ride on some very quiet roads, I will deffo go again. Normans rides are great, but he does seem to have developed a "comfort zone" bit gutted I missed todays ride as I have not been there before.