Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Vote to get the North Mid events back on the A1

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Vote to get the North Mid events back on the A1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robabank wrote:
dockeca wrote:
So why does anyone want to ride on roads like this? For a fast time - is it worth risking your life in this kind of traffic for that?

When the RTTC used to split casualty figures into D/C and S/C groups, the dual carriageways were safer when you considered the actual number of racing miles on each. The maximum permitted traffic count of 1200 vehicles/hour is NOT high.

Doing TTs on a fast 60mph single carriageway is just as stupid. Doing (sporting) TTs on the type of roads used for RRs makes vague sense.
Billynobrakes
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy H wrote:
Is this thread a joke or something?

The day that testing is banned on Dual Carriageways cannot come soon enough.

I'm sick of being asked at work if ' I was one of the idiots riding up the A1'

For a lot of people this is the only cycle 'race' they ever see. It is beyond stupidity and does nothing but harm to the sport as a whole in my opinion.

We strive to get some respect on the roads - and some people decide its a good idea to ride at 25mph on a 70+mph road and wonder why drivers get upset...

What he said I'm afraid
Observer
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out to take a look at the BTTC yesterday. LOads of riders, very few problems, a brilliant days racing topped by class rides from Emma Pooley and Brad Wiggins. I'm thinking, why can't all TTs be like this? Compared with bashing up and down major roads, risking yourself with traffic, this showed the differences between riders far more than whether it was a "fast" day or course, or a "slow" one. The differences are the same! Watching that, I wonder what all the fuss about the A1 is about, and why? If clubs who don't use these "fast" courses (traffic assisted?) don't get decent entries, then don't run the races. Once there are no main road bashes in the traffic, everyone will get the message, the riders will adjust, and the sport goes on. Or is this too hard to work out?
Hugh Jardon
Cat 1 Groupie
Cat 1 Groupie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at all sure there's any real difference in safety between DC and SC. As a commuter I spend a lot of my time looking out for likely mistakes by motorists and taking action to reduce my risks. As an occasional time triallist I do nothing of the sort and have even found myself behaving slightly dangerously when encountering obstacles. I dare say I'm not alone. I suspect there is however a difference between road racing and time trialling with the former probably a fair bit safer at least in terms of fatalities.
Robabank
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hugh Jampton wrote:
I went out to take a look at the BTTC yesterday. LOads of riders, very few problems, a brilliant days racing topped by class rides from Emma Pooley and Brad Wiggins. I'm thinking, why can't all TTs be like this? Compared with bashing up and down major roads, risking yourself with traffic, this showed the differences between riders far more than whether it was a "fast" day or course, or a "slow" one. The differences are the same! Watching that, I wonder what all the fuss about the A1 is about, and why? If clubs who don't use these "fast" courses (traffic assisted?) don't get decent entries, then don't run the races. Once there are no main road bashes in the traffic, everyone will get the message, the riders will adjust, and the sport goes on. Or is this too hard to work out?

Several reports of riders getting delayed by traffic, having "moments" with parked cars (quite possibly thoughtless spectators . . . ). No accidents AFAIK, just like the vast majority of TTs. It's relative times that matter regardless of the course used, but that would be just like riding a kilo or pursuit somewhere other than Manchester, which the BCF have boasted is really quick. Of course if you wanted to be impartially critical you could compare D/C time trial casualty rates with those in S/C time trials vs training mileage vs commuting miles - take a punt as to which is the daftest.
Observer
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given parked cars in the village caused some problems, but guess what? There were two cars early on, during the day it was packed, and after the race two cars again. Now, who can work out the owners of the other - thoughtlessly from the race point of view - parked cars?? Own worst enemies, or just too selfish/idle to park off the route and walk/ride for a couple of minutes?
Patrick
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what everyones moaning about, just done a chain gang along the M1 heading north.
bushman
E, Silver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my previous job I took the International Sales Manager of a high end bike brand to visit some dealers in the north of England. As we drove down the A1 at Catterick I mentioned that we rode TTs on that road-at first he thought I was joking especially when I told him the road wasnt closed. When he eventually beieved me he thought we were insane to race on a road like that. He was right.
Time we moved on dont you think?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushman wrote:
In my previous job I took the International Sales Manager of a high end bike brand to visit some dealers in the north of England. As we drove down the A1 at Catterick I mentioned that we rode TTs on that road-at first he thought I was joking especially when I told him the road wasnt closed. When he eventually beieved me he thought we were insane to race on a road like that. He was right.
Time we moved on dont you think?

But how else will the mediocre ever get long 19s?
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/8279200.stm
ct
Elite Poster
Elite Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It saddens me to say this but I think the BBC report refers to Baz Clarke. His recent passing is recorded on the Time Trialling forum:

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37507

I'm of the era that remembers Baz Clarke. He was such a likable man. He always had time for a word of encouragement.

CT
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct wrote:
It saddens me to say this but I think the BBC report refers to Baz Clarke. His recent passing is recorded on the Time Trialling forum:

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37507

I'm of the era that remembers Baz Clarke. He was such a likable man. He always had time for a word of encouragement.

CT

There is a decent sized tribute to Bas Clarke in todays local paper. when its online I'll put the link up
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/Tributes-to-cyclist-killed-in.5697776.jp
psychic_dog
Cat 3 Groupie
Cat 3 Groupie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy H wrote:

I get this every monday, mostly from people living in newmarket that use the E2 bit of road. It does get pretty hard to justify if I'm honest, especially the 2pm starts aimed at maximum traffic levels....
Wheezer!
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy H wrote:

For a lot of people this is the only cycle 'race' they ever see. It is beyond stupidity and does nothing but harm to the sport as a whole in my opinion.

We strive to get some respect on the roads - and some people decide its a good idea to ride at 25mph on a 70+mph road and wonder why drivers get upset...

We have every right to be on the roads, any road, barring M ways, until the law says otherwise.
And no I don't 'test' anymore.
Racing is all about 'going fast' and that includes bashing up and down drag strips. They have their virtues and dare I say it safety features. You won't plough into a tractor on a corner hidden behind a high hedge on the A1.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezer! wrote:
Andy H wrote:

We have every right to be on the roads, any road, barring M ways, until the law says otherwise.
And no I don't 'test' anymore.
Racing is all about 'going fast' and that includes bashing up and down drag strips. They have their virtues and dare I say it safety features. You won't plough into a tractor on a corner hidden behind a high hedge on the A1.

Just because we have the "right" to do something doesn't mean it isn't a stupid idea. You have the right to down a litre of gin then w*nk into a pot noodle.

And whilst you might not plough into a tractor, you might go under the wheels of a giant lorry at 60mph. I know which I'd prefer.
Wheezer!
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then fight your corner and stand up for your rights. The wider non cycling general public has no bloody idea what it's like out there.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheezer! wrote:
Then fight your corner and stand up for your rights. The wider non cycling general public has no bloody idea what it's like out there.
sounds like you missed the point......
Robabank
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tucker wrote:
And whilst you might not plough into a tractor, you might go under the wheels of a giant lorry at 60mph. I know which I'd prefer.
Which, and why? Do you actually have any stats to reinforce your view of the relative safety of single carriageway and dual carriageway courses? And how do these numbers compare to cycle commuting, injuries per rider mile? Be a shame if we had to ban that too.
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robabank wrote:
Tucker wrote:
Which, and why? Do you actually have any stats to reinforce your view of the relative safety of single carriageway and dual carriageway courses? And how do these numbers compare to cycle commuting, injuries per rider mile? Be a shame if we had to ban that too.

I'd prefer to plough into a tractor, cos I think I'd be more likely to live. No stats I'm afraid, I'm not sure anyones done a study.

Do you have any reason to suspect I believe that single carriageways are safer than dual carriageways?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: