Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - Alex Dowsett

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

Alex Dowsett
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
They should ban time trials and testers.
Bunch of headcases dodging lorries and cars in the name of sport, chasing artificial times that mean nowt

Hmm yes, cos all TT's are run on DC's aren't they?
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing i like best about testers is they never get defensive. Laughing

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hibbs wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
I simply mean that it must say something about their organisation if they've written their own rules which dont allow any discretion to award an entry to riders such as Mr Dowsett, what's that all about? Regardless of whether they could or could not get him to ride this time, why is there no provision to allow him to enter? Bizarre no?
Because back in the 50's, where the CTT inhabit, there aren't any foreign based pro Brits.
Their organisation? I'll bet it's your organisation too - your club will be a member so that means it's your organisation. And the rules are democratically proposed and voted upon by representatives of it's members. So again that's you (in effect). The rules are updated every year if they need to be and the members agree. Just like every other organisation, like BC for example.
The rules regarding entry and participation in the CTT National Championships were re-written not that many years ago (maybe 5 or 6?).
That entry to an event requires some sort of qualification is hardly something unique to time trialling, and is common in other parts of cycle sport and certainly very common in many other sports too. Why people think that would be different for a Championship event is simply showing how ignorant they are.

Paul
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisM wrote:
I simply mean that it must say something about their organisation if they've written their own rules which dont allow any discretion to award an entry to riders such as Mr Dowsett, what's that all about? Regardless of whether they could or could not get him to ride this time, why is there no provision to allow him to enter? Bizarre no?
Plenty of other organisations do that. The US athletics do for example. If you don't qualify from the US champs there is no going to the olympics or world champs. Doesn't matter if you are the defending olympic or world champion or world record holder, you haven't qualified, you don't go.
Hans Datdodishes
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megman wrote:
ChrisM wrote:
Plenty of other organisations do that. The US athletics do for example. If you don't qualify from the US champs there is no going to the olympics or world champs. Doesn't matter if you are the defending olympic or world champion or world record holder, you haven't qualified, you don't go.

Yer but we're not talking about the USA Olympic committee. we're talking about a bunch of old farts who 'govern' headbangers razzing up and down roads for no earthly reason at 5:00 in the morning.
Stupid, outdated 'sport'. The sooner events are decided on points and the headbangers place more weight on positions than times the better.

I'm a qualified coach.
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Megman wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Yer but we're not talking about the USA Olympic committee. we're talking about a bunch of old farts who 'govern' headbangers razzing up and down roads for no earthly reason at 5:00 in the morning.
Stupid, outdated 'sport'. The sooner events are decided on points and the headbangers place more weight on positions than times the better.

I agree with the positions bit. That is probably due to my RR background. When I do TT's, and they are predominantly spoco's and hillys it is the position I place in the field that floats my boat rather than time. It is your ranking on the day that matters, not that you happened to turn up on a float day.
richyrich
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
Megman wrote:
ChrisM wrote:

Like the Rudy Project series. Rolling Eyes

You pays your money you takes your choice.
Megman
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the Team Midland time trial series (which I compete in). Organised into categories and you score points within your category, just like BC.

Although Hans the point I was replying to was about the CTT being outdated as they don't have an exceptions rule to allow anyone they would like to see enter a national competition.
richyrich
Cat 2 Groupie
Cat 2 Groupie

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distinction between amateur and professional is somewhat grey now, but the CTT Champs are an amateur championships.

Really the pro's should have something else better to do.

If I'm not mistaken the BC Div Champs are on the same day. Why not EOL? Smile
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richyrich wrote:
The distinction between amateur and professional is somewhat grey now, but the CTT Champs are an amateur championships.

That's the 10. Another good bit of planning cross organisation to arrange a championship and divs road race on same day.

Divs for me.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlane wrote:
That's the 10. Another good bit of planning cross organisation to arrange a championship and divs road race on same day.

Divs for me.
Only so many weekends in a racing season... something is always going to clash. They have been the same weekend for... probably nearly 20 years?

Paul
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Des wrote:
Thomo wrote:
benlane wrote:

Divs for me.
Only so many weekends in a racing season... something is always going to clash. They have been the same weekend for... probably nearly 20 years?

Paul
Ten champs only started in 1994 IIRC.
For men it might... but for women and juniors it's been going much longer, and they have divi's too...

Paul
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richyrich wrote:
Hans Datdodishes wrote:

Like the Rudy Project series. Rolling Eyes

You pays your money you takes your choice.

The Rudy series is hardly a resounding success is it...
MadCow
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlane wrote:
richyrich wrote:

Divs for me.

[lights touchpaper]Unified orgnaising bodies would sort this out. [stands back] Wink

Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadCow wrote:
[lights touchpaper]Unified orgnaising bodies would sort this out. [stands back] Wink
Unlikely... As I said - too many major events and too few weekends... Look at the CiCle Classic and Dalby Forest World Cup MTB clash for a major example as to where BC have similar clashes.

Paul
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hans Datdodishes wrote:
OK - so we consider Mr A Dowsett on his performances since Jan 1 2009. One win in a field of 31, and two DNS. How many points would that give?
PNuT

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Yep Reply with quote

McDonalds wrote:
Yep bizzare situation, I cdnt get in the national 10 because I didn't have a time in last 12 months, was 2nd last time I rode 2 years ago

http://www.rttc.org.uk/?gv484__gvac=2&gv484__gvff0=53915&gv484__gvfl0=0&language=en-GB&tabid=109

not you?

http://www.pedalrevolution.co.uk
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this time came after the closing date,Pnut.

Makes a point though.
benlane
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissylaa wrote:

Makes a point though.

That 10 Pnut put up was in May 2009, closing date for this years national was a few weeks back. So i'd say the ride was within the qualifying period.
Chrissylaa
E, Gold

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlane wrote:
Chrissylaa wrote:

Makes a point though.

That 10 Pnut put up was in May 2009, closing date for this years national was a few weeks back. So i'd say the ride was within the qualifying period.

OOPS, i thought it was that one from last week. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: