Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk :: View topic - 2010 National 25m TT Champs website

Home FAQ Register Usergroups Search Memberlist Gallery StatisticsForum Sponsors •  Photo RequestProfile • Links Log in to check your private messagesLog inBC Eastmidlands

2010 National 25m TT Champs website
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 National 25m TT Champs website Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I don't think I do.

All you've said is that the rules have been applied by the book and therefore everything is fine and dandy.

Put the rule book down for a moment... Surely any organisation (regardless of what it does) should first and foremost be concerned with operating in a way that is in its own best interests. If we presume that that's right, read the question again and answer it.

In the meantime I'll have a burger. Very Happy
That's a completely different question to the one presented originally.

However I'll pass on directly answering as I think you have enough information at hand to know the answer anyway.
But I will say this: Would you rather a sport (any sport) is run within the rules that everyone signs up to when taking part, or would you rather the sport can change the rules as they see fit during the event?
I know I'd rather have a sport that stuck to the rules we all knew. To be honest, that is in the best interest of the sport.
Rules can be changed, of course, but not halfway through.

Paul
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 National 25m TT Champs website Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
Billy Boy wrote:
I don't think I do.

All you've said is that the rules have been applied by the book and therefore everything is fine and dandy.

Put the rule book down for a moment... Surely any organisation (regardless of what it does) should first and foremost be concerned with operating in a way that is in its own best interests. If we presume that that's right, read the question again and answer it.

In the meantime I'll have a burger. Very Happy
That's a completely different question to the one presented originally.

However I'll pass on directly answering as I think you have enough information at hand to know the answer anyway.
But I will say this: Would you rather a sport (any sport) is run within the rules that everyone signs up to when taking part, or would you rather the sport can change the rules as they see fit during the event?
I know I'd rather have a sport that stuck to the rules we all knew. To be honest, that is in the best interest of the sport.
Rules can be changed, of course, but not halfway through.

Paul

I haven't changed the question at all! Laughing

I think rules should be there for guidance and complied as a general principle. However, there are times when the not so common "common sense" should come into play, and this goes for all walks of life, not just sport.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 National 25m TT Champs website Reply with quote

Thomo wrote:
Bally wrote:
[/Paxman mode]
SIMPLE QUESTION, IS IT IN THE SPORT'S (IE TIME TRIALLING) BEST INTERESTS TO EXCLUDE SOMEONE WHO DID A SUB 50 MINUTE RIDE IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS FROM WHAT PURPORTS TO BE A NATIONAL TITLE?
[/Paxman mode]
Read the replies on the other forum and here.

Besides the question wouldn't apply to this years event as none of that has happened. No rider who entered with a sub 50 minute qualifying ride would ever have his entry rejected on that basis (and none have this year), and no-one would deny that if such a thing happened it would be good for the sport.

Paul

You're worse than any politician. I've read the topics on the other forum as you well know but you still haven't answered the question!
SIMPLE QUESTION, IS IT IN THE SPORT'S (IE TIME TRIALLING) BEST INTERESTS TO EXCLUDE SOMEONE WHO DID A SUB 50 MINUTE RIDE IN THE PAST 18 MONTHS FROM WHAT PURPORTS TO BE A NATIONAL TITLE?
"real class" - George Gilbert"
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was running this Event Alex Dowsett would defo be riding , i hate guys that stick to the rules to the letter , very poor Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.nottinghamforest.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandpro wrote:
If i was running this Event Alex Dowsett would defo be riding , i hate guys that stick to the rules to the letter , very poor Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

coming from someone who's had a ban Laughing
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bally wrote:
highlandpro wrote:

coming from someone who's had a ban Laughing

shut it u muppet, it was a witch hunt !

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would a 21st century pro want to ride one of those flat-earther's events anyway?
Bally
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Wink
highlandpro
Div 3 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve McGinty wrote:
Why would a 21st century pro want to ride one of those flat-earther's events anyway?

I think he could woop the Hutch Wink

www.wheelsmith.co.uk
www.metaltek.co.uk
www.meltonolympic.co.uk
Steve McGinty
Div 2 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highlandpro wrote:
Steve McGinty wrote:

I think he could woop the Hutch Wink

As could most of the pro peloton. Why would they bother?
Adam
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like the majority of disciplines in our rapidly growing world of cycling are making an effort to be marketable to a wider audience, and to engage the current audience.

Take something like the National Championships for example, I bet if Wiggins or Cavendish entered later than the closing date, the matter would be overlooked for the good of the sport, and for the promotion of the event. Yes, they haven't adhered to the rules and the organiser is well within their rights to prevent them from riding, but they wouldn't.

Time trialling in my mind seems to be one of the few subcultures in cycling that seem content on preventing their discipline from progressing, because one tester that filled the criteria would have to be sacrificed in order to allow one that didn't, who would actually make it interestingly competitive at the top.

http://twitter.com/adamtranter
JC
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute rubbish.How fast the rider has been in the past or how fast he may be on the day is nothing to do with it. You argue that as the rider is fast he should be an exception to the rules which are quite clearly stated in the handbook. I would argue that a fast rider only needs to ride one 25 event to post a time which would qualify him to get in the event. There have been ample events since Jan of the previous year for anyone to have a chance to post a qualifying time.
mattr
World Champ

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC wrote:
Absolute rubbish.How fast the rider has been in the past or how fast he may be on the day is nothing to do with it. You argue that as the rider is fast he should be an exception to the rules which are quite clearly stated in the handbook. I would argue that a fast rider only needs to ride one 25 event to post a time which would qualify him to get in the event. There have been ample events since Jan of the previous year for anyone to have a chance to post a qualifying time.
are you the 150th fastest qualifier?
John McC

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a pity that Alex will not be riding the National 25, as he is a highly talented rider, and the event needs good riders especially out of the traditional time trailling arena, to add credibility to it.

However, the rules are black and white and provide a level playing field for everyone. There is no room for discretion or flexibility; no matter who you are you need a qualifying time in an open, semi-open or association event in this or the last season. Seems reasonable enough to me, and easy enough to comply with, if one really wants to.
Robabank
E, Bronze

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2010 National 25m TT Champs website Reply with quote

Bally wrote:

No.
Simple Question 2: Have they done that? I'll make it even easier with two choices - No/No

Less Easy Question 3: UCI World Road and Track Champs qualification relies on performances over what preceding period?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'kin 'ell. Testers are a thick bunch, aren't they?
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2010 National 25m TT Champs website Reply with quote

Robabank wrote:
Bally wrote:

No.
Simple Question 2: Have they done that? I'll make it even easier with two choices - No/No

Less Easy Question 3: UCI World Road and Track Champs qualification relies on performances over what preceding period?

Maybe rephrasing the question might help - IS ALEX DOWSETT A MEDAL CONTENDER IN WHAT PURPORTS TO BE A NATIONAL TITLE?

If the answer is yes, then excluding him devalues the result, no matter which hoops he has failed to jump through.
Billy Boy
T de F Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise testers were so adept at not reading questions, quite impressive stuff really.

"Eating is not for wimps" - coal miner

"most of us don't have your brilliance." - John McC
Tucker
Tour Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
I didn't realise testers were so adept at not reading questions, quite impressive stuff really.

They're really good at reading questions, but only on float days.
Thomo
Div 1 Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Boy wrote:
You simply don't want to hear the answer given that's all.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cycling Forums UK : www.veloriders.co.uk Forum Index -> Discussion (Time Trials/Hill Climbs) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: